ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Water coming from the bottom of the car - Help?

Clio 1.2 - 41k miles
Okay so I have a leak of some sort which wasn't there Monday last week when we spent the day in it (I have no license as of yet so my Dad got insured on it and we went out). Where is the most likely place it will be coming from. It comes out in a steady stream and is coming out from somewhere below the Oil filter on the D7F engine. I am not in the best mood at the moment (work related stress and tiredness) so this hasn't helped at all. Cheers in advance..

Clio 182
was it you that had your intake pipe pop off the other day aswell? First off, it may sound daft, but without knowing how much water there is its hard to tell so were you using the air con when you were driving? Air con causes condensation which on a hot day will somtimes amount to enough to give the illusion of a leak. Failing that I would guess (assuming your coolant is going down) that a coolant hose may have popped off a bit/perished and the only way to know is to trace it back.

Clio 1.2 - 41k miles
My airbox came off (The bit you "screw on" and it's supposed to lock on) and yes it did come loose when we were driving. I don't have aircon :( that's a luxury!! That could be it though a loose pipe.. the problem is it's right at the bottom of the Engine bay where I can't see anything.. Plus I don't have any ramps.. :S

Danny what would cause the Water pump to just give up then? The car had no leaks at all and then I looked yesterday we(me and my Dad) knew there was a very slight oil leak(My Dad's fault :p) So Dad said start it up quickly so I did started first time as always and then we notice a steady stream of liquid (not necessarily water I say that because it was a little oily to the touch although that could be the antifreeze/coolant stuff...)

Clio 1.2 - 41k miles
Yeah.. I don't really know what's been done to my car only had it a month and it's been stuck on a driveway - haven't passed yet.. But the car is fine when driving..

Clio 1.2 - 41k miles
Didn't have a service history? Worrying...
Haha no it did - sorry bad wording - I haven't looked at it :) my Dad has, he said it's had loads of stuff done :p

EDIT: I asked my Dad he said - "I have no evidence of the Cambelt ever being done? So really don’t know."
That's bad for a 1.2 on 111,000 miles...

Last edited:
  SEAT Ibiza SC FR
See when the timing belt was last changed and see if the water pump was done at the same time then.

Clio 1.2 - 41k miles

Yeah, that's exactly what I'm thinking.. What's the worst that could happen at this stage? As I said it has had a lot of MOT's that it failed and has had repairs done. But I am not to sure as I don't have the Service history to hand.. Seeing as I'm at work..

SEAT Ibiza SC FR
Don't drive it. Go home and trawl through the history properly.

If you can't find evidence of it being done then take it as not being done.

I always think like that. Mind you, I do work for the NHS and we work on the principal that if something isn't documented it isn't done, you can f**k patients up that way.

Clio 1.2 - 41k miles
Hmm yeah, my Dad said we can do it ourselves? I'd rather get it done properly (My Dad's the "that's good enough it works" kind of guy) For example Air filter box fall's off as the clips are broken... he got some electrical tape and said there done see you don't need to go to the breakers! It annoys me.. lol.

Clio 1.2 - 41k miles
Hmm Fair enough that's not to bad.. I want my Dad to do it but I don't want him to do it wrong if you get me..

Clio 1.2 - 41k miles
Well.. It's currently SORN so no rush.. As previously mentioned no license yet haha
Are they really that expensive?

Clio 1.2 - 41k miles
It's SORN'ed and your Dad has been driving it?

What kind of pikey shenanigans is this?!

Haha NO,NO,NO,NO!! lol basically we went out on the 25th of July and the Road tax expired on the 31st of July we SORN'ed it on the 31st haahah :D

I am not a Pikey!!! :)

ITB'd MK1
endless posts like this are driving this place into the ground.

belts are cheap on these dont need any special tools, they are cheap as chips to do, even a garage will only charge about £100!

agree with both these statements fully. Also wish people wouldn't give advice when they have little or no idea. Special tools for a 1.2 8v? pmsl, just dont post if you dont know

Clio 1.2 - 41k miles
Oh cool thanks guys :) I was worried I'm sure me and my Dad will manage it fine then. Cheers guys :)

SEAT Ibiza SC FR
I think some of you may have missed the point but never mind.

Suggestion was based on the fact that the airbox has been bodged back on with tape rather then being attached properly. If you do that what are the changes on a successful timing belt change... Not that it matters to me, not my car. :rasp:

Clio 1.2 - 41k miles
Fair point Ollie.. But I think we could do it and these guys confirmed it wasn't requires no special tools and whatever I think my Dad taped it up because it wasn't a serious issue as I said in a previous thread it came off when we were driving (it sounded awesome) but it didn't damage anything because the air was still being filtered. To attach it properly would have required a whole new air box - This one's broken - SO I think he was trying to save me some money lol.. To be fair it hasn't happened since..