ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Used Clio Trophy 220 reliability

Renault Clio
Hello everyone. Been a couple more weeks with the Clio and getting used to it. I don't think I have the RS monitor, or if I do I don't know how to find it.
Fuel consumption isn't amazing, getting 28mpg to and from work (about 7/8 miles 1/3 motorway, 1/3 dual carriageways, 1/3 side streets with speed bumps). Think the ST was better on fuel if I'm honest.
I did have stop/start on but I've turned it off now - it seems pointless for the amount of time I'm waiting at islands and traffic lights.
Tyre pressure alert keeps coming on and asking me to check/set pressure - one tyre was flat when I originally looked at it so not sure if it's got a slow puncture? Renault sorted it for me the first time as it needed to have a scratch repaired but it's happened again...
Thanks for the comments about it going into auto for thirty seconds and the extra bit of travel at the bottom of accelerator pedal. Has anyone got any other tips? Hope all is well.
Ash

LY 220 Trophy+IB PH1
Hello everyone. Been a couple more weeks with the Clio and getting used to it. I don't think I have the RS monitor, or if I do I don't know how to find it.
Fuel consumption isn't amazing, getting 28mpg to and from work (about 7/8 miles 1/3 motorway, 1/3 dual carriageways, 1/3 side streets with speed bumps). Think the ST was better on fuel if I'm honest.
I did have stop/start on but I've turned it off now - it seems pointless for the amount of time I'm waiting at islands and traffic lights.
Tyre pressure alert keeps coming on and asking me to check/set pressure - one tyre was flat when I originally looked at it so not sure if it's got a slow puncture? Renault sorted it for me the first time as it needed to have a scratch repaired but it's happened again...
Thanks for the comments about it going into auto for thirty seconds and the extra bit of travel at the bottom of accelerator pedal. Has anyone got any other tips? Hope all is well.
Ash

If fitted - the RS monitor is the flag icon across the top of the Nav unit, or if you go into options and change the homepage layout, you can get it on the home screen.
28 mpg is about what I'm getting too, I was expecting more to be honest.
No tips beyond there's a hook for the petrol filling cap on the door like there was for the 172's and it has a multi downshift feature in race if you hold the down paddle while braking.

Have you tried launchcontrol yet ?

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
I measure mine on an app on my phone, my fiesta ST was better on fuel than my twingo 1.2 I had !

LY 220 Trophy+IB PH1
I measure mine on an app on my phone, my fiesta ST was better on fuel than my twingo 1.2 I had !
That's crazy ha I use the MPGCalc app, comes in handy.
C42F6413-BFEB-46A0-A3FB-42C931185ECA_zpsxjgmy2ki.gif

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
DSC_2667-01.jpeg
DSC_2670-01.jpeg
I get 40mpg with cruise control on the motorway at 72-75mph. Town driving low 30s. It's a second car, used for trackdays, car meets, weekends away or a mid week B road blast so I stick £20 worth of V Power a time in it which gives me 100 miles at best, but I'm not too fussed as it's hardly used. Was actually out in it today for a blast as it went into my local Renault for a recall.

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
Hi everybody.
Recently, I had my Fiesta ST Mountune stolen and I have put a deposit down on a Clio Trophy 220. It is used and has about 5K on the clock. Since I have done this though I have been worrying about the previous owner. Three alloys were curbed and there was a scratch on the rear passenger door - basically didn't look cared for.
Apparently it was owned by a guy who works in the Renault service department called 'Mo'. My main worry is the run in period and the clutch - if he's been driving it like a looney and the clutch goes I'm going to have a big bill to foot.
Do you think it will be ok? It's got 3 years and 3 months warranty left but the clutch probably won't be covered and can't afford 16 grand for a car only to pay another 2 for a new clutch.
Renault are going to recondition the wheels and have the scratch sorted with a re-spray.
Any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you.
Bit late now but you can find out how many launch controls the car has done with Clip.

Renault Clio
Ash

Renault Clio
I don't think I have the RS monitor then :(
My old job was 30 miles per day round trip so I'll probably be better off fuel wise but still a little disappointing - I thought it would be more efficient with the auto gearbox. Oh well.
Do you guys use any particular wax? It's black and I want to try and get the swirl marks out of it. Going to Carding Mill Valley today so will see what the MPG is like on a longer stretch and let you know.

LY 220 Trophy+IB PH1
When I got mine I had it booked in to a detailer to have Gtechniq crystal serum applied (it's a ceramic layer, so hard if you get it wrong it has to be sanded off) and a coating of Gtechniq EXO V3 on top for a hydrophobic layer to make it easy to clean.
Cost about £600 including correction (a new car has a surprising amount of swirls) but it's worth it, 6 weeks in and I've not cleaned it once, everytime it rains it clans the car ha
CEEE07AA-4DDB-4ADB-BEB9-79BBB6F45140_zpsnms2aw0k.gif

LY 220 Trophy+IB PH1
You guys must have lead boots on to and from work 31/34 mpg 49 mpg on the run 8/9 on track
That's pretty high, I have a 40 mile motorway commute and I do it all in auto and stick to 70, I get between 28 and 30 over a tank and that's with the occasional blast on a weekend.

Renault Clio
Went out today - don't know what road it was in Shropshire but I think I started to fall in love for the Clio. I would say the 220 is better than the ST 215. I had it in semi auto but in Sport (race with no traction control is a bit much personally) and it was brilliant. Much more confidence than the Fiesta and stuck to the road like glue. Does the 'sport' light flash yellow when you're at the red line? That's when I was changing gear. Reckon I was getting about 3 MPG though hahaha.
600 quid for paint protection is a bit steep for me - reckon I'll have to get some T - Cut and Greased Lightning.

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
I get an ave. 25mpg from my S4 Avant - 10 mile B road to and from work. Spread is 30 to 20 - traffic / overtake dependant.

23mpg from a 1.6 Clio which must weigh about half is poor. But Renault have form there - 197 and onwards has similar fuel performance.

LY 220 Trophy+IB PH1
The sport logo will go from green to red when you need to change yeah, or alternatively it'll beep in race to let you know to change.

Also 23mpg would be a little low, I think realistically anything between 28 and 32 is reasonable with the occasional hoon. On longer trips with cruise control on it would see close to 40 id say - i managed 36 with some spirited driving and a car full of people and luggage.

B9 Audi A4 Sport
The MK7 Fiesta ST's do seem to be better on fuel. That could be to do with the Clio's being a dual-clutch gearbox. Most manufacturers do quote that the manual versions of most cars use a little bit less fuel in comparison, but i suppose that all depends on what type of driving you do.

In terms of reliability, i've not heard any horror stories about them really. A few electrical gremlins here and there but that's not surprising, given how much tech they have in them as standard. They're probably not really old enough yet to spot any serious hiccups. I'd love one.

LY 220 Trophy+IB PH1
I can honestly say the only thing that has annoyed me so far is the lack of tyre sidewall protection, the smallest bit of contact ruins the alloys. These should have 215/225 wide tyres IMO.
The nav unit is poor, it's buggy and slow to respond, if you crank the volume up quickly the volume lags behind severely. I would have also liked more options for audio tweaks, such as MID's and independent sub bass levels.

You can tell it's been heavily influenced by track, for the few shortfalls, the car pedals well and is extremely capable (And that's coming from a PH1)

Civic type r fk8
215 tyres for me next, wonder how much closer to at megane on track it would be with more grip

LY 220 Trophy+IB PH1
225's fit the Mk3's too and a lot of folk run them. I stuck with 215's on mine though. AD08's have a really square shoulder anyway and I didn't want rubbing issues!

Promising then ! I've bought a spare alloy to give it a go, the choice of tyre on the standard size is terrible.

Clio 220 Trophy 1051
Must have been bored to tears too
well it was a reasonably long journey and I had to arrive at a certain time so I allowed plenty of time , so I didn't have to rush.
Good company in the car so no , I wasn't bored, but yes of course the driving itself wasn't exciting.
Just occasionally I can drive with some self restraint......just occasionally :innocent: