ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Upgrading clio MK2 with trophy suspension

Hello everybody, I have a clio RS MK2 (2003 and 90000km), i'm member of www.RSteam.org.

You know in France CLio RS trophy were not sold. Only Switzerland and England had right there.

With some other friends, we are decided with upgrading our Car with this Trophy shock absorber. There is lot of thing to change around to do works. So i looking for someone with already do this modification for councils . Have you ??

Thx.

Nik

ClioSport Admin
  Clio Trophy #355
Welcome to Cliosport, RSTeam is an excellent site.

I don't know how much you've looked into it so far, but the biggest problem you will have is actually getting hold of some of the Trophy dampers. As far as i'm aware, they aren't currently stocked by Renault as a spare part. If you can get hold of some, they will also be very expensive.

A few other people on here and on the cliotrophy forums have asked about doing this conversion and the general opinion has been it would be easier and cheaper to buy some quality coilovers, however I can vouch for how good the Trophy's Sachs dampers are, so if you can get some, i'd say go for it.

Let me know if you need any more details,

Nik

You'll have to try and get hold of the shocks they only made enough for the cars they made there no spares.
Best up[grade is to come good quality coilover/new dampers from Blistein/Leda etc.

Thank you first, for spending your time to anwser me.

In France, an automobile contructor MUST provide spare parts during 10 years after the commericalisation of a the last vehicle of a serial.

I do not know if this obligation can be applie to the trophy which was not sold in France.

The solution is perhaps to order shocks absorber directly from Sach if renault is out of stock.

In fact We would like inventory all parts needed to upgrade.
I know there is more and more modification from
MK1
MK2
Rag
MK3
MK3 with sport frame

Have you a version af dialogys witch integrate clio trophy ? and his prices ?

capof said:
I do not know if this obligation can be applie to the trophy which was not sold in France.

The solution is perhaps to order shocks absorber directly from Sach if renault is out of stock.
Sachs didn't have any in stock a while back infact they needed some old dampers back to build some new ones.

I'd guess since the cars such a rare model that spare shocks will be a pain to get hold of Renault did look at making a Trpohy spec pack constisting of all the sachs dampers springs etc but the idea got dropped.

edde said:
I'd guess since the cars such a rare model that spare shocks will be a pain to get hold of Renault did look at making a Trpohy spec pack constisting of all the sachs dampers springs etc but the idea got dropped.

You have hear about a pack to migrate to trophy frame ??? (perhaps i dont undestand as well what what you wrote...)

I never herar about it, but, only a pack to update MK2, Rag and MK3 to sport frame since a year. But we waiting for it ... will it came a day?

In addition, can someone give me insciptions under the oval plate of any clio trophy (in by private message). To find trophy in dialogys, i need tecnical spec number, because, like MK3, it's CB22...

thanks a lot.

RenaultSport clio 182
Hi capof,

I have the same idea for my RS Mk3 with the optional “Mk3 Sport Chassis Pack” (named CUP Chassis Pack in the UK, I think).

The result of my investigation started some weeks ago is as follows:
To my knowledge the complete Trophy Chassis based (more or less) on the optional “Mk3 Sport Chassis Pack” so you normally need the components listed below

- the complete (mostly changed) “front axle geometry” of the “Mk3 Sport Chassis Pack” (sorry, have no part numbers for the changed components)
- 1x 82 00 514 733 Front Damper TROPHY lh (German Dialogys
system dated Feb. 2006 says : No price information available at
present)

- 1x 82 00 514 734 Front Damper TROPHY rh (price – see remark
above)
- 2x 82 00 514 730 Front Spring TROPHY (colour yellow) (price –
see remark above)

- 2x 82 00 519 954 Rear Damper TROPHY (price – see remark
above)

- 2x Rear Spring (colour black) of the “Mk3 Sport Chassis Pack”
(sorry, have no part number)

But – as posted by the mates before – the real availability might be the main problem …

Nonetheless I hope this helps as a starter.

Frank

PS. @ Nik: I would be grateful if you could post the data of your “oval plate”.
I could recheck my information easier and in more detail then.
Many thanks in advance.

Nik

ClioSport Admin
  Clio Trophy #355
Oval plate (with fabrication no. removed):

trophyoval-censored.jpg

I can also confirm the above part numbers for the Trophy shocks:

trophyshocks1.jpg

trophyshocks2.jpg

trophyshocks3.jpg

I just phone Renault sport Dieppe.

Edde Say right uppon, a pack to upgrade mk3 to trophy come soon : ref 60 00 07 890 : 1200€ whitout Taxe (HT)
I ask for price of Front Damper TROPHY 82 00 514 733 -> 623€HT.

[g]So, now the question is : " Are mk2 can been upgraded to mk3 with sport chassis " I'm sure yes, but how much ....

Nik

ClioSport Admin
  Clio Trophy #355
capof said:
I just phone Renault sport Dieppe.

Edde Say right uppon, a pack to upgrade mk3 to trophy come soon : ref 60 00 07 890 : 1200€ whitout Taxe (HT)
I ask for price of Front Damper TROPHY 82 00 514 733 -> 623€HT.

[g]So, now the question is : " Are mk2 can been upgraded to mk3 with sport chassis " I'm sure yes, but how much ....

Interesting information! I doubted that a kit would ever exist but if they have a part no. and price then it sounds promising.

Price conversions:

Trophy upgrade kit at €1200 = approx £833

One front damper at €623 = £432 Ouch! :S

Nik

ClioSport Admin
  Clio Trophy #355
Well the cost of one damper is high, but for a Trophy owner who may be needing to replace shocks & springs in a few years time, buying the upgrade kit and throwing away the unrequired bits seems a good plan! If £833 is a true price for the complete set of shocks and springs, then thats not too bad.

Sach (like leda) obsober never need been changed - in theory, you will only control (if need ajust)gaz pressure 1time/year...

That wath they were so expensive :)

182 cup pack
Very interesting guys-nice work....

Ok the trophy suspension is better from a sport chassis(Cup) one,but the question is how much better is it ?

1200€+vat = ~1500 € Imo very expensive...

I can ensure, the price is justified and i think it's competitive (it's really the top of the top !) ! If you drive your car on closed road or in mountain, you w'ill enjoy.

In an other way, if you take your car to bring bread, i understand it's not for you...

Mk1-2-3 shock absorbers are genrally out of use with only 25000km (15000miles). it's a little boring to have changed them so often.

182 cup pack
I've got a 182 with sport chassis pack(in Greece Renault called it sport chassis-but in Uk its called Cup)

I think that the suspension it already has from the factory is absolutely fantastic for fast road use/closed b roads/mountains and looks bit soft(but u can achieve good lap times) for track day use..

I've bought my cup in January 2006(it was one of the last that were sold in my country) and after 5000km with it(among them 2 track days-->
many mountain and b roads)--> I'm very satisfied the way it corners....

As I said before I'm sure that the trophy suspension is better,but I would like to know how much better is it and what difference it makes...
After all we're talking about 1500 Euro + fitting :D

Have a look at hot lap times between CS and trophy, i'm sure it'll talk you. I'm think topgear have test both versions.

You won't quantify the quality of this car without testing it by yourself...

But never test it before having 1500€ in your pocket, because you'll adopt it :)

182 cup pack
Ι've searched at the top gear site but could only find an article about 182 cup and it seems that they haven't tested the Trophy...

Regarding the lap times I've found this:
http://www.topgear.com/content/tgonbbc2/laptimes/thestig/

In 57th spot is the clio cup (wich one though? 172 or 182? )

Anyway I wish we had a Trophy version in Greece so I could drive it but we haven't.... :D

Why not just buy a set of coilovers?

The best quality kits for the clio RS (Bilstein , H&R and Leda.) are availble for the same price or less
You have the advatage of height adjustability with all these kits.

The cost of the trophy kit is the same price as the ledas and billies. I dont see why you would go for the trophy suspension over these??

RenaultSport clio 172 mk1
Let’s get things one by one…. :clown:
If these Trophy items have hydraulic bump stops (as mentioned above) the whole discussion should end here. Just imagine that for converting my racing Ohlins (for an MGZR105 rally car) to integrate hydraulic BS costs around 3200€ extra!
(By using hydraulic BS no need for adjusting the height exists):dapprove:
Coilovers shouldn’t be a reason of concern except from the use of springs with different characteristics that are much easier to find for coils but they are also much much stiff for road use. Just note that in order to change the height of the car since the optimum for a damper is to rest at exactly the middle of the travel, any big height change would need reworking on the piston.:eek:
Another point of concern about the various dampers that exist in the market has to do with the quality of the valving and the durability of them. I would most definitely not buy anything else than Ohlins or proflex but being so expensive :S for road use the sachs sounds much better since the dumping curves are said to be designed for the Clio by a chassis engineer that had huge success with 5 Alpins, 5 Gt’s, Clio’s Williams, Meganes and MAXIS in racing, and since sachs is known for professional stance in world Motorsport.
:dead::dead::dead::dead: hope these all were not boring :sleepy: