ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Warranty question - brakes

Megane 225 Arctic Blue

Hopefully somebody can give me a definitive answer here:

If things like brake discs and pads are replaced WITHOUT using a Renault dealer to do it, how much does it affect the 3 year warranty on the car?

Thanks
Andrew

Megane 225 Arctic Blue

Thats exactly what I would have said.

My local Renault dealer however said that if I did not use an authorised Renault dealer to have them changed I would void the entire warranty on the car!

I know they are going to want to have me take the car to them but if what they said is not correct they shouldnt use blatant lies to get more work - especially when they know me very well!

They wanted nearly £600 to do the front and rears!

Andrew

Golf GTD

i think, but not 100% sure, that a new EU directive or something has come into place meaning that if you get ur car maintaied at a VAT registered garage, and they use parts of equal or better quality than the standard, then the warranty cant be voided.

im unsure if this is total b****cks mind.

Quote: Originally posted by andrew_172 on 03 September 2005

My local Renault dealer however said that if I did not use an authorised Renault dealer to have them changed I would void the entire warranty on the car!
I know they are going to want to have me take the car to them but if what they said is not correct they shouldnt use blatant lies to get more work - especially when they know me very well!
Thats a load of lies its completly untrue. It can only affect the warenty on your brakes but since as Fred said there wear and tear there not covered anyway. Might be worth ringing Renault UK to inform them of the dealership misselling products.

£600 is a joke for brake change.

£80 for new front disks £40 or so for pads.

£50 for rear disks and about the same for pads.

So for well under £250 you can have a new brake setup including new fluid.

Brakes are very easy to change.

Usualy the rear brakes and pads dont need changing the rear brakes do very little the pads are only 6mm thick from new so even if there very low there probably only 50% worn.

Megane 225 Arctic Blue

Thanks again.
I have posted the same question on another forum and the answers have been the same too. I also thought the same - any garage can do it as long as they use genuine parts, but wanted to confirm.

I will indeed check with renault UK.

When I had a Smart they always said that you could do what you wanted and it would only affect the warranty on the part of the car that you changed/modified - this was whne I wanted to modify rather than just service items.
I had expected the same from Renault
I too could not believe how they came to £600 for the work.

Fronts definitely need changing soon. Rears, may as you say wait a bit longer given the wear rate.

Andrew

Quote: Originally posted by andrew_172 on 03 September 2005

When I had a Smart they always said that you could do what you wanted and it would only affect the warranty on the part of the car that you changed/modified - this was whne I wanted to modify rather than just service items.
I had expected the same from Renault
I too could not believe how they came to £600 for the work.
Its easy to get to £660 as list price for the parts ia about £450 probably then labour for the disks and pads is probably 1.6hrs at 80 an hour so that where the £150 extra comes from.

The rule Smart told you is the law youve been told a bit of a mistrouth from the dealer.

Megane 225 Arctic Blue

Ouch, Renault parts are expensive!
Anyone used http://www.speedways.co.ukwww.speedways.co.uk at all?

They list the discs at £40 each and pads at £25 a set.
This was my intention to buy these and then fit them myself (hopefully)!!

I will definately be questioning Renault tomorrow on their position.

Andrew