ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Using large oil cooler

-Dan-

ClioSport Club Member
As I hate things going to waste I got given a brand new oil cooler that was going in the bin from a lorry

Having not seen the mocal cooler im unsure if this will be to restrictive for 10w-50 might be I fit a thermostat to allow the oil to thin before passing through.

I'll get hoses made by pertek as there M22x1x5 15L fittings
94ADF12C-E3FF-46FF-850F-4DA1F999234F_zpslkzqipjq.gif

4BD1D80E-E2BA-44D4-9525-DBC2619518BA_zpsvxtqsut8.gif

Any advice would be great

Dan

Carbonraider

ClioSport Club Member
  Raider, 172, the van
I'm not too clued up on oil coolers it's something I haven't really looked into. But looking at the cooler you have fitted I would 100% put a thermostatic plate on as your engine will never reach operating temps so to speak.. Looking at it its not far off the size of a small intercooler so maybe a little over cooling haha.

Looks good though [emoji106]

-Dan-

ClioSport Club Member
It's abit of a beast, 570mm long slightly smaller than the cooler Demon tweets sell for £200!

When you say thermo plate, you think without running 1 that cooler will keep the oil bellow operating temp?

-Dan-

ClioSport Club Member
My oil Is reaching stupid temps on track, stopping me from doing longer than 20 min sessions, I need something to cool It down, could buy a mocal but everyone uses them I hate following a crowd.

might be overkill but if it didn't cost me nothing and I can make It work, might as well

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
just though of something funny.....if it opens it'll empty your sump! :tonguewink:

Well, apart from the fact that the current contents of the cooler will enter the sump, meaning that the level won't change. Much the same way as your coolant does!

I read somewhere that optimal oil temperature is between 80 and 100ºC no matter what car you have.

That is sump temperature, oil can run hotter for brief periods such as when it is down the cylinder bores. Any more than about 120ºC though and it will start to break down.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
I read somewhere that optimal oil temperature is between 80 and 100ºC no matter what car you have.

That is sump temperature, oil can run hotter for brief periods such as when it is down the cylinder bores. Any more than about 120ºC though and it will start to break down.
A good quality oil will stand oil temps of 120 degrees for longer periods than you think tbh.
Also, don't be worried about running your oil temp at 100+ degrees as it actually helps to burn off the condensation that enters the oil from the engine.

That oil cooler is serious overkill though. The oil stat won't know what to do with itself! Lol!