ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Water pump change or....

182 Trophy
I have the Trophy booked in for its second belt change this weekend. Should I bother replacing the water pump??? At the moment it all runs fine. After reading posts on here I feel the dephaser is a must to change along with the belts?? Any thoughts??

Clio 182
You dont have to change the dephaser unless its noisy, or has play i think.. People worry too much about dephaser, got told by a experienced Renault master tech. Would change the water pump as its probably cheap

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
I wouldn't bother unless it's giving you problems. The water pump is powered by the aux belt so if it goes it's not a big job anyway. Never have understood why people always change it with the cambelt.

Do the dephaser as that's a job to be done with the cambelt.

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
The engine I put in mine had a waterpump which was fine. But, me being me, I thought I'd swap it when I did the belts anyway. I'll let the photos do the talking, and you can make your mind up :wink:

64fa0cc0a8789fced5718526494ea39c.jpg

16e6c79022493abc93137c21e4c1cd85.jpg

cf276e85eb35a6d1d5bc84cf0b264bec.jpg

b87ed35aa14f0b47984350ceaa9989d2.jpg

BG Clio 182
Yeah, to say it's a 5 yearly thing just put a new one in and new coolant. It's all only a good thing to be honest.

Iain C

ClioSport Club Member
I didn't bother having the pump changed. Apparently it's not a difficult job.
Just went for the cambelt, aux and dephaser. That said if you have the money it wouldn't hurt to change it.

loggyboy

ClioSport Club Member
You dont have to change the dephaser unless its noisy, or has play i think.. People worry too much about dephaser, got told by a experienced Renault master tech. Would change the water pump as its probably cheap
But you never know when its going to get noisy. Ok theres no actual problem when they do go, other than the noise, they dont collapse or implode, but they do sound gash. The reason it makes sense to do (if its not been done in last 80-100k or so (IMO)) is just down to the fact if they do go, its a pain to replace. How annoying would it be if you forked out hundreds in labour (or lots of hours of your time) on a CB change, for it to start rattling a short time after.

RB182cup&golf gti
I'm thinking the same as my second lot of belts are due in June but mileage only 21k, but using car frequently now.

Don

182 & LY Clio 220 ed
I've got mine booked in for Cambelt, Aux Belt, Water Pump and Dephaser just after Easter at Diamond Motors. The car is 10 years old and has done 102K, the problem is that I know its a big job, but I'd rather do it now while the rest of the engine is being done, than have cam and aux belts done and then either go shortly after. For the sake of the extra couple of quid...I would have it done than take the risk. :)

BG 182, BMW 320d
Got the belts, dephaser, water pump and power steering pump all done at the same time, completely different car now :). IMO id just get it done its not that much more in reality as the labour is naff all when the car is in bits for the belts.