ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Used tyre foam repair on a flat tyre - puncture repair ?

Came back to a low rear tyre and spotted the screw straight away, funnily enough was today looking at a spare steel / alloy to refurbish my wheels one by one.

I had to use the foam repair can, I've never looked into it properly but I remember reading once the can is used the tyre cant be puncture repaired? the screw is not on the tyre wall its about an inch into the tread which im sure normally would be fine for puncture repair.

Can anyone shed any light, I read most just say no to repairing because they dont want to clean the foam out? :S

1.6 Astra Sporthatch
Came back to a low rear tyre and spotted the screw straight away, funnily enough was today looking at a spare steel / alloy to refurbish my wheels one by one.

I had to use the foam repair can, I've never looked into it properly but I remember reading once the can is used the tyre cant be puncture repaired? the screw is not on the tyre wall its about an inch into the tread which im sure normally would be fine for puncture repair.

Can anyone shed any light, I read most just say no to repairing because they dont want to clean the foam out? :S

That's basically it, it's just that the foam dries incredibly sticky and gungey and noone really wants to have to sit there getting the foam out when they can just put on a new tyre for you for more money in less time. Depends on where you go really some tyre places can do it others won't bother, maybe if you were willing to clean it for them when they take it off they could be more willing to repair it?

Cheers will get my grandads spare tyre on the rear for now then.

Hopefully the tyre place will be able to puncture repair the tyre, the foam itself is weird stuff I sprayed some to see what it was like, didnt seem like glue just like shaving foam and disappeared into little white specs when dried so fingers crossed it hasnt wrecked the tyre.

1.6 Astra Sporthatch
Cheers will get my grandads spare tyre on the rear for now then.

Hopefully the tyre place will be able to puncture repair the tyre, the foam itself is weird stuff I sprayed some to see what it was like, didnt seem like glue just like shaving foam and disappeared into little white specs when dried so fingers crossed it hasnt wrecked the tyre.

Tyre place I use sorted out a tyre last time I was there for someone else, they refused to sort it unless the guy cleaned the foam himself and gave him a rag some gloves and some white spirit!

Yeah if that's the case I'll ask them if I can clean it myself once it's seperated or take it home and clean it properly then back for repair.

Lozza-p

ClioSport Club Member
  BG FF 182
I used 1 on mine a few weeks ago. took it to work cleaned it out and repaired the puncture no problems

Clio 3 extreme
If it's tyre weld you were gunna use, it's an absolute pain to clean out. Once it's used it normally ruins the tyre. Most of the time it's generally better and more cost effective just to get the tyre swapped straight away

Took it to the tyre place I use, he showed me inside, it was like an oily white mess, I could see no patch was going to stick to it. Pain in the arse because both rears have loads of tread left. Repaired would have done me for a while.

Ordered 2x rain sport 3's, at least it's new rubber.

Lesson learnt. Will get a proper spare for long journeys.

1.6 Astra Sporthatch
Took it to the tyre place I use, he showed me inside, it was like an oily white mess, I could see no patch was going to stick to it. Pain in the arse because both rears have loads of tread left. Repaired would have done me for a while.

Ordered 2x rain sport 3's, at least it's new rubber.

Lesson learnt. Will get a proper spare for long journeys.

Never really seen inside the tyre with tyreweld, did you get a pic? :eek:

Afraid not, Just looked like the inside had been coated with pva.

Apparently the only water based foam the fitter knew of was the stuff the AA used, he said mine was probably the type with ammonia or similar in, I wouldn't have risked patching it myself seeing the mess.

Amazing really the stuff provided f***s the tyre, I didnt think till after I did it.

Lozza-p

ClioSport Club Member
  BG FF 182
You can repair them trust me. It just looks like a milky mess in the tyre just get it washed out and patch it

I have my thoughts the same that it could be patched if cleaned, I took brake cleaner and white spirit and offered to see if they would let me clean it but the "guvnor" wasn't having it, I've not got a problem with patching tyres but this screw ripped a nice hole in the tyre as well and the exaltos aren't available to me anymore, so I guess its just something I have to live with :dapprove: I dont want to spend the money but I also dont mind trying the rainsport 3's out :eek: