ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ubuntu + Beryl..

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
Upgraded one of my boxes to ubuntu feisty fawn..

OMG @ how far the linux desktop has come !

I have now been using Feisty Fawn for a few days and am very impressed. Just got round to installing beryl now and it literally blows me away with its awesomness ! I have hardly touched a command line other than to install nvidia drivers etc.

I am just loving minimizing windows as I have it set to burn them.. click minimize and they disappear in a hail of flames !

Yea.
Compare it to 8 years ago.. and all you got was a WindowManager which couldn't do fonts properly.
Compare it to 2 years ago and it's so different too.

However, it's still not "polished" like OSX is.. it's good, but it's just not got the edge IMO (And I think most people agree).

But, in terms of progress, it's stupid. It's progressed loads.. altho, if I used it now on my desktop/laptop, I'd still use Fluxbox :p
Maybe that's me, but the true Linux which to me is Fluxbox and a Terminal. Nothing more, nothing less.

It's getting there.. but I know that OSX is there and progressing into the future.. :)
KDF, You're DEFINETLY a OSX user really.. buy a Mac Mini and use that for a week - that's all it took to convince me.. :)

RB 182
Beryl is very cool, shame my laptop is so crap I can't use it, got it working on my desktop though :cool:

Love the burning as you say and the 'bouncyness' of the windows is fun as well.

Daz I swear your sponsered by Apple sometimes :)

Not a Clio
I had problems when coming out of full screen video and when playing OpenGL games, so I don't use it at the moment.

Will be interesting to see what comes out of the re-merging of Beryl and Compiz.

Just installed Ubuntu 7.04 on my Desktop today to replace my RC2 Vista install (because it runs out at the end of May) and I'm extremely pleased at what I have. This is my desktop at the moment.

screenshot.png

Just realised the image doesn't really show much really. lol. But I have got Vista style windows with Mac style icons and menus.

Whilst we on the topic of Linux, doesn't anyone know how to compile ndiswrapper, I'm trying to get my wireless working and not getting far at the moment.

Also does anyone have any replacement login windows?

See, the only screenshots you ever see nowadays is that damn stupid, useless cube :rasp:
Back in the day, we used to show off TTF fonts working properly, and terminals.. now it's all a load of shitty eye-candy :p :rasp: *RUNS*

See, the only screenshots you ever see nowadays is that damn stupid, useless cube :rasp:
Back in the day, we used to show off TTF fonts working properly, and terminals.. now it's all a load of s**tty eye-candy :p :rasp: *RUNS*
lol, Ionly did the cube screenshot to wow the Windows users ;)

See, this: http://fluxbox.sourceforge.net/zoom.php?themes/contrib/seer-o_influx.jpg

Looks better to me. It's awesome. It's everything Linux is/should be ;) :D

Bit boring don't you think? Geeky? :quiet:

Bit boring don't you think? Geeky? :quiet:

It is geeky yea.. but that's what Linux is. None Geeks use Windows or OSX.. Seriously :) Windows or OSX "just work" on the desktop.. (OSX more so ;))

Imagine that screen, with 10 terminals on it, 1600x1200 on the big ass CRT.. that's what I was using. Awesome - there was nothing I couldn't do from a terminal.. but, no GUI apps were available at all.. :p

True Linux.. none of this Wobbly Window crap ;)

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
Yea.
Compare it to 8 years ago.. and all you got was a WindowManager which couldn't do fonts properly.
Compare it to 2 years ago and it's so different too.

However, it's still not "polished" like OSX is.. it's good, but it's just not got the edge IMO (And I think most people agree).

But, in terms of progress, it's stupid. It's progressed loads.. altho, if I used it now on my desktop/laptop, I'd still use Fluxbox :p
Maybe that's me, but the true Linux which to me is Fluxbox and a Terminal. Nothing more, nothing less.

It's getting there.. but I know that OSX is there and progressing into the future.. :)
KDF, You're DEFINETLY a OSX user really.. buy a Mac Mini and use that for a week - that's all it took to convince me.. :)

Yeah, massive changes. I first started using linux in 94, can't even remember what window manager I was using back then, other than it was just the standard X toolkit. I used solaris a lot with CDE and that was awesome.

Linux needs a de-facto standard GUI API, having both gnome & KDE isn't helping its cause. My vote would be for gnome as it isn't based on QT and doesn't have the legality issues that KDE potentially has.

Then again I mostly use linux from a command prompt as my systems don't have graphics chips or anything!

2004 1.2 Dynamique
Whats the best way to get how to use linux? A bloke I used to work with bought a magazine ages ago and a free ubuntu cd and self tought himself, hes a whizz at it now.

Any reccomendations on how to get to use it, I've installed it before but never done anything else with it basically

Not a Clio
What I did was install Ubuntu and start using it.

If I had a problem or wanted to know how to do something then I used the ubuntu forum. http://ubuntuforums.org/

As long as you have a bit of common sense then it's not a hard OS to learn.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
Is it just a case of chucking in a disk or do you need to compile ?

Thinking of getting a PS3 soonish .

I inserted the cd and follwed the onscreen instructions, it was very easy. Use the alternative install cd, the Live CD freezes at 15%.

Sounds great ! now all I need to do is dig around in my pockets for £350 ;)

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
The only Linux interface I'll ever use is a terminal screen.. I don't even have a GUI loaded on the only 2 *nix boxes in the server rooms :p

Linux GUI's are always trying too hard to be something else, like a Corsa with a Ferrari badge

Not a Clio
Based upon what?

I've used Gnome and KDE, KDE is a bit cluttered options wise but otherwise they both do what you'd expect them to do.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
He's being specific ;)

I find both Gnome and KDE to be HIGHLY configurable if you have specific ways you would like the GUI to behave.. you can change anything you want..

My personal preferecne is Gnome, but I used to love KDE and have recently moved back to it..

Not a Clio
I don't mind either, but I wish they would implement the ability to remember window positions in Gnome! I know you can use devilspie but you shouldn't have to.

Yay! Beryl is awsome!

I cant wait for KDE 4 to come out properly. I went back to Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy after 7.04 didnt like my laptop too much. Wifi and graphics crashes.

Xandros is very good atm. I seem to have gone through about 10 distros over the last month or so...Well not quite 10:

Ubuntu 7.04
PCLinux - TR4
Open Suse 10.?
Dam Small
Xandros Desktop
Puppy <<< I really like this one.

My boot manager looks fookin stupid atm!

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
Awwwww.

Awesome.

This is what I used BEFORE Blackbox/Fluxbox.

http://windowmaker.info/imageview.php?cat=big&id=40

Awesome.. looked just like that, too! :D

None of this none-functional-cube-wobbly-windows crap ;) :rasp:

Haha.. almost raw x11.... been there.. fast sure.. but i reckon I wasnt as productive with desktop/office type things with that ;)

Cant remember if it was raw X11 or this but I couldnt even figure out how to move a window lol

Haha.. almost raw x11.... been there.. fast sure.. but i reckon I wasnt as productive with desktop/office type things with that ;)

I was massivly more productive. It was more of a way to open lots of terminals at once :rasp:

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
Yay! Beryl is awsome!

I cant wait for KDE 4 to come out properly. I went back to Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy after 7.04 didnt like my laptop too much. Wifi and graphics crashes.

Xandros is very good atm. I seem to have gone through about 10 distros over the last month or so...Well not quite 10:

Ubuntu 7.04
PCLinux - TR4
Open Suse 10.?
Dam Small
Xandros Desktop
Puppy <<< I really like this one.

My boot manager looks fookin stupid atm!

I reckon I could get on with pretty much any distro.. it just takes a bit to get used to different package managers, file locations etc... to be honest I kinda prefer building things from source anyway as you can optimize it all.

Not a Clio
According to an angry openSUSE user that I pissed off yesterday, Ubuntu isn't REAL Linux. I guess openSUSE is? Didn't seem much different to me when I used it!