ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

volvo 1.7l turbo into valver

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

quite an easy conversion. do a search as this topic has been covered quite a few times.

personally wouldnt do it, not a very nice engine, a GTT lump has more potential, been done more often so problems dont arise.

Torsion Tuning in Witham, Essex are doing this very conversion to a clio at the moment and have done it times before! :)

Call Jon on 07949200705

Because the 1.7 is w**k.

Dont ask silly questions or ill give silly answers.

Think along the lines of cost.

Not a fan of the current turbo conversions either, its nothing more than a poor manifold, the rest is and can be sorted in a much more efficient fashion.

19 16V

Quote: Originally posted by BenR on 02 April 2004

Because the 1.7 is w**k.

Im not asking a silly question. Im just thinking that ohc would be a tad better than a 40 year old pushrod effort..

Costs as in the lump itself?

The the GTT block would have been designed with turbocharging in mind wheras with the 1.7 it was a bit of an afterthought considering it started life as a n/a unit. IMO its pointless choosing the 1.7 over the 1.4 as itd be heavier, probably less reliable, less potential (not really considered a "performance" lump) and as has been said theres nothing that hasnt been done or couldnt be done to the 1.4. We could go on........

1.7s have Injections tho? Which is something some people prefer to the R5.. a full injection on an R5 is about £800 I think!

Mr2 Roadster

More research has been done into the 1.4 lump, the 1.7 is a bit of a mystery still and most tuning companies dont like to do the conversion as its hard to get reliable power gains from them.

When I spoke to the guy at Torsion, he told me to behave and not to do it!

dunno about the 1.7 but the 1.8 rsi has efi (which was based on the 1.7) so maybe.... Cant say that loosing the benefits the 1.4 has would be worth it for a efi equiped untunable 1.7 turbo though!

Mr2 Roadster

I looked at using the 1.7 turbo and my RSi bits and pieces but was told not to bother.

Well i have read all posts, and maybe it seems best to leave the volvo unit alone, but i dont really fancy the ren. 5 lump as everybody i know thats had the 5 turbo has had nothing but trouble with them, where as i have had no mechanical problems at all with the valver for the three and a half years i have owned it! So maybe ive answered my own question? Think ill go for the head, cams, chip route that i initially had planned, then stick a 50 shot of nitros on for good measure. From what i can gather, this seems to be about the limit for the F7P except for forced induction, but that just seems far too expensive and i would have reliability worries too. What do you lot think?

Quote: Originally posted by Soneji on 02 April 2004

Quote: Originally posted by BenR on 02 April 2004

Because the 1.7 is w**k.

Im not asking a silly question. Im just thinking that ohc would be a tad better than a 40 year old pushrod effort..

Costs as in the lump itself?
its not 40 years old, and having pushrods has no bearing on the engines capabilities. Most Yanky V8s are pushrods and still going strong, even the NASCARs still use good ol rods.

And by cost i mean the amount you would spend getting the 1.7 to make 200bhp. Its design isnt a major problem, just the quality of the parts used.......its not intended for high boost/high output.

As for injection, again makes no diff since its so basic and really not user mappable.

Quote: Originally posted by kidunknown76 on 02 April 2004

Well i have read all posts, and maybe it seems best to leave the volvo unit alone, but i dont really fancy the ren. 5 lump as everybody i know thats had the 5 turbo has had nothing but trouble with them, where as i have had no mechanical problems at all with the valver for the three and a half years i have owned it! So maybe ive answered my own question? Think ill go for the head, cams, chip route that i initially had planned, then stick a 50 shot of nitros on for good measure. From what i can gather, this seems to be about the limit for the F7P except for forced induction, but that just seems far too expensive and i would have reliability worries too. What do you lot think?

No reliability problems at all, and its not the limit, dont stop thinking till you reach circa 230bhp on std seat inserts.

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8

lol

i have the 1.7 engine, and it has been a pain in the arse, if you want an engine that you can stick in the car, and have it run standard boost all day, every day and dint want to mod it the volvo lump would be a good idea, however when it comes to tuning its slightly harder.

i have the 1.7 lump with low comp pistons, supposedly some head work and a reground cam, but i also have the carb conversion, which in a way is a little silly as i could of gone for the gtt, the amount of money i have spent i wish i had gone the gtt route, atm its a pain in the arse, with the carb conversion im not limited to the amount of boost i can run, as with the EFI you have a 1 bar boost limit, if you can get a duel layered volvo ecu u can chip it, but as they were not a UK spec ecu its pretty much impossible, there are ways around it, it is possible to go out and get a new ecu summit like an luminition ecu, and get it mapped how you want, but its alot of money, once my engine is running right (shouldnt be to long now) i will get a bigger intercooler, and a bigger turbo, then i should be able to go to atleast 180 bhp, prob up to 200, idealy i would like to run around 160 bhp as a daily car, and be able to run 180 if i wish, just to be able to breese past some 172s and cups :D

i would go gtt route if i had the choise again, easier to tune, etc, and gtts are far from unreliable, all these people come up with ive got m8s who have had them, i guarantee they have ragged the tits off the car or havent looked after it propperly.