ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Upgrade time - Apple -v- Samsung

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d
And? low end or not, the fact is Android is more popular than the iPhone. Remeber that iOS also runs on the ipad so that also 'boosts' apples figures. What your saying is basically 'oh they arnt the top spec devices, so we wont count them'... the iPhone 1 is a pretty low end device these days as well now you know...

Because the iPhone is a high end device, there is no cheap basic spec model running ios, so you're not comparing similar spec devices, I am talking about new models here btw.

The iPad argument is a moot point as well, what about all the Android tablets, in fact I am sat typing this on my Motorola Xoom running Android

I'm an Android fan, but I am not a blinkered Apple hater

Apple still sell the 4 and the 3GS as the cheapo versions.

What I don't get with you Android bunch is that you all go on about rooting and how that makes your devices better and you can do so many other things but the second anyone mentions jailbreaking then you say that's not comparable and still use arguments that Apple is locked down.

Maybe locked down and not having to run virus protection on a phone is a good thing? Not having to worry about the latest trojans in all your app stores that nobody checks or monitors?

Most people aren't geeks, obviously forums will skew those stats but the general public buying a new phone from Phones4U on a Saturday aren't going home to root it and find ICS from an obscure source, they're going to charge it and watch X-Factor.

The iPhone is by far the best out of the box experience. If you count modding your phone and doing whatever then there's jailbreaking so the iPhone is still ahead.

The only reason any Android has decent sales stats is because they make them much cheaper than the iPhone. If you the top end phones then the sim free/unlocked versions are about the same price but stick them on a contract and Samsung/HTC drop their prices massively or they can't compete.

Obviously there would be a hardened bunch that would still pay £xxx for an S2 but most people won't.

There have been various surveys etc and the biggest reason for picking Android is price.

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
I own an iPhone, Android phone and a BlackBerry. The iPhone is the most polished experience across any of the handsets currently out. It's the best made, the easiest to use and has the best support. The Android phones are more customisable and of course more open but that leads to issues of it's own. The Play Store is a mess, the ever expanding screen sizes and resolutions make it impossible for a developer to make an app work perfectly across all devices and you seemingly have to install an anti-virus and battery saving apps as soon as you buy the product. Kind of reminds me of what happens with Windows really...

Overall if you want a more complete experience with a phone then nothing comes close to the iPhone, if you want something that you can customise to within an inch of its life to make it work how you want to then go for an Android phone. imo of course.

I have never ran anti virus on any of my android phones or a battery saving program and I have never had a problem.

Yeh, that's probably true. In the same way I've never run anti-virus on my computers as I don't click everything in sight on dodgy websites.

But I'm in the minority. Same as computer savvy people don't understand how people can fall for the 'ello i am callin frum ur bank' scams.

MOST people are retarded. It's no good just looking out for the smart people.

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
I've not read many posts posts that go on about Jailbreaking not being comparable (maybe I should spend more time in the Apple section?). There was also no need to root my S2 to obtain ICS.
What I don't get with Apple fans is the need to try and make out that Android is riddled with viruses which it's not (It's also not as if the iphone is completely immune to them).
Another thing that seems to crop up a lot is people saying that the only reason people choose to get a top end Android is because they can't afford to pay the extra for the iphone. They seem quick to forget that the iphone will always sell for more second hand and cancel out the difference.
I like the iphone and it's probably the easiest smartphone to use out of the box but to suggest that Androids are difficult is a bit silly. I come across plenty of non technical people at work etc that have no issues with using Android. They might not use it to it's full capability but do you really think they would with an iphone?

As has been said many times they both have there pros and cons and you take your choice...

Skoda Fabia vRS
personally id never buy a Samsung, as soon as they release a phone the support for it pretty much ends, no more updates etc, id get a HTC, the iphone is too small and too restricted, i dont want to have to have itunes, nor do i want to jailbreak or whatever my phone, i just wanna use it

but, im not really that up to date on the new handsets

Scirocco 2.0 tsi
personally id never buy a Samsung, as soon as they release a phone the support for it pretty much ends, no more updates etc, id get a HTC, the iphone is too small and too restricted, i dont want to have to have itunes, nor do i want to jailbreak or whatever my phone, i just wanna use it

but, im not really that up to date on the new handsets

You're belief on the lack of support for modern samsung phones is about as up to date as the belief that skodas are bad cars or alfas are extremely unreliable.

So the S1 has got ICS?

And I mean officially. Press a button and it updates. Not via rooting and hunting it down yourself.

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
So the S1 has got ICS?

And I mean officially. Press a button and it updates. Not via rooting and hunting it down yourself.

The S1 is too old to get ICS. The S2 has it and has/is being rolled out.
I was inpatient and downloaded the rom and stuck it on without the need to root. It also kept all my settings and apps as they were.

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
99% of users wouldn't even know what Gingerbread and ICS was and wouldn't feel the need to have the latest version. They wouldn't notice the benefits of the update as they just use them.

Again making it out to be a bigger issue than it is....

If you don't have a clue what you're talking about or are just going to make up stats its probably best you just don't post.

Listerine & Poledo
Thanks Roy.

Well, this got out of hand while I wasn't looking.

OK, I'll go into whichever shop and try an S3, Note, One X and 4S when the S3 comes out.

Status
Not open for further replies.