ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Web design guru's - HELP

mas

MK7 GTD & Mini GP
Any help appreciated on this one, I'm struggling to fix my bug.

Im currently in the process of designing and building a website, on safari/ie/chrome etc on desktop and my blackberry browser it aligns perfectly fine. However when viewing on my iPod touch or iPad, I'm having a strange issue where my header is indenting/shifting and the footer is also a little dodgy. (I'm not a pro, just like designing and what-not on the side!).

Any ideas what it might be?

Apologies in advance for the awful coding and messy'ness. Will have someone who is actually good scripting go over it for me!

Link:

http://www.greenhouseepc.co.uk/ashtons/index_w_slider.html

Thanks!

For your header instead of setting both left and right margin's to auto, what about just doing margin: 0 auto; - that will center the header which may be a fix!

edit: same with the footer!

mas

MK7 GTD & Mini GP
Ahhh worth a shot, will try that!

Any feedback on the site appreciated too, obviously its unfinished but you get the drift.

Ahhh worth a shot, will try that!

Any feedback on the site appreciated too, obviously its unfinished but you get the drift.

Personally I think it looks real nice!

Only thing i may say is while i really love the Green, on the headers such as "Property Exchange" some may find it hard to read, but I don't know how you'd do it better without loosing part of the colour scheme!

Arctic 182 FF
As Addicted said the margin-left and -right isnt required, combine it to one. Also, if that still doesn't work, try adding text-align:center; to the css for the #headerContainer tag too.

Good looking site though, nice clean and professional. Although I think the spacing between the content boxes is too big

mas

MK7 GTD & Mini GP
I know what you mean, it looks perfect on a crisp mac screen... but on on these Dells in work its not very legible.

LY 182
Visually I like it mate. It's not perfect but it's nice enough on the eye. I don't like the logo being on the far right though, just doesn't flow well there IMO. Should be on the left.

mas

MK7 GTD & Mini GP
You cant beat good old cliosport... I posted this topic on a webdesignerforum a few days ago and its had no responses.... within 10 minutes I have suggestions!

mas

MK7 GTD & Mini GP
Visually I like it mate. It's not perfect but it's nice enough on the eye. I don't like the logo being on the far right though, just doesn't flow well there IMO. Should be on the left.

I agree, and don't at the same time.

Yes, I think it would look a little more pleasing on the eye. But our companies for sale boards all sit with the 'A' at the right bottom, all of the branding and leaflets have always been like that. Plus, the arc which sits above it looks like it should naturally sit against a flat edge if that makes sense.

Hopefully a big improvement on the old website we have...

http://www.ashtons-online.co.uk

:)

Toyota MR2 GT Turbo
Hey looks good.
You need to add some textual content on your homepage or you will have trouble getting indexed!
Just 2 lines saying who you are and what you do. If you really don't want it, then make it invisible ;)

LY 182
I agree, and don't at the same time.

Yes, I think it would look a little more pleasing on the eye. But our companies for sale boards all sit with the 'A' at the right bottom, all of the branding and leaflets have always been like that. Plus, the arc which sits above it looks like it should naturally sit against a flat edge if that makes sense.

Hopefully a big improvement on the old website we have...

http://www.ashtons-online.co.uk

:)

Again if I'm being honest, I wouldn't say it'a vast improvement from the current design. I'd say they're fairly level on quality, just yours is using bigger fonts and is a tad easier on the eye. But looks like you still have bits to do on yours?

Hey looks good.
You need to add some textual content on your homepage or you will have trouble getting indexed!
Just 2 lines saying who you are and what you do. If you really don't want it, then make it invisible ;)

Not true at all. Indexing won't be a problem, but it would help with ranking. And I certainly wouldn't be adding content and making it invisible lol...

mas

MK7 GTD & Mini GP
Hey looks good.

Yeah, still need to make some room for content... having said that, my other site doesn't have much in the way of content on its home page, and its Page rank 2... its only been up for a year! :)

mas

MK7 GTD & Mini GP
Again if I'm being honest, I wouldn't say it'a vast improvement from the current design. I'd say they're fairly level on quality, just yours is using bigger fonts and is a tad easier on the eye. But looks like you still have bits to do on yours?...

Yeah, its far from finished. Just some initial feedback and trying to fix this bug... will be adding more content/features over the coming weeks... and re-designing all of the other pages

LY 182
Yeah, its far from finished. Just some initial feedback and trying to fix this bug... will be adding more content/features over the coming weeks... and re-designing all of the other pages

Top man. Happy to give you some advice on SEO and content to help with rankings if you like. I'd suggest finding some of the top ranking companies for estate agents etc in Google and just see what they're doing. There will be a reason Google has them at the top... :)

mas

MK7 GTD & Mini GP
We were using bloody tables in the old site, so its more of a refresh and adding better features with better web standards.

Any ideas or features I could add are always taken on board chaps! Cheers.

Toyota MR2 GT Turbo
Not true at all. Indexing won't be a problem, but it would help with ranking. And I certainly wouldn't be adding content and making it invisible lol...

Who gives a cr*p about indexing if you come up in the wrong search term!

LY 182
Who gives a cr*p about indexing if you come up in the wrong search term!

I'm not just guessing this lol...

If he has the keywords in his title tag and the content on the page is related to estate agents clever old Google will have no problem working out what the site is about.

Toyota MR2 GT Turbo
I'm not just guessing this lol...

If he has the keywords in his title tag and the content on the page is related to estate agents clever old Google will have no problem working out what the site is about.

Neither am I ;)

Google doesn't work like it used to, titles only go so far, meta tags are now (almost) obsolete.

Content is key, and Google can't read images... (unless there is an alt tag)

LY 182
Neither am I ;)

Google doesn't work like it used to, titles only go so far, meta tags are now (almost) obsolete.

Content is key, and Google can't read images... (unless there is an alt tag)

Fully agreed.

You'd be looking to optimise for local SEO on this site though. And the content on there currently with the correct title tags, image alt tags, etc, would suffice I think.

LY 182
I agree that the more relevant content you can get in there, with keywords, is ideal but at the same time it can't detract from the purpose of the site. For something like local SEO, a couple of blocks of nice unique content combined with the standard on page SEO factors should be good enough.

mas

MK7 GTD & Mini GP
I don't even bother putting in meta keywords anymore, only use the descriptions for google to display.

Links are the most important from high ranking, relevent websites. Yes content is important, the usual keywords... but I don't think ramming it where possible with the same keywords really makes a different. As long as its got popular search terms inside it, and in the domain name itself like www.ashtons-online.co.uk/homes-for-sale.html etc... then that does the trick.

Rav4
Lovely, well done :) Looks great, very professional.

What CMS are you using for the property listings?

mas

MK7 GTD & Mini GP
Its all automatic with our software providers, no idea what they use. As we put a property live on our systems, it updates automatically online...

One thing I need to learn more about is CMS, and mysql stuff!

mas

MK7 GTD & Mini GP
Anyone handy with javascript/jQuery on here? I have something on the site which I was to create but its probably pushing my talents a little too far. Will probably take an experienced developer about 15 minutes, will take me days.

If anyones interested, PM me.

mas

MK7 GTD & Mini GP
Basically, on my new design, I want as follows. On the right hand side where you have the search box, I want it so that when people click the valuation box it expands upwards to the bottom of the search title (if that makes sense), and the form options will appear. People can enter their details, click 'submit' and the form will collapse back down to leave the search box clear. Also, if people click the valuation part but don't fill it in, I want them to be able to click the search part or anywhere else on the site and it collapses down to reveal the search options again.... Does that make sense?!

mas

MK7 GTD & Mini GP
Damn it, changed the CSS but the divs still wont align correctly on iPad, or anything iOS, I have literally no idea what would be causing it!

Safari doesn't like floating divs IIRC

Loads of stuff about it online, google it. You might need to detect browsers and adjust your css accordingly

mas

MK7 GTD & Mini GP
Cheers, will be cracking on with this over the winter months.

I think for the iPad, I will just create browser/device specific versions :)

Basically, on my new design, I want as follows. On the right hand side where you have the search box, I want it so that when people click the valuation box it expands upwards to the bottom of the search title (if that makes sense), and the form options will appear. People can enter their details, click 'submit' and the form will collapse back down to leave the search box clear. Also, if people click the valuation part but don't fill it in, I want them to be able to click the search part or anywhere else on the site and it collapses down to reveal the search options again.... Does that make sense?!

Jquery is what you want. Don't really understand your first part though.