ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Want my engine bay shiny and spotless.. What do i use?

-Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Any decent multi purpose cleaner you have laying around the house, cover up the coil packs and all electrical sources. Spray stuff onto areas that you want cleaning, leave for 5/10 minutes, give them a quick brush over to aggitate the dirt. and then power wash off, to finish off dress with some sort of rubber care item.

There are a multitude of products out there for this purpose. AutoGlym Engine and Machine Cleaner if you're a Halfords shopper, Meguirars All Purpose Cleaner, G101 from Autosmart and a number of others are also available.

As above really, common sense prevails. Cover electrical parts and do not put the pressure washer on full blast in these areas as you will drive moisture in to places you really don't want it! Spray on, leave to dwell and aggitate as required. Then rinse off and protect with something like AG Vinyl and Rubber care.

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
Read of a lad on DW that used Daisy APC from Tesco. Seemed to do the job just as well as all the branded car products!

Would it be ok to use AG Bumper Care instead of AG Vinyl and Rubber Care??

Back when I used to clean the hell out of my car I used a product called CD2 engine detailer

It's fantastic - 2 tins
One you spray on and leave - it's like a degreasant. Then you jet wash it off
Then leave engine running till it's dry and then spray on the 2nd can - which is like a lacquer
Then just wipe off any remaining after a few minutes with a soft cloth

Makes all the plastics go seriously dark black and everything else shine - smells lovely too lol

Read of a lad on DW that used Daisy APC from Tesco. Seemed to do the job just as well as all the branded car products!

Would it be ok to use AG Bumper Care instead of AG Vinyl and Rubber Care??

Daisy is very useful if you run out of a name brand product. I've used it many a time.

Either or really!

Back when I used to clean the hell out of my car I used a product called CD2 engine detailer

It's fantastic - 2 tins
One you spray on and leave - it's like a degreasant. Then you jet wash it off
Then leave engine running till it's dry and then spray on the 2nd can - which is like a lacquer
Then just wipe off any remaining after a few minutes with a soft cloth

Makes all the plastics go seriously dark black and everything else shine - smells lovely too lol

Surely that coats the metals, rubbers, plastics, paint work, belts and anything else in the engine bay . . . ?

These all in one products are not worth the label on the bottle. You need to treat each material to the right cleaning and protecting process.

Paint work in the engine bay is the same as paint work on your panels. Metal work, different again. Same with rubber hoses and plastics. etc etc etc.

Ibiza FR
I want to wash the engine bay on my car but don't like the sound of hosing it down to be honest! anything in particular to be careful about? or a quick guide would be useful!

Most people will write on here telling you to cover electricals, and they are right to as we don't want you ruining the car.

However, it is purely to cover our backs. Most will have the sense not to aim a powerful jet of water at their battery. But some people will not!

Therefore, the advice is to spray on one of the listed products above, agitate with a brush and then rinse off. If you don't want to use the hose, you can always use a damp cloth to rinse/wipe off.

Once dry, you can then protect and finish with something like autoglym vinyl and rubber care.

Any more questions, just ask :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bumder With A Buffer
I bought a load of Microfirbres from screwfix that I use for engine bay/wheels etc.

I spray Megs APC (or Daisy..its just as good for 99p!!) and use the damp Microfibres to wipe it off. I seal mine with 303 Aerospace..which incidently I didn't realise you should leave for 2 hours or so to cure! I just wipe it off straight away!

my engine bay is fairly clean......

b7aca6ad.jpg

f16008ad.jpg

9c0318e2.jpg

Not bad considering the state It was in when I got it. Sacked if im replacing every jubilee clip etc! Although there may be some shinyness/carbon going in there soon :)

Evo bays always look so messy to me, Richy. So many hoses etc! The Panzer isn't much better though lol!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bumder With A Buffer
Tell me about it! tried to fit a HID kit on saturday and fix a leaking headlight (keeps filling up with condensation) and its another bumper off job! Fckued if I could get half the clips off though! :(

Will give it another go this weekend

db

db detailing™
Just use an All Purpose Cleaner as said, with brushes and microfibres.
Then dress areas with a plastic dressing like 303 and job done.
You can polish bare metal areas with a metal polish if you want too, and treat painted areas to wax/sealant if you like.

Be prepared for scuffed and scratched hands and fingers if you want it proper clean! :dapprove:

Before:
CIMG3182.jpg

After:
CIMG3222.jpg

Surely that coats the metals, rubbers, plastics, paint work, belts and anything else in the engine bay . . . ?

These all in one products are not worth the label on the bottle. You need to treat each material to the right cleaning and protecting process.

Paint work in the engine bay is the same as paint work on your panels. Metal work, different again. Same with rubber hoses and plastics. etc etc etc.

Depends how anal you are - my engine is covered in a painted plastic cover, my induction air box is plastic, the standard induction pipes are plastic, all the bottles are plastic and fuse boxes etc...

The only belt on show is the alternator belt and funnily enough I don't clean that
It works fine for a clio bay

:S

The Clio bay has more metal/other materials on show than my Audi bay - and I still wouldn't use this spray product on the Audi bay!

SG9 Forester STi
I use Auto Glym engine & machine cleaner, vinyl and rubber care for hoses , cloths and elbow grease :)

Then when I've got it how I am happy, I spray a fair bit of Auto Glym Tyre foam on. Works well for me!

Trax201055.jpg

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Not the best close up but,

038.jpg

sprayed with megs degreaser stuff, agitated with brushes, power washed off then sprayed with AG Vinyl and Rubber care

(btw yes i know i has no fuel rail cover, it was having a service the week after)

LY 220 Trophy+IB PH1
I use Auto Glym engine & machine cleaner, vinyl and rubber care for hoses , cloths and elbow grease :)

Then when I've got it how I am happy, I spray a fair bit of Auto Glym Tyre foam on. Works well for me!

Trax201055.jpg

I spy NOS lol Very Nice :D

Looking for 182
Not the best close up but,

038.jpg

sprayed with megs degreaser stuff, agitated with brushes, power washed off then sprayed with AG Vinyl and Rubber care

(btw yes i know i has no fuel rail cover, it was having a service the week after)

This photo has convinced me I need to spend some time on cleaning my engine bay :)

I'm planning a big detail in a week or so (when there is some ok'ish weather on a weekend) so I'll do this at the same time :)

172 RS Ph1
I don't know the English name, but if you are scared to use a water hose you can also use this with clean water (I use it to water the plants)

9705058.jpg

Only the pink one will do.