ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

uh oh , spagettio, snapped wheel bolts

work for BMW
FML , had to take my car to the garage to remove s**tty locking wheel nuts for me , after they did that I went home to take the wheels off the change brake pads and 3 of the bolts in the front right wheel snapped clean off when I loosened them :(

They left about 1cm of threaded bolt in the hub impossible to get out so now its back in the garage hopefully they can drill them out and rethread , what a waste of time and money :(:(

pic shows only 2 snapped, 1 more happened afterwards

[URL/]
IMG_20130617_141229-1.jpg
[/URL]

Last edited:
  work for BMW
Because I pput the wheel back on , put the 2 remaining bolts in and as I tightened the first bolt ( just a normal wrench with not huge effort) it snapped as well ! I have never experienced anything like it

Clio 172
Go to your local tool shop and get some stud extractors. There not very expensive and dead easy to use. All you do is drill a smallish hole in the centre of the bolt that's left then screw the extractor in.

Silver Phase 2 172
Wow they must have been mega tight! I have never seen that! To remove the disc get a screwdriver that fits the screws well, give it a few taps with a hammer on the head of the screwdriver and that should help then you should be able to unscrew them have done loads like that due to our impact driver braking! Then you should be able to get to the snapped bolts easier.

​Hope this helps

didnt see they were torx bolts so get an extension with the correct torx on the end and do the same steps as above!

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
Just drill the disk retention bolts out, they're not needed.

then get some grips or weld a nut onto the stud poking out

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Usual trick to remove locking wheel nuts involves tightening up the non lockers.

Would certainly explain why they have all failed.

I'd try and an easy-out or weld a nut on those personally and if it didnt work just fit secondhand hubs that arent knackered.

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
Purchase a torque wrench for the next lot of wheel bolts :) No need to go VFT. I wouldn't be without one, especially on my last Clio swapping track wheels for road wheels on trackdays.

Silver Phase 2 172
You could also wind two nuts onto the bolts when you get the discs off, lock them off against each other and then unwind the stud by undoing the nut closest to the hub

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
You could also wind two nuts onto the bolts when you get the discs off, lock them off against each other and then unwind the stud by undoing the nut closest to the hub

How much space do you think the disk takes up lol?

​besides if they're that tight then that won't work ime

Silver Phase 2 172
I'm sure there would be enough the second one doesn't have to be all the way on. And it's worth a try before you start welding stuff to them surly?

work for BMW
Its in my local garage so hopefully will be sorted soon, he's quoted me 2 hours labour

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
You can almost bet they rattle gunned the locking nut on. A Tyre place did it on my old car, worst idea ever!

I imagine they'll weald a nut head to that and then screw it out..

Usual trick to remove locking wheel nuts involves tightening up the non lockers.

Exactly this - they usually airgun the 3 non lockers silly tight so that the locking nut is a bit loosened - then hammer a socket or a reverse thread socket onto them and airgun the locker out

You'll need new wheel bolts all round as they have been over-stretched
I also wouldn't pay a garage another 2hours labour to fix an issue they clearly caused lol