ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

tyres for winter

53 Clio's & counting
I had a set of wi ter tyres on a sales car last year and they were brilliant - couldn't believe how better they were on ice and wet roads, even snow.

Now I have an old ratty mk3 Golf Estate that I've had for ages as a run around and it needs four new tyres.

The issue is the size - it has 195/60/14's on and they are quite hard to get in that size, most are cheap s**t tyres.

I'm after some info on some good tyres - I need some good all rounders, not after superb dry weather grip like a track tyre as it's only for pottering around in, but I would like a set that won't have too much trouble if we do get some bad weather.

I don't want to go to full winter tyres as they are not that great in the warmer months and I'm certainly not spending out on 2 sets of tyres for it!

I have seen some cheap goodride winter tyres but I value my life more than that, so I have been looking at some Uniroyal rainexperts - a full set will cost me about £210 ish which im happy spending but has anyone had good experience with these in Ice and snow and in cold wet weather?

I will happily listen to other suggestions if you can find any in my tyre size!

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
Vredestein Quatrac 3s, they are a great all season tyre and available in your size. Shouldn't be much more than the price of those Uniroyals.

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
Rainsports? Never used them myself but going from previous threads on here and what you want it sounds like an ideal choice.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
TBH I'd get a set of M&S tyres and just leave them on it all year round.

Something like http://www.mytyres.co.uk/cgi-bin/rs...&dsco=110&sowigan=Wi&m_s=3&rsmFahrzeugart=PKW without trying to look too hard.

My Mum's Corsa is on winters all year round .. they're going to be better than 'summers' in the rain all year round and for half the year there's nothing to worry about anyway.

With that 60 profile, you're not ever going to be setting lap records of the 'Ring anyway ;)

If they do wear a little quick in the summer months, they're £50 a corner.... you'll still get 2 years out of them at least I'd think - if not more !

Or listen to Ben.

http://lovetyres.com/tyre/Vredestein-Quatrac-3/165-60-14

Pretty much as teg says. I'd just run winters/all seasons year round Russ.

I've just gone for a mix of snowproxs on the rear and ic*ept up front for December through to feb ish...

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Yup Winters all year round if handling doesn't matter. They'll wear fine if you buy decent then just replace the front 2 if need be later.

Not sure how the "all season" ones work in the depths of winter.

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
Yup Winters all year round if handling doesn't matter. They'll wear fine if you buy decent then just replace the front 2 if need be later.

Not sure how the "all season" ones work in the depths of winter.

Should still perform far better than summer tyres, they are stamped with M+S like a winter too.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I found my winter tyres wore out really quickly when I left them on too long and the temps had got back to 20 odd degrees airtemp.

53 Clio's & counting
price is the same mate, both get good reviews so i guess either will be good - i'll take a punt on the Vredestein :)

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
I'd be going Vreds as well. I've been using their summer tyres since 2009 and have been very happy with them. So based on that, I'd opt for their winters over another brand as well.

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
Got the vreds on mine for past 2 winters difference is night & day to normal tyres.

Put it like this in snow with normal tyres I take the day off as cannot even get off my drive, with winters just drive as usual.

172 Cup
I've for a set of Nokian WR A3 waiting to go on my Cup.
They appear to get good reviews online.
195 45 16 were £300 for a set.
Watch the online prices rocket the moment the weather gets really bad!

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
I've for a set of Nokian WR A3 waiting to go on my Cup.
They appear to get good reviews online.
195 45 16 were £300 for a set.
Watch the online prices rocket the moment the weather gets really bad!

Veeeeery impressed with mine so far !!

Drive like 'summer' rubber. Spot on.. can't wait for some real cold stuff to arrive.

53 Clio's & counting
So these bad boys:

http://www.mytyres.co.uk/cgi-bin/rs...ort=P&dsco=110&sowigan=GAN&rsmFahrzeugart=PKW

Are the ones I'm going to go for, as long as they work in the ice and snow ok and work the rest of the year ok i'll be happy - obviously it doesn't get driven hard much, but I am toying with the idea of 2 sets of tyres - would these work as just winter tyres? I really don't want to be spending out on 2 sets, so I probably will just stick with the one, just chucking some ideas around

So these bad boys:

http://www.mytyres.co.uk/cgi-bin/rs...ort=P&dsco=110&sowigan=GAN&rsmFahrzeugart=PKW

Are the ones I'm going to go for, as long as they work in the ice and snow ok and work the rest of the year ok i'll be happy - obviously it doesn't get driven hard much, but I am toying with the idea of 2 sets of tyres - would these work as just winter tyres? I really don't want to be spending out on 2 sets, so I probably will just stick with the one, just chucking some ideas around

Good tyre that ^. The organisation I work for specs its vans on that tyre for all year round use. Get put to good use on pretty much all conditions, which can often be snowwy greavelly forest roads! Probably the best all-season, fit-and-forget tyre IMO

Maybe a 172 Cup..
Glad this thread has popped up. I was about to order some Quatrac 3's for Civic in 225/45/17. Most in that size though are XL tyres. Other than running slightly higher pressure is there any reason these wouldn't be ok for me does anyone know??

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
I used Avon Ice Tourers on wife's 118d and they were excellent.

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
Glad this thread has popped up. I was about to order some Quatrac 3's for Civic in 225/45/17. Most in that size though are XL tyres. Other than running slightly higher pressure is there any reason these wouldn't be ok for me does anyone know??

Running XL will make no difference in terms of cons.

53 Clio's & counting
FFS.

Change of plan, every tyre supplier I tried did not have the Quatrac 3's in stock in my tyre size - even the ones listed as they did have them :rolleyes:

So I had a choice of waiting 2-4 weeks, or choose another tyre, so I have decided to go with these

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/tyre-guides/45314/hankook-optimo-4s

The Hankooks seem to have got a great review everywhere I have looked, and worked out a little cheaper than the Quatracs - Plus they will be with me early next week, so will update once I have got them!

53 Clio's & counting
Update!

Ok, so I have had the Hankook's on for nearly a week, and have covered about 80 miles.

Good points are they are not very noisy, and steering input is very nice for a tyres with a large side wall.

The only point I am not sure on at the mo is pressure - my mate who fitted them put the fronts at 35psi and the rears at 33 psi, but I am finding not as much grip as I would expect from these tyres, so I have dropped the fronts to 32psi and the rears to 30 psi.

Do these winter orientated tyres need any bedding in before they produce their proper grip?

aucky

ClioSport Club Member
Update!

Ok, so I have had the Hankook's on for nearly a week, and have covered about 80 miles.

Good points are they are not very noisy, and steering input is very nice for a tyres with a large side wall.

The only point I am not sure on at the mo is pressure - my mate who fitted them put the fronts at 35psi and the rears at 33 psi, but I am finding not as much grip as I would expect from these tyres, so I have dropped the fronts to 32psi and the rears to 30 psi.

Do these winter orientated tyres need any bedding in before they produce their proper grip?

I have Dunlop Winter Sport M3's. After they were inflated I didn't have time to reduce the pressure (from about 36PSI) and they were bloody dangerous! With about 30-31PSI in they were spot on.

I think the tread blocks open up more than a standard tyre so with more pressure you're just wobbling around on the central blocks.

53 Clio's & counting
Smashing cheers mate, will be interesting to see what my drive to work is like in the morning now they are down to 30 ish

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Ive had these fitted on the front of my van for the last 2 days.

Vredestein QUATRAC 3 in 175/70/14 and so far so good. I have the XL.

There seems to be lots more grip in places that i know there was not, also it does not seem to understeer as much as it did.
Im looking forward to the bad weather now.

Maybe a 172 Cup..

After I posted this I ended up having the Quatrac 3 in xl fitted. Not really driven enough since yet to comment, but no extra noticable noise IMO which is a bonus.