ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Two Questions?

BMW Z4
Hi guys ive got two questions to ask save me making two threads.

First of all i would like to know after all youre processing how do you put a website or youre name ect in the corner of youre pictures im new to all the post processing and installed photoscape( i read in a previous thread this was good enough for the job and i cant afford photoshop lol) so if there are any fellow users of this programme that can shed some light it would be a great help.

Second question is i have a family meal on sunday for a golden wedding anniversary and my relatives would like me to take a few snaps of the whole family as i am just getting started in photography i feel i am not quite there yet but would like to give it a go, any setting suggestions iso exposure times ect?, I really want a good photo of the whole family and dont want to let the team down.

Any suggestions welcome and thanks in advance!

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
1 - it's a watermark. Never personally heard of that program, so no idea, but other programs IIRC it puts the watermark on when you export, or something. Go into the program > help > watermark and see if that's any good ? If not, I'm sure someone else will be along to help !

2 - Don't go messing about adjusting exposure times if you're not a pro. Infact I can't imagine even the pro's would be setting shutter speed for a situation like that ?

I would be putting the camera (what camera have you got?!) into aperture priority mode and make that as low as you can. You want a focal length somewhere between 25 and 40mm so not to get too much distortion around the edge, but also still wide enough to get the family in.

If that doesn't make any sense, just whack it into auto mode, make sure there's nothing distracting in the background, like clocks on peoples heads haha!, and go crazy.

Candid shots are much nicer and more natural than group shots IMO so I would be aiming for more of those, but obviously mums etc always like the 'traditional' group shot, so don't miss that one.

Good luck !!

BMW Z4
Thanks that helps a bit lol, i have a nikon d3100 basic 18-55mm lens, Anyone else with any other suggestions?? :)

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Hope someone else comes to your rescue soon ;)

This is a nice candid family photo picked randomly on flickr:

4903605786_fa4e5fa8f7_z.jpg

CLG_1249 by kiwinky, on Flickr

The candid shot has a nice depth of field (DoF) thanks to the f1.8 lens. It's not too staged and it's framed and composed nicely IMO! You won't get shots exactly like that with your kit lens, but I'd highly recommend buying an f1.8 nikon lens, which should be <£100. It'll give you cracking shots once you learn how to use it, and also make you think about your pictures too as you can't zoom in to save the shot !

This next one is what I was talking about earlier again randomly plucked from flickr. This picture is probably 100 times better than the one the lady is taking in the shot haha !

2743330993_eb5f28d643_z.jpg

family portrait by DanielDutch, on Flickr