ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Watchdog Now Clio Problem Story

Ultra 197 ex 172 Cup
Re: Clio Bonnet Failure on Watchdog.. BBC1 now..

saw it last april. i rekon its the people that don't close their bonnets, the t***s, old women !!!!!!!!!!

Evo 8 Jap Crap
Re: Dodgy Mk2 Clio bonnets on Watchdog

Just watching it now ;)

The bonnet on my old S2 RS Turbo used to pop up but thats common cause of the shitty bonnet catch so i fitted WRC pins

Evo 8 Jap Crap

Its nothing to do with bonnet not being closed properly the catch can stick open. That ='s design fault

ex Clio 172 owner :(

Even if it's people who don't close their bonnets properly, you'd suspect it'd happen on all cars.

But it seems Clios have higher numbers of this which to me suggests a fault.

Why is this on a 2nd time? I'm sure this happened to someone on here they posted pics of their windscreen and bonnet. What happens if it damages the roof?
My bonnets being opening loads of times and once the latch jammed and it wouldn't shut properly thankfully this has never happened though.

182 RB FF

yeah saw this last year, didn't it happen to someone on here recently though?? Im sure i read it the other day they posted pictures and everything, its a pretty serious fault.

mk1 RSi

typical renault, thats f*cking dangerous, glad i got a mk 1 they dont open that way :D! lmfao at the smoothies

LY V6 with Recaros

I didn't realise it was on the ph2 though, i thought this fault was on the mk2 ph1?

2002 Clio Sport 172

That was scary watching that.. so this is old news, and no recall as of yet?

Shhh

no recall, nothing

meanwhile ive had 2 catches stick due to them drying out.

LY V6 with Recaros

Seems typical of Renault, saying it isn't a design defect therefore wont do anything about it, that's all they would say to me to any problems! You think something as dangerous as that they'd do something about it!

Evo 8 Jap Crap

They say theres no problem yet drastically changed the design on the mk3's

hmmmm naughty renault :nono:

Clio 1.2 16v Mk2Ph2

I saw it last april too. That was before the i bought my clio. I however remember them saying it was only on mk2 ph1. Can someone confirm this???

Lem

Clio 182
anyone no if you can do anything to sort this problem out before it could potentially happen?

106 GTi

They where showing 04 plate ones this time.

Carrera 4S. Clio 172. M5
It would appear the problem is a design fault, so probably not much. you could try making sure the bonnet safety catch is well lubricated and is springing into position.
If you are really worried fit a restraint of some sort, short chain or stranded cable.

307 hdi (powered by derv)

didn't this happen to Yoz last year?

106 GTi
This is in another thread and what they said on the telly

When our expert Martin Woodhouse examined the Clio Mark II he found the safety catch to be particularly dangerous, because if the owner pulls the catch too hard they can actually force it out and into the unsafe open position. Our expert believes Renault should recall these cars.

Saab 93 Aero Wagon

I've had to spray lube my latch mechanism up once since i've had the Cup as it became noticebly dry and was prone to jamming open.
No probs since, but i suppose we have to assume all those elderly drivers in their 1.2's (not a dig) won't be as on top of the problem as we are.

The Beast MK4

Happened to me. And I shut my bonnet properly!!!

Bonnet1.jpg

Really bad design, I usually attack mine once a month with WD40 just to make sure it keeps working!

FFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUU

Ahh i'm glad of the awkwardness of the mk1 bonnet.

The Beast MK4

Mk1 bonnet feckin rocks compared to one blocking your view at 60mph, drove home with my feckin head out the window because I couldn't get it back down!

Lem

Clio 182
thats well unlucky mate, think i'm gunna just keep am eye on it and spray some wd40 on it now and again.

CB600FS

Don't use WD40 its too light and won't last 5 minutes. Clean it all up, then cover the thing in copper grease, where the bit you pull to pop the bonnet, that sticks forward. Grease where it touches the bonnet, or on Ph1s grease where the metal sits in the guides especially.

Clio dCi 100
Bonnet Catch

Hi,

Anyone see watchdog last night? The had a bit about the bonnet catch. Surely Renault have to admit something is wrong when 250 bonnets have flown open at speed?

I'm a bit worried now, does it affect all Mark II's or just ones from certain years? Is there anythin I can do to keep the chances of this happening to me down?

Andy

172, Tiguan
Merged together all the threads about this into this one.

Seems to be a potentially serious problem that Renault are ignoring. 250+ people did not just not shut their bonnet properly! lol.