ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Turbo gone.. i think?

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
Driving at around 70mph and a strange sound, then the car felt atrange. It sounds like a hairdryer when I put my foot down. Its still driving but doesnt have the power. Engine also sounds louder as if theres an aftermarket exhaust on it.

Any ideas anyone?

Worst part is I was driving home from filling a full tank up lol.

New2RS

ClioSport Club Member
I'm no mechanic but it sounds a bit like the exhaust manifold is damaged mate. Plenty of lads with good knowledge on here so you should have an answer soon.

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
Hmmm. No idea how to tell tbh.the turbo looks like its covered in oil, but im not sure if its always been like that

Clio 182
Unlikely to be turbo as you would most likely have lots of smoke out the exhaust or hear a grinding kind of noise

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Any flashing EML? Sounds like it went into limp mode, and my clio sounded like a hairdryer when misfiring.
I've no experience with boosted cars though.

Last edited:
  renault clio 1.4 16v
do a boost test... you will easily be able to locate the leak... if there is one otherwise take the inlet pipe off the turbo and see how much play there is in the core, a little up and down movement is ok and i mean a little, but there should be no axial movement

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
Egr stuck or knackered ? Check if the plastic pipe has come off turbo
This is whats happened! Just in the middle of doing it now. Or trying to lol...

Theres a small pipe part too which was still on the turbo. Any ideas? Like a plastic ring.

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
IMG_8181.JPG

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
IMG_8182.JPG

Would also love to lnow how this will come off!? Tried hitting with a hammer to free it off but it wont move

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
Managed to get the egr valve out as i thought it would be wise to see if it needed a clean. I ended up doing this while trying!!

I have put it all back together and tightened it up as the main park kees it all inplace, but will it cause any issues or should it be fine?

Just went out and its running like normal again.
IMG_8184.JPG

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Broken part not ideal but should be ok with 2 bolts until you get a replacement. Refitting the plastic boost hose is a pain the rubber bung is mega tight.

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
Broken part not ideal but should be ok with 2 bolts until you get a replacement. Refitting the plastic boost hose is a pain the rubber bung is mega tight.

Could it cause any issues? It seems to be fine and where it has broke away doesnt seem to affect the main part of it. Any idea if i can get that as a replacement or would i need a full new unit?

Yes the hose was a bit difficult but went on easier when i attached the top piece first. Why would it of popped off in the firat place? Im worried it might happen again now.

Just realised... Redcar Brigsy?

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Yes sir thats me thought i recognised the name! Been a member for a while just started posting. You will need the inner half of the egr get one from the scrapyard for nowt - engine is shared with lots of other models. Yours looks pretty knackered now should work but not ideal with the lugs missing.

Nip the hose clip up tight on the plastic pipe should be ok make sure the jubilee clip is not catching the actuator rod. Also check the rubber has not popped into the pipe or you will have a boost leak. s**t design i was chewing on with mine for ages when i changed turbo