ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Views on induction kits

clio 172 cup
Alright guys...

after some advice if possible...

whats peoples views on the KTR induction kit the provide for £184 or what ever the price may be....

im currently running my 172 cup standard bar a ITG panel filter......

be great for your opinions

thanks james

Fiesta ST2 MP215
You will get a few posts with people saying it's epic just for the noise but I've never noticed " Induction Roar " as it's called. what you have on the car is rated to be the best. there is a test in Engine section for this also where they posted the results.
Myself I have a Ph1 Airbox with ITG Filter.

clio 172 cup
Open inductions kits are the devils work.. No good for anyone.

love it.... ive always had open induction kits in the past but thought with my clio i would try and keep standardish by going for a panel filter..... had it on the car for over 2 years but was thinking of a change but i dont know...!!!

phase 2 172
Would deffo stick with your current setup ,when I bought mine ,I read all the reviews on here ,and ended up very disappointed by the performance ,Realy expensive for just a induction kit .

RB 182 FF
would love to see if this was true.... if the ktr was cheaper i would buy it just to find out lol

I've just set-up my own K-tec style kit for the grand total of £35..! All you need is the standard induction pipe that connects to the airbox and buy a 90degree 70mm outer diameter stainless induction pipe(350mm long) and a Ramair filter. I have to say it sounds awesome on full chat and very normal for town driving and it feels like it pulls better high up the revs...

A guy did a test with the same set-up as mine on a rolling road(before with airbox and after with this set-up) and gained 3.5 bhp with this setup overall, you lose torque around 3000 rpm but it picks up better once the revs rise. So anyone saying induction kits lose power I don't think are strictly right, right set-up and you can gain power and it sounds great! :D

Would deffo stick with your current setup ,when I bought mine ,I read all the reviews on here ,and ended up very disappointed by the performance ,Realy expensive for just a induction kit .

It's an induction kit for an NA engine, it's not a miracle worker =D

I have it, but only for the sound, wouldnt recommend it as its expensive for what it is imo, but if you want noise then open cone/v6 box is the way to go!

Fiesta ST2 MP215
V6 box makes no difference. Had one for a month bought and sold on here. Doesn't use CAFs which you actually need.

STRBramley

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy #404
I've never really noticed any performance gain or noise difference. I have a K&N on my new 182 if anyone wants to swap for a standard box?

Clio 182 Trophy #229
I know most people on here have an irrational hatred for induction kits but I fitted a KTR induction kit to my 182 Cup and now to my 182 Trophy and the throttle response is definitely better, the engine feels to rev more freely, I would say the performance is noticeably improved (but this could just be an illusion because of the noise) oh and yes the noise is absolutely priceless.

I was put off at first and almost didn't get one because I asked a similar question on here but I am so glad I did!

I agree they are not cheap though. Over to you!

leeds_182

North Yorkshire & Humber
ClioSport Area Rep
I bought a ktr 2nd hand one for £100 - had it forgive months and sold it for £100.

They sound great! Best Ik I've bought and I've wasted 100s on them in the past.

RB Clio 182
I bought a ktr 2nd hand one for £100 - had it forgive months and sold it for £100.

They sound great! Best Ik I've bought and I've wasted 100s on them in the past.

You have a better inlet now ;)

Do the itbs sound much different to the ktr kit?

Sam

North East
ClioSport Area Rep
Open inductions kits are the devils work.. No good for anyone.

I agree. I had one on my car and it felt awful to drive. Only realised after 6 months when I put the standard one back on.

People do say the ITG panel filter in the standard box is a good upgrade.

182 Cup & DCi 172
ITG Maxogen - sounds nice but not over the top and actually feels like it works unlike the open cones.

V6 airbox sounds great but gains are minimal

Rob

clio 172
Induction kits are in my opinion overated,sound good but performance wise not as good as stock with panel filter,I had a bmc cda which for the money spent was very disappointing,lacked low end torque and seemed to take ages before power kicked in,waste of money,and a pipercross pk cone which was half the price and much better but same again put your foot down and wait for power as stock box with panel in mine is instant power when u plant it,thx

CLIO 182
I've got a KTR kit on looks good in the bay that's probs all it is good for and there is definitely more noise too. Throttle response feels fine probs wouldn't notice an improvement unless I swapped back to standard set up which for me was ITG panel

For now it looks good and when I can afford a proper mod like ITB's it ill do

49aa4c0cbba8ba25c266c60c53d27dd6_zpsb8ecc69f.jpg

I agree. I had one on my car and it felt awful to drive. Only realised after 6 months when I put the standard one back on.

People do say the ITG panel filter in the standard box is a good upgrade.

I agree.

Ran a 'KTR-Style' kit for 6 months and thought it was the dogs danglies as I got that "5K kick" back even after the RSTuner map. Plus the noise, I really loved that!

However once I broke a jubilee clip and had to go back to stock intake with a panel filter, I realised the apparent "5K Kick" was due to the induction kit sucking the life out of anything below 5K RPM. Since then I've stuck with stock setup with performance panel filter and enjoyed the extra mid-range torque this setup provides over an open cone setup.

aucky

ClioSport Club Member
I agree.

Ran a 'KTR-Style' kit for 6 months and thought it was the dogs danglies as I got that "5K kick" back even after the RSTuner map. Plus the noise, I really loved that!

However once I broke a jubilee clip and had to go back to stock intake with a panel filter, I realised the apparent "5K Kick" was due to the induction kit sucking the life out of anything below 5K RPM. Since then I've stuck with stock setup with performance panel filter and enjoyed the extra mid-range torque this setup provides over an open cone setup.

<5k void, lol

CLIO 182
I agree.

Its weird you say that mate with my standard setup I felt the 5k a hell
of a lot more with IDK it's a lot flatter probs due to less torque lol but in my case with idk that kick has gone but it definitely doesn't feel slower. I'm booked in with Paul Tuesday be interesting to see the results.

i thought the 5k was the norm for the 182's anyway?

Its weird you say that mate with my standard setup I felt the 5k a hell
of a lot more with IDK it's a lot flatter probs due to less torque lol but in my case with idk that kick has gone but it definitely doesn't feel slower. I'm booked in with Paul Tuesday be interesting to see the results.

i thought the 5k was the norm for the 182's anyway?

The RSTuner flattens out the 5K kick as it spreads the torque more evenly, once mapped with the Fastchip 98Ron map the F4R pulls quite well from 3,000RPM. From my experience the KTR Style induction kit only feels like it benefits above 5K, but could that be purely because it restricts at lower RPM? In my experience thats the case. I felt I had lost low/mid range power then got the 5K kick back. It was apparent when I fitted my stock airbox with performance panel filter that the car was more eager at lower/mid range RPM.

Studying both the DIY versions and the actual K-Tec version, it seems the K-Tec one doesnt actually bend by a true 90 degrees but most DIY versions do which I attribute to the lower RPM breathing problems/power loss.

CLIO 182
The RSTuner flattens out the 5K kick as it spreads the torque more evenly, once mapped with the Fastchip 98Ron map the F4R pulls quite well from 3,000RPM. From my experience the KTR Style induction kit only feels like it benefits above 5K, but could that be purely because it restricts at lower RPM? In my experience thats the case. I felt I had lost low/mid range power then got the 5K kick back. It was apparent when I fitted my stock airbox with performance panel filter that the car was more eager at lower/mid range RPM.

Studying both the DIY versions and the actual K-Tec version, it seems the K-Tec one doesnt actually bend by a true 90 degrees but most DIY versions do which I attribute to the lower RPM breathing problems/power loss.

I tried uploading a the 98 Ron map on mine using an unlocked rstuner (paid for the unlock to my vehicle) although we didn't think it worked because we wasn't sure if you could reuse the map more than once if that makes sense? It does rev up to 7500 and the limiter is a smidge higher although the shift light seems to have remained at 7200?

Once you've paid for the unlock and you have the map already downloaded can that file be uploaded countless times? We assumed not otherwise you could use one rstuner on several cars only ever having to buy the map once and keep unlocking.

Thats why we thought it never worked. But I've lost the 5k kick and my limit seams high?

what do you reckon I'm novice when it comes to using the fast chip rstuner

I tried uploading a the 98 Ron map on mine using an unlocked rstuner (paid for the unlock to my vehicle) although we didn't think it worked because we wasn't sure if you could reuse the map more than once if that makes sense? It does rev up to 7500 and the limiter is a smidge higher although the shift light seems to have remained at 7200?

Once you've paid for the unlock and you have the map already downloaded can that file be uploaded countless times? We assumed not otherwise you could use one rstuner on several cars only ever having to buy the map once and keep unlocking.

Thats why we thought it never worked. But I've lost the 5k kick and my limit seams high?

what do you reckon I'm novice when it comes to using the fast chip rstuner

If it idles at 1,000RPM once warm then it's mapped. Easiest way to tell. About 800RPM is stock map.

You could use a map countless times but I believe now you can't do that and have to buy a remap license and remap for each vehicle.

clio 172
My 172 was mapped by Austen at chip and tune,nice guy,250 it cost and a great job he did too,the map runs better than me old clio I had mapped at superchips peterborough,stills pulls doing 20mph in 5th, cheers AustenAusten

CLIO 182
Hmm now I'm really confused it's always idled at 1000rpm warm it's 1100 on cold then drops that's probs why I didn't think it worked maybe it already had it?