ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Turbo / Supercharged Clio or an Evo 8!??

BG 182 & 225 T
Everyone has a dream, right?

i currently have a Clio 182 and I love it but I have always wanted an evo 8 and like everyone else, I've thought about putting a turbo on or even a supercharger!

end of the day it's still a Clio and then there's an evo!

Probably down to your own opinion but what would you go for and why?

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
The Clio will lose you more money upfront, but the Evo will cost much more over time, if you were happy to turbo the Clio and keep it for 5 years plus, then that's what I'd do, but if you think you'll fancy a change in a year then go for the Evo.

From what I hear, a low boost Clio is pretty much a perfect all round car. Full Fat models have most modern niceties, they handle well, great fun, and you can get about 230bhp out making them more than quick enough, and it'll still be cheap to run.

If you buy someone else's turbo'd clio, then you're on to a winner.

There's a charm about a turbo Clio, although it's not a proper sleeper as such, it'll still be good fun when you can keep up with much more expensive/known to be quick cars, whereas when you have an Evo, everyone knows it's quick.

BG 182 & 225 T
The Clio will lose you more money upfront, but the Evo will cost much more over time, if you were happy to turbo the Clio and keep it for 5 years plus, then that's what I'd do, but if you think you'll fancy a change in a year then go for the Evo.

From what I hear, a low boost Clio is pretty much a perfect all round car. Full Fat models have most modern niceties, they handle well, great fun, and you can get about 230bhp out making them more than quick enough, and it'll still be cheap to run.

If you buy someone else's turbo'd clio, then you're on to a winner.

There's a charm about a turbo Clio, although it's not a proper sleeper as such, it'll still be good fun when you can keep up with much more expensive/known to be quick cars, whereas when you have an Evo, everyone knows it's quick.

thats a valid point mate aye!

A good evo 8 is about 9k and to turbo a Clio is about 3k plus what I already paid for mine too. I've had mines a year and a half, it's a great car and I love it! But always fancied an evo and at the same time always wanted the Clio faster and like you say a sleeper/surprise to other cars!

Chi

Z4, VW172, R26
Sometimes you just got to scratch ur itch mate.
Turbo clio is ok but it's not an evo and I think you will still want an evo.

late 2003 172cup
You want to be looked at, evo. If you want some fun do the Clio :)

If you go evo it's got to have 350bhp or more to be fun.

JezzaMac

ClioSport Club Member
I was in the same position as you before I turbo'd mine. I decided I couldn't afford to buy and run an Evo at the time so turbo'd the Clio instead. I don't regret it at all, it is a lot of fun!

I will get an Evo in the next couple of years! Like Chi said, the itch has to be scratched!

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
If you have driven a good EVO 8 you won't need much time to make your choice ;)

BG 182 & 225 T
See everyone has valid points in this dilemma!! An evo is a big step up from a clio, but I know how fun and much love I have for my Clio so not sure if I could even part with it for an evo although I've wanted one for about 5 years!

I was in the same position as you before I turbo'd mine. I decided I couldn't afford to buy and run an Evo at the time so turbo'd the Clio instead. I don't regret it at all, it is a lot of fun!

I will get an Evo in the next couple of years! Like Chi said, the itch has to be scratched!

Evo heid.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I like doing lots of trackdays. I could afford less on the same budget in an Evo than my turbo Clio.

PH2 RS172
its just down to how much time and effort you have. the last big job i did was fit a 24v 325 m50 block into my old e30. that was fun and a reasonably easy job as conversions go but i couldnt be bothered doing it again. id rather go with the evo although my 172 is plenty fast enough for me

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
Well I went from a Clio 182 to a Impreza STI PPP which should be almost comparable to an Evo 8, cost me £7k and was running 320bhp... it was lovely!

But, a year later I was back in a Clio 182. As others have said it's definitely an itch to scratch, but it wasn't worth keeping long term, just too damn expensive to run for what it was. I personally have more 'fun' in the Clio :)

It's more me, I'd say overall I don't regret owning the Impreza but it did cost me a few thousand in just 12 months.

late 2003 172cup
Just a note, bloke I got my car off, he had evo 8, and other evo's, he built my car to track and said it was the best car he raced on track, more fun than evo. Not only was it fast but it could do fast round bends too. He has now bought him self another Clio cup to track.
I had a 172 cup and loved it, came from Astra turbo, I sold cup and bought stage 3 Astra turbo, when i was selling Clio, I remember it was sat for month, took Lewis Taylor ( had white itb ph1?) and I was shocked it still felt quick. Always wanted a trophy and now I have turbo and trophy. I got to say it prob the fastest car I will ever own. I will sell one day but I right now it's not going anywhere!
dypadevy.jpg

9e4y9uba.jpg

You might love the evo, but you will be back lol

late 2003 172cup
Before I sold my cup I was looking into the same ideas as you, after I had sold Clio and bought astra, although I liked my Astra, I still wished I had done my Clio. Just search you tube for videos. I like the supercharged video where he pulls up slip road road with scooby and undertakes it. It shifted. Loved watching chips track video too.

106GTI / NovaC20LET
No point having a evo tbh you need silly bhp to make them fun! No thrills in a standard/lightly modded one. Plus the service intervals are every 3k and fuel consumption is about 20/25mpg when been kind. I may one day own one or maybe a scooby but that will be when/if I have 2 kids and a wife lol.

No point having a evo tbh you need silly bhp to make them fun! No thrills in a standard/lightly modded one. Plus the service intervals are every 3k and fuel consumption is about 20/25mpg when been kind. I may one day own one or maybe a scooby but that will be when/if I have 2 kids and a wife lol.

Agree on power when standard, intervals are 4500 unless it's a ten (10k) fuel consumption will be very low 20s unless it's a ten (late 20s), but the most important thing is evo tax, bits are so expensive for them, modding a clio is cheap as chips in comparison, I have two, £60k into the X and they're never finished, proper money pits!

Evo 8 & 182
Well i went from a Evo 6 to a turbo'd 182 (low comp k-tec) had the clio for 3 weeks then sold it and got a 600 bhp evo 8. I have since had 2 more Evo's and looking for another. I had a F1 197 before the Evo 6 and that was better than the 182. Test drive a Evo and im sure the clio would be up forsale that same day. I would go for a Evo 6 personally :).

2002 clio 172
I'd probably go for the evo. But seeing the look on someone's face when you annihilate them in a "little Clio"... I'm sure that'd be fun.

Ph1
Evo's are one of those cars i think many need to own just to get out of their system, usually for a few months before either getting banned, crashing it or not being able to afford to run it.

Only worth turbo-ing a Clio if your really into Clio's or / and plan to keep it for long time.