ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

VERY annoying "buzz" from steering column!

Mazda Mx5 + Clio 172
This is gonna sound like nowt but its really annoying lol! There is an intermittent buzzing like a wasp stuck inside my steering column.... every now and then it will just start to buzz! any idea what the hell it is and how i can stop it???

My passenger door already squeaks and whines but iv given up hope of ever finding a cure for that!! ha ha

Mazda Mx5 + Clio 172
I think so......it sounds to be coming from inside the casing where the light and indicator stalks are

It's A Reno
I think so......it sounds to be coming from inside the casing where the light and indicator stalks are

Very strange.
The reason I mentioned the interior light is that it is very common for the AC sensor fan, which is housed in the interior light housing, to buzz.

Best thing to do is, when the buzzing starts, push up on the light housing. If it stops, you know it's the AC fan. If not, it's time to take the column to pieces.

Jamie86

ClioSport Club Member
  RS175,595,205gti,172
The diamond on my steering wheel vibrates on idle check that as well...

on mine, i've noticed that the little plastic plate behind the rheostat that dims/brightens the int. lights vibrates - need to take it off and put some tape under it at some point

Mazda Mx5 + Clio 172
right....been on quite a long drive tonight and its deffo not the interior light or the renault diamond, it is deffo coming from inside the plastic casing of the steering wheel mount (with the stalks on) it almost sounds at times like a electric fritz or short circuit :-/ put pressure on casing and that doesnt seem to stop it, tried adjusting the wheel postion, no difference! Hmmmmm!

hmh

Renault Clio RS 172 ph1
I have my airbag off the steering wheel ATM. The 2 mounting screws which are left in the wheel when airbag is taken off rattle on idle with buzzing noise like a wasp. Try firming the airbag screws with e-torx from the back of the steering wheel.

Noj

Jaguar S-Type Sport
my stereo remote stalk vibrates and makes a buzzing sound when i accelerate quick

Mazda Mx5 + Clio 172
I have my airbag off the steering wheel ATM. The 2 mounting screws which are left in the wheel when airbag is taken off rattle on idle with buzzing noise like a wasp. Try firming the airbag screws with e-torx from the back of the steering wheel.

Will give that a try mate cheers, cos thats exactly what it sounds like, when it first startred thats what i thought it was and startred looking all round the car for a wasp! ha ha!!

E87 118d M Sport
Very strange.
The reason I mentioned the interior light is that it is very common for the AC sensor fan, which is housed in the interior light housing, to buzz.

Best thing to do is, when the buzzing starts, push up on the light housing. If it stops, you know it's the AC fan. If not, it's time to take the column to pieces.

on a side note, i ordered one of these from renault last week. £27.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Bottom half of the steering wheel cowel Take it off, maybe add a bit of sponge, then refit etc ;)

Clio 1.2 16v Dynamique
Mine did this for aaaaages! later found it was the plastic casing rubbing against the polystyrene inside. i just gave the fucker a smack which sorted the problem a treat!

182 Sport 2.0I
Mine did this after i changed engine mounts. Turned out it was the connectors in the column. I could feel them if i slipped my hand in the top. Try pushing hand in there and squeexing them with finger tips. It stopped mine.

BG 182
do these buzzy noises happen at a certian speed as i keep get one at around 100mph (this is only on a private road)and its really loud and off putting any ideas?

Cheers Gower

BG 182
i found mine in the head lining the plastic that interior light clips to was slightly loose tighten it up sorted give that ago.