ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Weight saving & Roll Cage

Hi all, I'm pretty new to the forum

Me and a few mates have recently bought a Ph1 Clio 172 as our first track car http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?753555-First-Track-Car-Clio-172-Phase-1-project

We've stripped everything out and started grinding out the waste metal inside the shell but my question is how far can you go? Do the fixed windows, doors and boot all add to the chassis structure or can you grind the doors/boot down to just the outer skin and replace the windows with polycarb without effecting the structure? Plan is to eventually fit a cage that will obviously add to the structure but I wouldn't want to start letting the OEM chassis structure slip, so that leads on to the next question, for track use only what is the best cage for the money?

I've got an R32 golf and I know on the Mk4,5 & 6 its advised not to replace windows as they add to the body structure, its minor but it still helps the overall chassis.

Also honestly how good is the members section on here and is there plenty to look at in the classifieds? :)

Cheers!

PB172,dci100,dci65
Hi, you are new to the Clio world, have a track car...i think its very useful to pay the membership. And IMO the cost is almost free for what information value you can get:)

scotiamr2t

ClioSport Club Member
  Mazda 2, Ph1 172
Without the fitment of a proper cage i wouldn't be gutting the doors, purely from a safety point of view. Cage before you start removing all excess metal IMO

As for the members section, its well worth the small fee to gain access to the guides section along with other areas. There is a wealth of knowledge on the site that can be accessed by paid members

Clio Cup
Depends on how much you want to Risk

They dont hold a great deal of structural value the windows

Track day section is very active , for sale is where i built my track car , coil overs , harness' , brake pads , and other bits all came from here

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
It is well worth paying the subscription. For loads of reasons, but you'll make your £12 back just through savings on parts / access to traders discounts etc.