ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Urgent help (please) car dead/smoke/loud sound

Been out tonight driving about when my car started to make a weird high pitch sound, I then noticed a bit of smoke out of the front and turned the engine off. Checked the oil, was in the lower notch so just topped it up (had some in the boot) Tried turning the engine on and it hesitated, turned on and has a really high pitch whining sound to it so I've turned it off and left it. There is also an odd smell from the front which must be linked to it.

I had the the belts done last year at Diamond motors and all has been well since.

Can an anyone offer any advice. I'm stuck miles away (going to try ringing the AA obviously)

​thanks

53 Clio's & counting
Could be anything mate, it could be a tensioner failing, hence the loud noise but you really need to have it diagnosed

Rang the AA and they're coming out later. Just waiting for someone to come pick the passengers up.

Anything i I can check for while I'm here waiting about?

bot sure where the AA will take me, quite a distance away from home.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Have a look and see if the belt is running true or not on all the pulleys and if there is rubber sprayed all over the place from it rubbing.

Its got to be either a failed tensioner, seized power steering pump or a knackered alternator I would think.

Given that the tensioner is fairly new and fitted by Mick it seems unlikely there would be an issue there, so Im going to guest at power steering pump just cause they normally fail more dramatically than the alternator did.
Only think making me think Im wrong though, is you would normally notice your steering getting massively heavy before it got as bad as yours sounds and obviously you havent mentioned that.

Ill have a look and take the cover up and see what can be seen, I imagine that if with any of these three I shouldn't drive the car at all?

Ill report back on anything. The steering seemed fine and the whole car did upuntil the quiet whining before I turned it off. Turning it back on gives a much louder one!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I would be very surprised if you can drive the car again before you get a replacement part of some description and fit a new aux belt given the description of the issue.

So the AA came out, he didn't want to keep starting it or doing anything with it incase it causes more damage. At first he mentioned an oil problem but then after hearing it again thought more of something seized.

I did accidentally put it into gear while I was being towed back home and it started and seemed to move before I quickly realised and turned it off. Not quite sure what to do or where to go now. Back in Barnsley and the nearest proper place is miles away such as Mick.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Why didn't you call today? I will certainly take a look at it for you of you can get it here.

Mick

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Adam, I've just logged on to the accounts and your job still has warranty with us until 9/7/13 so if its our doing its our bill so please, let us have a look. Personally from what you've said I think its going to be an alternator/PAS/water pump issue though as seized tensioner doesn't tend to make a squealing noise, just a big bang as the belt gets dragged into the bottom sprocket.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
AA man is right though Adam - Stop trying to run it until it has been seen as you are risking some nasty damage every time you try.

The aux belt needs to come off so the ancils and bearings can be checked for seized items and then if they're okay i'd personally pull the plugs out and try turning the engine by hand to see how the crank rotation feels as it may also be bottom end related (Although they tend to "knock" rather than squeal).

You can call me tomorrow if you like?

Mick

AA man is right though Adam - Stop trying to run it until it has been seen as you are risking some nasty damage every time you try.

The aux belt needs to come off so the ancils and bearings can be checked for seized items and then if they're okay i'd personally pull the plugs out and try turning the engine by hand to see how the crank rotation feels as it may also be bottom end related (Although they tend to "knock" rather than squeal).

You can call me tomorrow if you like?

Mick

Thanks for the reply Mick its really appreciated. I was going to call yesterday but when that thought popped into my head it was 2.30 and I saw on your site you were closed so thought i would leave it until Monday morning.

I've taken out RAC cover where they will take me where I like so I can get it down to you any day from Tuesday. I also have the option for a curtesy car for three days from when I drop it off so it can be left as long as needed with you and I can get home / get a lift back down when ready if time is needed. Would you still like me to give you a call? Is it the number that's on your site?

Thanks again.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Yeah the number on the site is correct but if you like just give me a nudge on Tuesday when its been collected.

As soon as I get it off we'll be in touch.

Mick

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Okay so I've got the car in for deconstruction and the tensioner has indeed failed and is broken on the lower mount. Are you missing something Adam?

uploadfromtaptalk1372779043928.jpg

:eek:

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Yep that it is. Looks to have gone rogue thru the belt run and lodged itself firmly behind the waterpump sprocket.

I've found some hard plastic stuff to but can't get hold of Adam at the minute to see if someone has been inside the old girl since me.

For the record, the socket is not SnapOn so 100% not mine lol

Oh dear :(,

Not been under the bonnet properly since the engine mount change and we used a socket set we still have all the bits for, only makes me wonder if it's been there resting a very long time from when the cowboys did my gearbox. The same people (who I originally got the car off Jan 2012) left the dog bone mount unfastened, under tray off, parts of the metal frame within the bonnet like the bar that's at the side of the battery is missing. No doubt theirs.

Hopefully not not too much damage had been caused. Micks told me what's going on so far and is updating me with what's happening next. Top bloke.

its on the wrong side for the gearbox but i guess it could have made its way there somehow. maybe they undid the engine mount. not sure not done a clutch on one of these.

have to laugh at that! glad you found the problem before more serious damage happened

So to update this. I got my car back end of last week. Aux/Cambelt replaced as timing had moved and the socket nicely took out of my engine. The car runs fine now and i'm just happy to get it back so huge thanks to Mick for getting it all sorted for me. Only thing that was upsetting is that there is a scrape on my rear bumper where someone has caught it reversing out of a spot i imagine. Not sure where it was done, could have been the person that towed it down to Mick, who knows. Other than that, spot on :)