ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Virgin Media Mobile - Anyone using?

fixedgear

ClioSport Club Member
I just snapped up a very appealing deal from Virgin media mobile.

Galaxy S6 32GB
4GB data and unlimited calls,texts for £35pm
No upfront charge for phone.
Virgin advertise as using the EE network.
Samsung tablet for an extra £2pm
So all in 37pm, which I thought was a really good deal..... That was until I was traveling up the M6 Friday night with both my EE and Virgin handsets... The Virgin one would only display H+ or 3G whereas my EE was on 4G and noticeably quicker.

I googled Virgin and discovered that yes, they use EE but don't give personal plan customers 4G!!

In comparison EE want £149 for the handset upfront on the same deal except the offer double speed 4G

So my question, is anyone using Virgin and happy with their data service? I have used EE for a year now and have got very comfortable with their data speeds.

I can send this handset back within 2 weeks but for the price of the plan and the availability of Wifi I may as well save some money and keep the Virgin handset.

BR
Tom

Listerine & Poledo
Personally, I get away just fine on 3G, not here in the Cambridgeshire backwaters

And for the example you give, that's 3G-doable too.

It's only if you video-call or stream everywhere that 4G will really matter.

And yes, before people start, yes its 400x faster, or whatever. But thats in lab conditions. IN the actual real, I'd rather a firm 3G service than patchy 4g.

Last edited:

fixedgear

ClioSport Club Member
Personally, I get away just fine on 3G, not here in the Cambridgeshire backwaters

And for the example you give, that's 3G-doable too.

It's only if you video-call or stream everywhere that 4G will really matter.

And yes, before people start, yes its 400x faster, or whatever. But thats in lab conditions. IN the actual real, I'd rather a firm 3G service than patchy 4g.
Point taken.

I have just read Virgin don't allow tethering. It just gets better!

fixedgear

ClioSport Club Member
I think I am going to return it and go back to EE.

After using it today, it's noticeably slower to respond, kinda makes a 4GB package a little unnecessary ...