ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Tyres for Wet track days??

Clio 172 & BMW 335D
Just wondering what tyres everyone uses on a wet track day?

I run 888's when it's nice but it rained on my last track day and didn't get much grip

What do people suggest?

Josh

Clio 172 & BMW 335D
When I was on that track day someone was using toyo's just like the performance road tyre and he seemed to be going okay

Might try them Federal RSR but they are abit pricy haha

gez 172

ClioSport Club Member
  Defender 110
I'd just use a normal road tyre if your concerned about price. Get some good rating wet; they're not going to heat up much if the track is soaked and they'll disperse the water well

Clio 172 & BMW 335D
I'd just use a normal road tyre if your concerned about price. Get some good rating wet; they're not going to heat up much if the track is soaked and they'll disperse the water well

Yeahh just bought a second set of track wheels which have toyo t1r so will see how they work

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I use rsr. Quite good in the wet and don't fall apart if it dries out a bit like an rs2 does for example.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
T1R in the wet arent great, but given that they are a budget tyre and not one aimed at wet weather like say a rainsport 2, its hardly surprising really, I cant imagine how anyone would make the mistake of fitting them thinking they were going to be great wet weather trackday tyres.

They are "ok" all round as a budget road tyre IME, but thats about it.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I've got a set of RainSport 3's for mine in the wet :cool:

Have you tried them much yet on track? And if so what did you have on there before and how do they compare?
Im quite interested in them if they dont fall apart when used hard in the dry like RS2 ones did if they still manage similar wet performance.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Have you tried them much yet on track? And if so what did you have on there before and how do they compare?
Im quite interested in them if they dont fall apart when used hard in the dry like RS2 ones did if they still manage similar wet performance.

Not yet, dude.. Snett and Cadwell will no doubt be wet this week :eek:

GiT

ClioSport Club Member
  Shit little Yaris...
T1R's are the worst wet tyres, EVER!

This. T1Rs are great for dry, but get mullered fast. Wet though they are pure garbage for anything more than normal road driving.

Uniroyal Rainsports are supposed to be extremely good.

RS6+ & 40d MSport X5
This. T1Rs are great for dry, but get mullered fast. Wet though they are pure garbage for anything more than normal road driving.

I'm a big big fan of Rainsports but only for road use. The sidewalls are far too soft for track use!

182 track, Mk7 ST
I use PE2s on wet/dam/very cold track days and they are awesome, had so much confidence with them on when it was torrential rain at Snetterton and Brands in December.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

Rainsport 2 have a very similar tread pattern to the T1R but with much large exit groves on the shoulders, this makes them better in the wet but more fragile in the dry than the T1R.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
i use federal rsr for wet or dry and in the wet they are shockinly good. great value any weather tyre.

Agreed, I have yet to find any tyre at any price that is a better all rounder, if I had to have one tyre for ever it would be the RSR, even though its not the best in wet or in the dry, its the best overall.

ITB Hybrid+Cup+Scenic II
I find the Uniroyal Rainsports very good for the price.
Did brilliantly on Nürburgring with lots of water on track.
They do have a soft side wall but that is not neccessarily a bad thing in the wet :)
In the dry they just dont work (on track) - as a daily tyre they are fine.... (and cheap)

Jamie86

ClioSport Club Member
  RS175,595,205gti,172
I destroyed a set of rainsport2 on the back of my mx5 at Llandow even in standing water, the tread actually started coming off of the carcass!

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
I use PE2s on wet/dam/very cold track days and they are awesome, had so much confidence with them on when it was torrential rain at Snetterton and Brands in December.

Same, I use my old road tyres so generally they don't have much tread left and they still just hang on and hang on in there. And cost me effectively nowt!