ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

views on toyo proxes T1-R's ?

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I agree with Dave.

I like them because for the price, I think they are good. Yes a PE2 is better, yes a V12 is better but are they better to a point where they cost more than double?

Not in my opinion, no.

I am also a big lover of the Verdestein Sportrac. My tyre guy gets them for a similar price to what you're quoting for T1R's so they are well worth looking at.

Clio 172 Cup 03 plat
Personally I don't like them on my 172 cup, but my man swears by them on his 172. Dunno maybe it's the different sizes, his 195/55/15 mines 195/45/16. I prefer Goodyear GSD2's bit dearer tho, especially better in the wet, don't like T1-r's in wet, always think I'm gonna slide out of a corner on the way to work in the wet. (so not driving like a mad man, just commuting)

And if I don't know how to drive properly in the wet yet there's something wrong cos I'm in Scotland!

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
I agree with Dave.

I like them because for the price, I think they are good. Yes a PE2 is better, yes a V12 is better but are they better to a point where they cost more than double?

Not in my opinion, no.

195/50/15 on BlackCircles..

T1R = £39
V12 = £48

:eek:

PS: @BlackCircles .. 'SPEND OVER £200 AND SAVE 5%. CODE: HANKOOK5'

Not sure if the discount is pre or post shipping.. :S

Last edited:
  225 Cup & Williams
I'm slowly being tempted to buy v12's for the front of my Trophy, wish I never bought 2 new t1r's for the back the other week.

I have T1R's, no issues in the wet or dry. Far from being "dangerous". I do have to say that my Michelins were better though. Unfortunatley none were in stock at the time and I needed tyres for legality.

Some people need to learn that the accelerator is not an on/off switch.

172 Cup
I found the t1r tyre fine in the dry and i don't push my luck in the wet, for my cup they were fine for the money.

They were predictable, even when down to the wear indicators.

T1r's lasted 5000 miles on the front

PS3 lasted 4500 miles on the front - i found the wear quite alarming, so much so that i had the alignment done twice while they were on. Tyre pressures were checked weekly.

I suspect that the superior grip compared to the t1r made me drive the car harder. These wear rates were on a daily road car, not impressed for the money.

The michelins were very good in the wet, but if they are going to last this long i am going to look elsewhere. Any recommendations in 195/45/16 please?

172 Cup
I bought the PS3 tyres as i assumed the additional outlay would get me at least 10K, rather than the 5K from the t1r.

I can only assume that the PS3 is made from a softer compound than the PE2 that preceeded them.

Some of the wear is down to the superior grip and subsequent enthusiastic driving, but i wouldn't recommend them for the money.

I have found a lot of threads from other marques that suggest that the michelins are compromised for comfort, and wear much more than anticipated.

Can someone tell me what other tyres sizes i can fit to the et42 turini alloys, without any rubbing issues please. Thanks

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
I found them to be OK on the OH's dCi Clio wet and dry.

They were adequate on my Scoob in the dry and below confidence inspiring in the wet .. but I've just replaced all 4 for Hankook V12s and the difference in grip wet and dry is huge.

In the wet these things are immense. Had them on an old Clio 172 for a while too and found the same thing.

Roughly in the same price bracket as the T1-R's.

No contest for me.

We had this exact convo yesterday lol.

iv got them on my 172cup and i personally think theyre fine.. Just have abit higher pressure than normal to allow for the softer side wall and as said you just dont go balls out in the wet and your fine.. id quite happily put another set on the car when this pair are worn out

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
I bought the PS3 tyres as i assumed the additional outlay would get me at least 10K, rather than the 5K from the t1r.

I can only assume that the PS3 is made from a softer compound than the PE2 that preceeded them.

Some of the wear is down to the superior grip and subsequent enthusiastic driving, but i wouldn't recommend them for the money.

I have found a lot of threads from other marques that suggest that the michelins are compromised for comfort, and wear much more than anticipated.

Can someone tell me what other tyres sizes i can fit to the et42 turini alloys, without any rubbing issues please. Thanks

Give Pirelli P zero neros a try. I would highly recommend them.

Renault Clio 1.6 16v
I got the T1 R's in the end,only got two on the front at the moment as i cant afford another 2 yet, paid £130 for them and fitting too, left the garage in the pissing rain and the diiference is huge consideirng my other tyres were bald as a cats arse, hopefully i can see what they're like in the dry tomorrow, cheers for the help guys !

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
I got the T1 R's in the end,only got two on the front at the moment as i cant afford another 2 yet, paid £130 for them and fitting too, left the garage in the pissing rain and the diiference is huge consideirng my other tyres were bald as a cats arse, hopefully i can see what they're like in the dry tomorrow, cheers for the help guys !

How? 195/50/15 were £130 fitted for 2 PE2's for me...

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Far from dangerous, but they don't have great grip at all.

Put it this way. Accelerate from a rolling 10mph in 1st in damp conditions with T1Rs and a 172 will spin it's wheels and then into 2nd they'll chirp again. PE2s you can launch the car in the wet and it will launch. No point not paying the £15 difference between them (depends on wheel size though).

BMW M4; S1000 RR
id say pe2's were made of plastic if they didnt grip so well, i think i done about 20k on a front set lol

lol this man knows.

I did about 15000 miles on the fronts on my old DCI which included 24 laps of the Nurburgring. And I didn't even buy them brand new, I got them from a member on here on a set of Mk1 alloys.

Black 200
I had these all round on my 306 for over a year. They came part worn and I covered over 10,000 miles and they still had 4mm of tread on the front and a little more on the back. The car wasn't driven conservatively either. I've just ordered two for my Clio on the rear as they were both low.

They handled well and as for driving in the wet, a lot of tyres struggle then and I think its mainly down to your expectations and how realistic they are. Powerful front wheel drive cars are going to be hard to control in the wet.

Anyhow, I'm having them fitted on Saturday and I might swap them over for the front two, either way I shall report back here for first impressions on Sunday evening.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Been covered dozens of times. Cheap tyre with a mega old compound. Good on the road in the dry, fairly hard side walls and OK in the wet. Although wear fairly quickly in comparison to other tyres in the same price range

Track, only if you're working to pittance and wouldn't even think about using them in the wet

Fairly hard sidewalls? Sure you were running T1-Rs?

The sets I ran on my Cup were as soft as any tyre I've ever tried, hard on the brakes in a straight line on track and the car would be moving about all over the place.

Had some loose T1-Rs in the shed for a while, and I can say with certainty that there's more structure and strength in a Tesco carrier bag, than there is in the sidewall of a T1-R LOL

Great tyres though, love them.

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
Always used T1R's on my Mk1, never have any problems in the wet. Yes they have very soft sidewalls, but imo the grip is pretty good, even in the wet. Id like to try the R1R's on my 182...

Mustang, S13, AX GT
Agreed. I used to always get T1Rs from my cousin's bf as he did them cheap. However she is now single so I got some V12's as for 205/45/16 they were cheaper than Toyo's. I have them on the GT4 and so far I'm very impressed. I can push quite hard in the dry and trust the tyres and in the wet I've not pushed it however I've not had to adjust my driving from normal they grip very well indeed. I'm not sure how well they wear though I've only had them for about 2-3 weeks

I found them to be OK on the OH's dCi Clio wet and dry.

They were adequate on my Scoob in the dry and below confidence inspiring in the wet .. but I've just replaced all 4 for Hankook V12s and the difference in grip wet and dry is huge.

In the wet these things are immense. Had them on an old Clio 172 for a while too and found the same thing.

Roughly in the same price bracket as the T1-R's.

No contest for me.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
I had t1r's on one of my cups and wasn't keen on them. In the rain or damp there was no confidence at all. In the dry the issue was that the sidewalls are to soft. They did however get me around the nurburgring in 8:49 so not to bad all considering.

I currently run hankook s1 evo's now and find them excellent. They give confidence in all conditions and helped me get a 8:44 at the 'ring last year.

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
Got them on the BMW. Wearing through them at an alarming rate on the rear tho. Not good when they're £169 a tyre :(

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Hateful tyres, the T1-R.

My set of four lasted three weeks on the car. That'll teach me.

PS3's or Conti SC3's.

Evo 5 RS
They do wear quick, don't even have to be that hard on them either. Which is great and all, but not when they're a s**t tyre to begin with lol.

Fairly hard sidewalls? Sure you were running T1-Rs?

The sets I ran on my Cup were as soft as any tyre I've ever tried, hard on the brakes in a straight line on track and the car would be moving about all over the place.

Had some loose T1-Rs in the shed for a while, and I can say with certainty that there's more structure and strength in a Tesco carrier bag, than there is in the sidewall of a T1-R LOL

Great tyres though, love them.

I did say fairly, I meant more for a road tyre. Softer than PE2s but harder than Parada Spec 2s lol. Somewhere in the middle of the field of bottom end...stuff lol Run the right pressures in them they're OK

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
I ran 28F29R. A lot of people over inflate tehm which seems to make the grip level fall off (in both wet and dry)

S4, Tamora, Conti GT
Got them on both my clio 182 and my tamora, full sets never really had a problem with them on the clio seem to stick to the road nicely, wear evenly and last a fair amount of time but I'm only comparing to the Avon ZZr's that my car came with which were sh*te. On the Tvr been fine apart from one occasion when it was chucking it down with rain and I blipped the throttle half way round a bend the back just over took the front, luckily i was doing about 10mph in a tesco car park