ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Vista Questions.

Shed.
Why the f**k does my hdd sound like its constantly loading something when im on this OS i can hear it beating away?

How do i turn the stupid "Allow this program i trust it" notifications off ?

Anything i can do to make it faster such as turning programs off or removing them?

1. Possibly the search indexing.

2. Control Panel -> User Accounts -> Turn off UCE

3. Add more RAM. Turn off random effects etc,

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
there is something you can type in to cmd prompt i think that stop useless programs booting from start up but cant for the life of me remember what...

Daz?

172 cup
Since I installed vista I have had to upgrade my ram, for things that pre-vista needed no more than i already had. Looking at the spec for fallout 3 made me think something, it suggested 1gb ram for xp and 2gb ram for vista, does this mean that vista is ram thirsty?
I do like the look of vista, but I virtually had the look on xp. Am seriously contemplating downgrading again.

Shed.
im just messing about with vista for now to see how good it is.

Ive only got 2gb and am teppted to upgrade to 4 gb soon.

172 cup
im just messing about with vista for now to see how good it is.

Ive only got 2gb and am teppted to upgrade to 4 gb soon.

I was going to go to 4gb but it was said that 32bit vista only uses 3gb really well 3.5 so just stuck 1 more gig in to take it to 3. I have seen quite a difference though, for what I considered a small increase.

Gavin.

ClioSport Club Member
Jesus is 4GB Ram really needed these days? I remember my first computer being a IBM 486 running at 66mhz with 128 meg of ram and a 250mb harddrive running windows 3.1 lol

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT
iv been running it on 4gb for months and its been sweet as a nut.

not had any probs with it at all that I can think of, everything works, works fast, and works well!

Titanium 182
I'm on 800Mhz 2Gb running fine :S

64 bit too. Although my HDD does spin up every now and again when I'm not really doing anything...

2014 Focus Titanium
Michael172 - How long have you had Vista installed? It's probably Superfetch loading s**t into your RAM, after a fresh install it can take a few days to settle down, but its in aid of a good cause and that's making your computer faster!

2GB is fine for vista if the computer is set up well, 4GB is even better!

Cupra
RAM is so cheap that there is no reason not to stick 4GB in there at the minute. I started with 2GB on Vista and everything was fine, but then saw a special offer for another 2GB and as I had two empty slots, decided to use them. Can't say that I have noticed any great change between the two TBH.

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport
hmmm....odd, tbh it shouldn't be doing that with 2gig of RAM... it should be fine, how old are your hdd's? maybe run some diagnostics on them...

Shed.
I also have a problem with vist just freezing and then i have to restart it. all search indexing is off i think its a bit better.

Had vista installed for 3 days now.

One of the main features in Vista is the search - no point turning the indexing off, as it shouldn't really affect normal usage.

Vista is also fine on 1GB RAM, better on 2GB. 1GB is perfectly usable though on the whole, depending on usage though I guess.

Shed.
Swear ive almost had it with this now. Cant install Crysis without it freezing up and needing a restart.

Which Vista is best ? Im using Ultimate.

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport
ultimate is the best.

it's freezing? does it blue screen or just restart? what exactly is happening? sounds like it's over heating to me... what are your temps?

2014 Focus Titanium
How many sticks of RAM do u have? 4x512mb or 2x1gb?

Sometimes having 4 sticks (especially on an overclocked quad) can lead to big problems with freezing/blue screens because the mobo can't power all 4 sticks consistently. I had 4x1GB of crucial ballistix 1066 RAM at standard timings/speed and my computer kept crashing. Tested each stick and each slot individually and found it was just the mobo couldn't handle 4 sticks. I have now taken out 2gb and ordered 2x2gb 1066.

Shed.
Never get more than 68 OC on full load and that was with my cooler on about half the fan speed Sont know what itd be now.. Screen just freezes, usb devices are turned off, so no mouse of keyboard input.

Its not overheating trust me. Im guna buy a velociraptor anyways, my hdd is a WDC 160gb had it a year and a half.

Just had a problem where 2 files were missing from the startup, did a repair on them and its okay now. Ill be suprised if it doesnt do it again.

Shed.
How many sticks of RAM do u have? 4x512mb or 2x1gb?

Sometimes having 4 sticks (especially on an overclocked quad) can lead to big problems with freezing/blue screens because the mobo can't power all 4 sticks consistently. I had 4x1GB of crucial ballistix 1066 RAM at standard timings/speed and my computer kept crashing. Tested each stick and each slot individually and found it was just the mobo couldn't handle 4 sticks. I have now taken out 2gb and ordered 2x2gb 1066.

2 x 1gb

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport
try it with one stick and make sure vista is patched up, what is it 32bit or 64?