ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Weird amp problem

OK, so I got my replacement amp come through (cos my old one broke).

Wired it all up properly, as it was before, everything works as it should when in ignition 1, but when i flick the switch around to ignition 2, I get this weird high static frequency buzzing, which goes away when I flick it down to ignition 1 again.

Can anyone help as to what I've done wrong?

Any help is appreciated.

​Thanks!

Polo + Micra
bad earth that is highlighting the noise given off by the fuel pump imho

double check the earth

could also be a PoS amp?

Also get a very bad whining/buzzing when engine is on, it changes with the rpm of the engine too. Will get a video up once its uploaded.

Checked the earth at the amp, looks fine and has clean connections either end

Polo + Micra
bad earth you will need to test it

i took my amp out before and stuck it back in exactly the same but was getting a low voltage indicator on the amp

turned out to be the earth;)

bad earth you will need to test it

i took my amp out before and stuck it back in exactly the same but was getting a low voltage indicator on the amp

turned out to be the earth;)

Ok I'll get a video of where it earthed to and what everything looks like on the amp.

I sent this to the guy that fit all my speakers and amps and stuff before hand and he said this:

null_zps1043994e.png

ITB BG 182
Finding an earth on the clio is not a pain, go in the boot and use the bolt that fixes the ISOBAR thing to the floor, it works perfectly fine for my now 1600rms mono and 800rms 4ch amp.

The buzzing could be a bad earth, COULD... But also now your amp is fully working, make sure that none of your speaker wires are running with your main power or earth wires. IF you have a good quality power and earth wires that are armoured plus your speaker wires that have a sheild then thats should be ok, if theyre a cheapo caraudiocentre amp kit then they not be shielded. Also make sure you have the right thickness of power/earth for your amp, if its not getting enough juice it will clip.

You can also check on the web for some thing called TB3, alt - chassis, chassis - ground, alt to battery. I think.

Finding an earth on the clio is not a pain, go in the boot and use the bolt that fixes the ISOBAR thing to the floor, it works perfectly fine for my now 1600rms mono and 800rms 4ch amp.

The buzzing could be a bad earth, COULD... But also now your amp is fully working, make sure that none of your speaker wires are running with your main power or earth wires. IF you have a good quality power and earth wires that are armoured plus your speaker wires that have a sheild then thats should be ok, if theyre a cheapo caraudiocentre amp kit then they not be shielded. Also make sure you have the right thickness of power/earth for your amp, if its not getting enough juice it will clip.

You can also check on the web for some thing called TB3, alt - chassis, chassis - ground, alt to battery. I think.

I'll get a video of how everything's earthed and how my set ups all run.

Really don't wanna splash out for a new head unit...

R.J

2003 1.2 16v Clio
I installed an amp in my friends fiat punto and we had the exact same problem. the earth would be the first thing to check. could check if it is or not by earthing the amp to the rear light earth point, if the amp is in the boot although we still had the same problem after doing this so after checking the power and rca's we connected all the wires to an active vibe subwoofer and it worked fine. i hope you find a solution because my friend ended up buying a new amp. good luck

I installed an amp in my friends fiat punto and we had the exact same problem. the earth would be the first thing to check. could check if it is or not by earthing the amp to the rear light earth point, if the amp is in the boot although we still had the same problem after doing this so after checking the power and rca's we connected all the wires to an active vibe subwoofer and it worked fine. i hope you find a solution because my friend ended up buying a new amp. good luck

It's not a problem with the amp, as its brand spanking new.

Here's a vid of how its all set up

Last edited by a moderator:

R.J

2003 1.2 16v Clio
Thats strange. people say you sholuldn't run all cables down one side but i have mine set up down the same side as you and i have no issues at all. yeah try grounding on the bolt at 3:29 in your video or the grounding point in the boot. If that still doesnt solve the issue then the only thing i can think of is an issue with the headunit.
-R.J

R.J

2003 1.2 16v Clio
yeah that bolt is a real job to undo. have some wd40 to hand and avoid snapping it like i did! (off topic but you have mad editting skill's Dan! the drift edits are insane)

it also made a really wierd loud noise today, then another small pop, (I put the gain down low on the amp, then turned it up a little bit more than normal on the HU to compensate and dont get much of a buzz) but it hasnt broken the amp like last time.

It was like a wierd high pitch kinda noise, made me jump!

I'm just not gonna use it until I get it sorted.

R.J

2003 1.2 16v Clio
this may be a stupid question but have you tried playing music from a different source on the HU (like usb or cd) because the only other thing i can think of is it being a problem with the ariel. if your still having problems after checking all connections on the HU i would take it to a car audio shop and let them have a look, sure they will have seen this problem before. if you do get it fixed i would be interested in knowing what the problem was!
-R.J

Polo + Micra
the connections on your amp arn't great tbh cable looks to big for the connections

i've never run rca and power down oppersite sides and never had a problem (i stuggle to see how it would cause problems)

you could try and external input into the amp see if it still happens

this may be a stupid question but have you tried playing music from a different source on the HU (like usb or cd) because the only other thing i can think of is it being a problem with the ariel. if your still having problems after checking all connections on the HU i would take it to a car audio shop and let them have a look, sure they will have seen this problem before. if you do get it fixed i would be interested in knowing what the problem was! -R.J

Yeah ive tried my iphone and FM radio, both do it.

Also, that "Carl Hughes" that i posted the facebook message, is the owner of a car audio store, so I'm guessing he might be right :/

Last edited:
the connections on your amp arn't great tbh cable looks to big for the connections

i've never run rca and power down oppersite sides and never had a problem (i stuggle to see how it would cause problems)

you could try and external input into the amp see if it still happens

Yeah the 4 guage is quite big for the amp terminals, but they were working fine beforehand.

How do I use an external input, could I just get a headphone jack to RCA and plug that into the amp? And use my iPhone?

Polo + Micra
yeah exactly that.

if it's fine like that it's a hu problem if not it's an amp problem.