ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Uprated Dogbone engine mount.

Cup'd Monaco 172
I have just ordered new engine mounts to change including the much talked about uprated dogbone mount.

I understand the benefits, and also have read much about the problems.
I was going to take my chance, but had this thought. I wondered about just fitting larger poly bush and leaving the smaller one as rubber.

Thoughts?

Also can you buy from renault the bushes seperately?

I am not worried about the vibration as I have also ordered poly wishbone bushes and solid top mounts so expecting increased harshness. But damaging the gearbox is a concern if what I have read is purely down to this mount.

RS RIP
just doing the large one and leaving the smaller one OEM would/could take SOME of the worst stress off the bolts/box-threads , i would try it like this too if i were to go for the uprated dogbone mount.
Interesting, keep us posted !

I would also say you should try the OEM dogbone first, as your changing all the mounts all round, and see how you find the ride then. You may decide not to go for the stiffer bush as new mounts all round will/may be enough of an improvement. When still in doubt then easy peasy to go ahead + change it anyway !

I decided on mine to change all round more regularly, every 25/30K or so. Made the car feel like new ; cornering and throttleresponse etc. much improved

Still knocks like crazy though when wet/wheelspin

Cup'd Monaco 172
I think the knock is the top mounts. I am hoping that will be fixed with the solid topmounts.

BTW compbrake are doing top mounts for £100 a pair this month only. Thats a £60+ saving.

106 GTI
I think if you only change the larger rubber then the smaller one will wear out alot quicker

Ultra 197 ex 172 Cup
i fitted thsi s**t, i didn't get no problems, dont' believe anyone elses bullshit, just fit it and learn form your own experience

RS RIP
I agree and I was going to fit it and make up my own mind. This was just an idea.

^^ good idea, do it. (just the one big uprated one, leaving the smaller oem) You''d be the first one to do it and many might follow if your results are nice !? I will anyway.

got one on mine and it's fine; i renewed all of the others at the same time. no noticeable vibration once it's settled in.

new mounts should feel much better if you're currently on the originals, although, even with the poly dog bone bushes, you can still feel a reasonable amount of movement in the powertrain IMO.

the most disconcerting problem i've read described on here is the problem that people have had with the bolt elongating the hole in the gearbox, although the bolt has a good length of engaged threads and i don't understand how a problem like that could have arisen if the bolt was kept tight - ? (be interested myself if anyone knows)

Dodgy one
I'm surprised no ones chocked the topmount up yet with packings we used to and still do it on the GTi6s, The mounts have too much play in them as standard and cause the chassis to crack when combined with a bit of corrosion

i fitted thsi s**t, i didn't get no problems, dont' believe anyone elses bulls**t, just fit it and learn form your own experience

better ways to put it, but as far as im aware the "elongating" or damaging of other mounts has been experienced by ONE person on here.

Uprating the dog bone may highlight other weak points but will not cause damage its self if fitted correctly.

Choked mount, see the piece of hard rubber stops movement as if you dont have that there is a gap either side.

12072008152.jpg

when i fitted my new top mount, the new buffers that came with it filled out the sides of the mount nicely; there's no real movement to be felt when attempting to rock the engine by hand, but there does seem to be whilst driving the car - i can still feel the powertrain 'shunting' whilst pressing on or during less than perfect gear shifts. i guess it's the relatively soft nature of the rubber in the mounts; KTEC have recently introduced a pair of uprated mounts that might be worth a look further on down the line.

RS RIP
when i fitted my new top mount, the new buffers that came with it filled out the sides of the mount nicely; there's no real movement to be felt when attempting to rock the engine by hand, but there does seem to be whilst driving the car - i can still feel the powertrain 'shunting' whilst pressing on or during less than perfect gear shifts. i guess it's the relatively soft nature of the rubber in the mounts; KTEC have recently introduced a pair of uprated mounts that might be worth a look further on down the line.

Henry this surprises me; When i got my new mounts (did them all round) the top left one you are talking about with mine did'nt fill out the sides , had some space.
Also my engine can be moved by hand easily, not much though..

Are there different mounts going around at the Renault dealer ??

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
better ways to put it, but as far as im aware the "elongating" or damaging of other mounts has been experienced by ONE person on here.

Uprating the dog bone may highlight other weak points but will not cause damage its self if fitted correctly.

nope more than one, i ripped one clean out the gearbox as well as ripping the exhaust manifold off and bursting the flexi on the cat.......

i just change the lower one once a year or so now with a genuine one for the sake of £30

Cup'd Monaco 172
The car is being worked on today. I haven't decided totally the best thing to do.

I guess its easy to get to so may just change the larger bush for poly for now. I don't have a new rubber bush to use though.

RichCup

ClioSport Club Member
nope more than one, i ripped one clean out the gearbox as well as ripping the exhaust manifold off and bursting the flexi on the cat.......

i just change the lower one once a year or so now with a genuine one for the sake of £30

Was that on a non-sport box though?

Henry this surprises me; When i got my new mounts (did them all round) the top left one you are talking about with mine did'nt fill out the sides , had some space.
Also my engine can be moved by hand easily, not much though..

Are there different mounts going around at the Renault dealer ??

Frank, the mount i used came from EuroCarParts but it's no different to the Renault mount in design. when new, the buffers should be a tight fit within the mount but they'll wear down in time, which is where the movement that you can feel by hand comes from. guess you could try closing the mount in a vice as sideways danny suggests?

RS RIP
^^ i'm just surprised about yours fiting "snug" in there. Mine was defo not.
I hope the boys at Renault gave me the right mounts !
When standing over the enginebay i can easily rock back and forth the engine about 4-5cm (2 each way)

Are there differences in any of the 172 +182 RS topmounts they sell at Renault ??
Maybe a different one for a Cup or something ? Can't imagine this btw...

i think they're all the same; 2"s of movement's definitely not as it should be - is that all in buffer clearance?

Ph1
Surely this engine mount bizz could be solved over night by building a engine damper like the Honda's use rather than uprated mounts which read more trouble than their worth?

Cup'd Monaco 172
I have gone for the whole dog bone in poly in the end.

All the engine mounts have been changed too, so I can check the gaps also.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
Was that on a non-sport box though?

non sport box which afaik externally is identical to an RS box BUT this was on a non sport with only 3 engine mounts, not 4 like the RS has, so granted this much damage may not be caused BUT i wouldnt be taking the chance again.

standard lower mount isnt that bad anyway, most of the excessive wear is caused imo by people wheelspinning in the wet causing loads of engine movement and people not bliping throttle on downchange also causing excess engine movement. imo of course.

RS RIP
i think they're all the same; 2"s of movement's definitely not as it should be - is that all in buffer clearance?

Nope do'nt think so.. 2cm each way, not inches.

The car drives fine though, no disturbing feel or enginemovement. I just had a look at the new K-tec ones , think i will give those a try next time round

RichCup

ClioSport Club Member
non sport box which afaik externally is identical to an RS box BUT this was on a non sport with only 3 engine mounts, not 4 like the RS has, so granted this much damage may not be caused BUT i wouldnt be taking the chance again.

standard lower mount isnt that bad anyway, most of the excessive wear is caused imo by people wheelspinning in the wet causing loads of engine movement and people not bliping throttle on downchange also causing excess engine movement. imo of course.

Thought so, only problems I have heard of from cars fitted with the mount were non sports. Obviously something to do with the lack of a forth mount.

I think as long as you have some mechanical sympathy i.e. no quick changes and ramming it into gear, blipping on downchanges etc I don't see how it can cause any problems.

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car
Butler, if you have the original sleeves, could you measure the width of each and the internal diameter of the holes?