ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

V6 Coil Pack Prob

As suspected fault was with coil pack, changed today by renault. Coil pack 3!

Would like to say they did a great job however they removed superchip again by using computer to reset ECU and error codes.

Even they I told them after last time this happened not to use reset tool:mad:

Back in Thursday with customer key to get re-chipped garage picking up the bill.

So Kev you got out of their carpark without another coil blowing........unlike me...........twice I didnt get out of the carpark (60yards) before the management light came on again.............not their fault and all is well now :cool:

Cya Stu

Clio RS 172 Ph2

How do you know when a coils gone - bit worried one may have popped on mine, but no engine mgment light or computer problems?

The filters great Kev no probs cheers..............I had the car in for a service etc today (£320)............was going to put a post in the dealers section but I dont have the invoice yet..........but I will when I get it and have a chat with the mechenic................just to make sure they did evrything they were supposed to eh :cool:

Cya Stu

Yeah very good point STU.. Dont trust em. @137699 you will know when coil pack has gone! Runs really rough like having a spark plug off? Fuel computer may also go off for MPG,G,miles left before fill up.

Is this a Mk1 V6 problem that they cured on the Mk2 V6? Just curious...

I take it you rate the BMC CDA? Is it excessively noisy? Whats it like on the m/way?

could this happen on a mk2 172? mine ideas a tad rough and the mpg computer does not read after 40/30 miles left?

Is it expensive, does it affect performance?

Cheers

Clio RS 172 Ph2

Quote: Originally posted by wrx-172 on 17 May 2005

Yeah very good point STU.. Dont trust em. @137699 you will know when coil pack has gone! Runs really rough like having a spark plug off? Fuel computer may also go off for MPG,G,miles left before fill up.
Reason i ask is that mine started running rough this weekend - lost power, and mpg is down quite a lot, also getting a funny note from the engine above 3500rpm, but the fuel computer still works - Renault think its a problem with a cat, but arent sure - they also told me vees dont have coil problems, and anyone who said they had was lying basically - muppets.

My car had 1 coil replaced then another 2 replaced and Reno agreed to replace the other 3 as a goodwill gesture............that sounds like a problem existed with at least a batch of coils eh.

When a coil goes the car develops a missfire and on mine there was no mistaking it had a missfire.............it sounded like a tracktor and lost a lot of power.................you dont want to run it much like this cause the unburned fuel could damage the cats.................which wont be cheap.

Cya Stu

Coil packs go on all models, as stated by STU maybe a faulty batch? Fuel computer doesnt rwead after 40 miles left this is the norm across all models.

For coil pack 3 to be replaced on mine total cost was 197 which was part and labour.

BMC is the bomb, not noisy until you give it some and sounds like the Vee should do coming off the line!

Clio RS 172 Ph2

They say the coils are fine - but there is a crack in the cat pipe... Hopefully I can get this sorted by an independent, as Renault quoted me silly money for it!

There was a clio V6 on ebay...............they were selling the parts cause it had been hugely damaged.............front end...............maybe someone will be able to track it down.

Cya Stu

Clio RS 172 Ph2

I know the one - had contacted the seller about a few other parts previously, but found them quite rude & unhelpful, and were also asking almost brand new renault prices for their parts....

Like steering wheel - £150 & wouldnt even confirm condition other than to say "used" (got a brand new one for £100), £140 for the top engine cover (£150 from Renault)... etc.

Think Ive sourced a cat now anyway (touch wood!).

Cheers for the thought anyways Stu...

Dave

Am I the only one with a MK1 V6 that the coils also took out the flow computer.

The problem with this is each time it is replaced you start at zero miles.

you would hav ethought that Renault could reset the miles each time.

My computer went but only MPG, how many miles left till fill up etc do you mean the actual miles were erased? Did it just start from 0 and work again?

Clio RS 172 Ph2

The previous owner had a coil go on mine, and he lost the fuel computer at the same time, and it hadnt been sorted when I got it. It had mileage readouts, but nothing else.

However, I did a search and found another post from someone telling you how to reset the fuel computer - I tried it and it worked - didnt need to get a new panel or anything.

From memory, you press and hold the reset button on the dash (or was it the one on the end of the wiper stalk - cant remember?) while you turn on the ignition, then continue to hold it until the dials all start moving by themselves and all segments on the LCD screen light up, then let go, and press the reset button - all works then, and it doesnt reset the master mileage reading either!

Dave