ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Unleaded Vs Super Unleaded

I'm guessing what i'm gonna type is gonna cause some debate and i'm gonna get called all the names under the sun.

Is it just me or is it all in peoples heads regarding Super Unleaded doing something for there wee clio thats has a different exhaust and filter for example.
By that i mean more power etc etc.

Fair enough it may have a few extra additives in it but is it really worth the extra pennies for a Naturally Aspirated lightly modified car ?
And even if it has been remapped is it really gonna do anything ?
And would you really see any increases running Super over normal Unleaded on an ITB'd car or is it all in your head ?

You aint exactly gonna see horsepower hikes like you would on a remapped or turbo'd car such as a Subaru etc.

I'd start a poll Super Unleaded Vs Unleaded but dunno how to :(

Get posting your criticms and comments.

Last edited:
  AGH the sl*g
personal preference tbh, everyone will have a different view. I personally only run mine on shell v-power. firstly mine is remapped on a 98ron map, secondly it runs cleaner through your engine and finally i find i get a very slightly higher mpg than running it on standard unleaded so in the long run you pay a couple of pence more but get a couple miles more so infact the cost of running standard v super works out the same but with the advantage of a cleaner running engine.

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
I only use V power as that's what you're told to use. Cost is very little difference. I'd rather use what's recommended.

Fabia vrs tdi
On 95 ron my 182 on over run from cold bangs n pops lots but on v power it's fine that's the only difference I notice

Clio 182 arctic
on a full tank it costs you an extra what £2-3. thats the differece between you deciding if you wana have a good blast or not, or deciding if you will buy something exra for your dinner etc, i personally always use v-power. y i dont know, i feel no difference and my driving style changes day in day out depending on the mood so i couldnt comment on mpg findings.

53 Clio's & counting
I ran mine on 428s standalone once on 95 and it idled like a sack of s**t. Never again

This.

I have done a fuel test with mine.

I ran 1000 miles on Tesco 95 and then 1000 miles on Tesco 99.

Both fuels were got from the same garage.

My car ran worse on the 95, idled lower, felt flat and generally felt 'poor'.

On 99 it ran much better, seemed more lively and averaged 4 mpg more, offsetting the extra cost.

As iv said a few times, imo why spend out on ££££ of mods getting the very best out of your car, and not get the better fuel for a few pennies extra?

It cost me just under £2 from empty to fully fill my car with 99 over 95.

Makes no sense to me to run 95.

Of course its down to personal opinion, and I think people need to run more than a tank of either to get a good idea to what that individual car will drive like (The ECU's are very adaptive) to make a defenitive choice, hense why I ran mine for 1000 miles on each.

Mine was also mapped on super, so thats all it has

IMO of course :)

V6 255 (Illiad Blue)
My V6 255 is currently avergaing 27.9mpg on Vpower. The shell garage was closed for 8 weeks for a refurb... I had to run it on Tesco superunleaded and averaged 25.9mpg...Ive never run it on normal

Fiesta ST3
This.

I have done a fuel test with mine.

I ran 1000 miles on Tesco 95 and then 1000 miles on Tesco 99.

Both fuels were got from the same garage.

My car ran worse on the 95, idled lower, felt flat and generally felt 'poor'.

On 99 it ran much better, seemed more lively and averaged 4 mpg more, offsetting the extra cost.

As iv said a few times, imo why spend out on ££££ of mods getting the very best out of your car, and not get the better fuel for a few pennies extra?

It cost me just under £2 from empty to fully fill my car with 99 over 95.

Makes no sense to me to run 95.

Of course its down to personal opinion, and I think people need to run more than a tank of either to get a good idea to what that individual car will drive like (The ECU's are very adaptive) to make a defenitive choice, hense why I ran mine for 1000 miles on each.

Mine was also mapped on super, so thats all it has

IMO of course :)

great post mate, i might try Tesco 99 today

have you tried Sainsburys Super unleaded? think its a little cheaper?

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
The 200 idles and runs better on vpower, noticeable flat spots on 95. Even if there was no difference in how it runs, I'd still use it for the cleaning properties.

TimR26

South Central- West Berks
ClioSport Area Rep
Similar to posts above my car idles/runs much better on super and has been mapped to 98ron so I always use V-power. Unsure if there's any difference mpg wise but I earn a good wage so a few quid extra to fill up doesn't bother me.

Dip

04 Clio 16V Dynamique
I use 99. Mine practically lives on the Motorway, burns cleaner and noticable difference in pull and MPG.

A Friend has a ITB'd Clio, he runs it on V-Power and went through a phase of Normal Unleaded. Definate difference.

yawn... I cannot serious fathom why you would want to run a performance hatch on a lesser fuel. I even sacrifice other things so that the car gets the best, why skimp?

god even if its c**k and balls (i know the meg misfires and runs terribly of 95) I'd still want the piece of mind that I was putting the best stuff i could (within limits, obviously i'd love to run BP 101 ;)) into my car.

Fiesta ST2
few weeks after I got my 197 I put 95 in a few times by mistake and there was a lot of spluttering and really bad idling getting worse the longer I drove I filled it full of super and that did the trick all spluttering gone etc after all it does say on the filler cap 97-98 does it not ?

Addz

ClioSport Club Member
  Trophy, TVR Tamora
My vee seems to pop and bang more when its on 99/v-power ect..

Mk5 golf gti
mine certainnly runs better on super
and i get an extra 3-5 mpg so it doesnt really cost that much extra as your getting few more miles so i always use it

LY R26 230 F1 Team
I buy the cheapest stuff i can find, get an email everyday telling me the cheapest garages in my area.

got 5p off a litre at tesco so paid £1.09 and worked out to a £1.50 saving on a full tank.

In reality the cost isnt all that much between the two.

My 172 always got filled with V-Power and now my 200 is getting the same, it's only a few quid per tank extra. Never actually ran either on 95 to see if there is a difference.

I agree with Naith, I spend a lot of money on genuine/performance parts to keep my cars tiptop so I don't see the logic in skimping on fuel.

Evo 8 MR
My 172 always got filled with V-Power and now my 200 is getting the same, it's only a few quid per tank extra. Never actually ran either on 95 to see if there is a difference.

I agree with Naith, I spend a lot of money on genuine/performance parts to keep my cars tiptop so I don't see the logic in skimping on fuel.

I do, it's cheaper.

Mine get's morrisons no frills.

I'll only think about using V-power if/when I get a remap.

Clio 197 RB
Fifth gear did a rolling road test on a few cars using 95 supermarket fuel, bp ultimate and shell V-power, and overall V-power gave a better mpg and bhp and torque!!
So if your after a maximum of like 5bhp if your lucky then use V-power, but it's up to you!
You probably won't feel much of a difference between the three to be honest!!

Ph1 track slag
cars dont like switching between the different types of fuel i.e going from 99 to 95 then 99 again then a little more 95 then full tank of 99.....................etc. With old cars without an ecu its fine not 'new' cars with electronic systems that alter air/fuel ratios it can cause problems

Fiesta ST3
Fifth gear did a rolling road test on a few cars using 95 supermarket fuel, bp ultimate and shell V-power, and overall V-power gave a better mpg and bhp and torque!!
So if your after a maximum of like 5bhp if your lucky then use V-power, but it's up to you!

sure Shell didn't pay them the most to get a result in their favour ;)

Lionel Richie

5th gear reckoned the 200 clio was quicker round the track than a 182, it wasn't, they switched the figures

plus they used thor's dyno, i've seen more accurate guess work

Lionel Richie
cars dont like switching between the different types of fuel i.e going from 99 to 95 then 99 again then a little more 95 then full tank of 99.....................etc. With old cars without an ecu its fine not 'new' cars with electronic systems that alter air/fuel ratios it can cause problems

pardon?

Addz

ClioSport Club Member
  Trophy, TVR Tamora
Hmm a massive company like shell with millions at their disposal, couple of million for a fairly big car show to say theirs is the best petrol?

Evo 8 MR
In that case, why bother using genuine/performance bits on your car? Most of the cheaper stuff will do the same job just not quite as well, like using normal vs super unleaded.

The difference is light and day, the difference between fuels is not.

Clio V6 Mk2 255
Run my Mk2 Vee and high powered JDM GT4 Turbo (1 bar boost) on 95 ron fuel with no issues at all ... Now and again, for things like track days etc. I may use 98/99 but other than that - that's my choice :)

Martin

Addz

ClioSport Club Member
  Trophy, TVR Tamora
You use the best oil you can afford in your car so why be different with the petrol.

Again i dont, bog standard carlube 5w40 fully for a tenner from work, i just change it often!

No point in spending £60 on castrol when it get changed so often.