ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ubuntu + Beryl..

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
How is ubuntu not real linux lol..

I use it on desktop systems as its easy to setup, run and manage.. its easy to install new applications and the user support is massive.

Im considering moving 3 FC5/6 systems in my work to Ubuntu for that very reason. Its a pain in the ass upgrading RHEL and CentOS systems, Im just about to upgrade them from RHEL4/CentOS4 to RHEL5/CentOS5 but I need the server stability (and in the case of RHEL the official support) they provide.

According to an angry openSUSE user that I pissed off yesterday, Ubuntu isn't REAL Linux. I guess openSUSE is? Didn't seem much different to me when I used it!

Ubuntu is based on Debian, which is about as "real" as you can get - fully volunteer etc..

SuSE started out true I think, but then got all commericial and stuff, heh.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
^^ Exactly.. listen to this man ;)

Still loving Ubuntu, just installed it on another system with a wireless card knowing the pain wireless can be in linux. After installation sure enough the wireless wasnt working..

Thanks to Ubuntu and its community support software I was up and running with wireless less than 15 seconds later though ! Didnt even have to reboot ;) (not that you ever have to)

Not a Clio
Trying to convince my dad to try it, I'm about to upgrade his machine and he's got a dodgy copy of XP on it, so wants to buy a new copy.

I want him to try Ubuntu before he forks out money on Windows, not having much luck at the moment though. He says he doesn't feel comfortable using anything other than Windows. I can't even get him to come over and just give it a quick try on my machine. :(

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
The system I did above was because the person was sick of windows lol was causing all kinds of problems !!

most people wont switch until they reach breaking point with windows... thats what did it for me waaaaaay back.. told the system to shut down.. waited.. tried again.. waited..

waited...

nada.. I want an OS that when I tell it to shut down it f**king shuts down lol !! switched to linux (didnt even have Fedora core.. was red hat 6 or something) and havent looked back since.

Not a Clio
Dad's always having problems but that doesn't seem to put him off!

Only recently managed to get him to dump Norton in favour of Avast when he got a virus that Norton couldn't get rid of.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
Tell him if you put ubuntu on he neednt worry about viruses again.. and that he doesnt need to bother with cd keys and licenses etc. That he wont have to pay for upgrades etc !