ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Video from Snetterton last Sunday in Clio 172 cup

430,911,M3,Exige,Wes
Some slightly shoddy driving as was first proper time out on new layout (i really like it!) and so was just trying to lean the lines.

First time out on track in Clio since November as well as this was the first session so not that exciting I am afraid!

Still I was VERY pleased with the car! sure I have alot faster cars and had my ExigeS there as well that day... but honestly I just LOVE driving this little car!!!!! so much fun and so much personality!

Thats a 240bhp+ supercharged Exige cup car by the way! and the other Lotus were hinda powered! The Caterham is an R300! so I was doing ok!

MASSIVE thanks to Chip and Mike woodford for the new engine. Works brilliantly. Thanks to Mark fish for his amazing prep on rest of car as usual

http://youtu.be/NvneFOUM0kM

ph1 172
Was a great day there :)

Really good to meet you Porkie and thanks for the ride!

I was in the Exige after you went home and his front splitter is missing so understeers quite abit but really good to see your clio right behind him in a straight line too!

172 Cup 181bp 165lbf
nice driving there Porkie. Not sure if you remeber me but I was there at the Beford day with Chip, jack (turbo clio) and Mike. You took me out in the awesome west field

430,911,M3,Exige,Wes
Was a great day there :)

Really good to meet you Porkie and thanks for the ride!

I was in the Exige after you went home and his front splitter is missing so understeers quite abit but really good to see your clio right behind him in a straight line too!

Good to meet you too. I have another video of me having a play with him in my Exige. Didnt seem
To be understeering then! ;)

ph1 172
Good to meet you too. I have another video of me having a play with him in my Exige. Didnt seem
To be understeering then! ;)

Maybe it was my big weight weighing it down in the passenger seat causing bad weight distribution;)

Seriously though, your Clio is very well balanced and such fun!

430,911,M3,Exige,Wes
Autobahn that looks just like basildon haha

Ex mrs :) we split up years ago. Still great mates and she loooves cars. Proper driver she is as well! Amazing on track!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Lee, what rpm are you finding yourself shifting at?
Right up near the 7800rpm limiter is where I would expect you to be, but it doesnt sound like it?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Ah cool, just didnt sound like it was that high on my phone, lol

Quite easy to hit the limiter I found, as the thing really does just WANT to rev now :)

430,911,M3,Exige,Wes
Thanks mate. Can honestly say its more fun to drive on track than my Ferrari or Lotus. I absolutely 100% love the little thing. I have a video of me getting held up by a F430 for 2 laps! Can post if anyone wants to see? I tried to talk to the owner see if he wanted the footage of his car on track but he blanked me... Wish I had my 430 there so I could have shown him what they can really do!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Can we safely up the rev limit any more chip?

Not a good idea, the rockers and lifters won't last long going past where we are now, you can upgrade but it's thousands just for another couple hundred rpm that won't make more power without hotter cams and then really you need more CR too, we're into a race engine then and lifed accordingly.

If you are finding it hard to keep it on the boil the answer would be longer trumpets in order to allow it to make more torque lower down so that you don't need as many revs.

Problem really though mate is this.

N/a
powerful
reliable

Pick any two!

53 Clio's & counting
Whats the rev limit at the moment chip? Without looking for the build details, im guessing it still has standard rockers and lifters? Iv seen they don't like substrained 8000rpm+ use lol

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
7800rpm currently mate.
And yes it's standard lifters and rockers but uprated valves and springs.

Tbh with the ludicrous amount of track miles it gets, more a month than most people do a year, even at 7800rpm there are no guarantees.

53 Clio's & counting
True, Porkie doesn't like he backs off much ;)

is it making power up to the limit mate? Does look mighty quick :)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
It tails off a tiny bit for the last couple hundred rpm but we're only talking a few bhp, when driving it you don't feel the tail off and it's still feeling eager to rev at the limiter which is what makes it so easy to keep hitting. Needs a shift light really.

Its quicker than standard but it's an electric windows, catalysed, slam panelled road car so a race car would be far quicker of course. It's got lots of compromises, this build wasn't about chasing power we just built a good strong road useable engine and as a side effect it picked up some extra power.

Porkie can really pedal though which makes it look quick despite the modest power to weight ratio!

53 Clio's & counting
Nice, as you say not worth chasing any higher revs, is it peaky or does it pull well at lower revs too?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Nice, as you say not worth chasing any higher revs, is it peaky or does it pull well at lower revs too?

Its acceptable at low rpm, slightly worse than a standard 172 I guess, very driveable still, longer trumpets would help if lee wanted bonnet pins, never going to be like an rs2 at 3k though ultimately!

53 Clio's & counting
Ah right, so still on fairly short trumptets? Lee, loose that slam panel and get some longer trumpets on! ;)

Trafic 140dci
Do the longer trumpets! I went from 45mm to 90mm and gained around 15ftlbs of torque and 10bhp, I'll post the graphs when I get home, granted mine are jenveys, but the principles are the same F4r's like a long trumpet ;)

45mm trumpets

IMG_1083.jpg

90mm trumpets

6653303945_ba4e00b72c_b.jpg

Last edited:
  182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Not quite sure we would expect gains as big as that Lewis TBH in this case, peak bhp is unlikely to change as its so high up in the rev range where longer trumpets are less useful, but if we just gained 500rpm that it made the same torque as currently for it would be useful.

Thanks mate. Can honestly say its more fun to drive on track than my Ferrari or Lotus. I absolutely 100% love the little thing. I have a video of me getting held up by a F430 for 2 laps! Can post if anyone wants to see? I tried to talk to the owner see if he wanted the footage of his car on track but he blanked me... Wish I had my 430 there so I could have shown him what they can really do!
Yes mate I always feel the same about them which is why I always end up buying another one they really are great fun :) Haha yes that video sounds like a laugh! The best bit is it seems no matter which car your driving you are peddling them hard! I saw a 430 scud at brands the other day and he was getting passed by everyone :(
If you are finding it hard to keep it on the boil the answer would be longer trumpets in order to allow it to make more torque lower down so that you don't need as many revs.
Did you guys keep VVT or go down the vernier pulleys route? I have got them on mine but we still need to play with the micro adjustment timing as its lacking abit of midrange torque IMO

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
We kept the VVT, it only advances the cam at full throttle, at part throttle it actually retards the cam, they drive nicer on the road like this.
Verniers instead make sense if its a pure track car though as obvioulsy all that matters for those sort of cars is balls out power, but Lee wanted this to still be something his sister could borrow, and to drive nicely to the ring and back with sensible fuel economy etc.

Yeah I totally agree with keeping it we only got rid of it because it was one less thing to go wrong for endurance races and it was roughly the same cost as a new dephaser. Was just asking to see if you had done non vvt and how you were finding mid range torque but obviously not applicable :)

430,911,M3,Exige,Wes
Not a good idea, the rockers and lifters won't last long going past where we are now, you can upgrade but it's thousands just for another couple hundred rpm that won't make more power without hotter cams and then really you need more CR too, we're into a race engine then and lifed accordingly.

Problem really though mate is this.

N/a
powerful
reliable

Pick any two!

Great points well made....

I just love it so much I forget that its not meant to be mentally fast. It's meant to be a pure and fun hot hatch that offers me something different and that all my friends and family can safely enjoy...

What I also need then is something thats

Turbo'd
Over powered
unreliable

Oh.... ;)

Thanks again for Clio mate. Why don't you take it to the ring in October?