ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Urgent help needed!

Hi all,

A few weeks ago I went out in the morning to start my car from cold and all I got was a fast clicking noise, as though the starter motor had gone. After a few turn it’s eventually started up. The car was fine for a week or so, but it did it again, so I bought a starter motor from someone on here. They told me that it was in good working order.

Anyway it never did it again from cold. But once the car has reached its optimum temperature, if you turn it off and try to start the engine again, you get the fast clicking noise? Battery is fine and all ignition lights come on.

I fitted the new starter today, the car started up fine, but once I got home again and the engine was warm, the car is doing exactly the same thing again.

Does anyone know what this could be? Could it be that the starter I have just fitted is also faulty? Or could it not be the starter at all, as its doing exactly the same thing still?

Please help!!!!!!

Can anyone help? I have been back down the garage today and they say its odd how it’s doing exactly the same thing as the old starter... and only when the engine is hot.

They seem to think the wiring going to the starter is faulty, or needs cleaning up or something...

Im taking the old starter motor to an auto electrician tomorrow. I will ask him to find out if there is an actually a problem with it, then obviously if its fine, then it must be the wiring or something.

Any help welcome!

Da

Less
Did you change the starter solenoid or swap it from your old one to the new one?

Nope, just a straight swap. But it’s doing exactly the same thing. That’s why we think it may be the wiring. Getting the old starter checked tomorrow, which will tell us if it's actually the starter motor or not.

I bought it from here and emailed the guy again yesterday to make 100% sure that it's was working. He assures me the starter is fine.

Hmmm

Astra 1.9Cdti SRi
Fast clicking noise sounds exactly how mine has been doing.

I tried to fire the car up one morning and got this fast clicking noise, but i carried on and eventually the starter motor connected with the fly-wheel and fired up.

Its been happening a few times, but has stopped after i purchased a 2nd hand one from someone on here. i have also slightly losen the bolt up abit near the battery which holds the starter in place as i though this is what caused it.

i adivse you should try this:

- Keep trying to fire up the car even if it does that fast clicking noise.
- slightly lose the starter motor abit from the the battery side,

hopefully it should stop the noise all together,

Astra 1.9Cdti SRi
I don't know, but i have loosen mine up and it has solved the problem, no more erratic fast clicking, i even have another starter motor to replace it with but if its working again then there's no point changing it.

Rite I want to get a list together of what other problems could be causing this if the starter motor is fine…

1) I will try loosing the top bolt that holds it in place.
2) Need to check that the wires that connect to it are clean and are in good order.

Stupid question, but where is the earth located? I will check to make sure that’s got a good solid contact.

Cheers for all the help.

Anyone else?

Clio 172 Ph1.
The earth is just through the transmission-block.
The clios have a common problem with the little wire going to the starter. (dont know whats its called in english, but in danish its kl. 50). I would give that a clean with some sandpaper (or what its called :p), that should help.

To all who helped or are looking for a solution to the following problem.

There is a white wire on the starter that clips onto a prong. Clean the prong with sand paper, squirt cleaning fluid on both the prong and the part that clips onto it. Push these back together as hard as you can, then squeeze it together with pliers to make sure its got a good contact.

Cheers to anyone who helped.

Whey!!! And it's doing it again! Smashing!

Im thinking of just cutting the end of the white wire off. And just soldering it to the prong. Then covering it in electrical tape. That should sort it out!

Can anyone think of a reason that this could be bad?

Cheers