ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Turbo for 172

I rang BB last week and the guy told me there is now a turbo conversion for the 16v and williams has anybody got this conversion? worth it? as they say there will be one out for the 172 next year ish when warranty start to run out, having notised a flat spot on my mk2 172 mainly in second from 2000rpm to 3500rpm anyone else got this? I think the 172 is a sorted car but a turbo would probably bring it the torque it deserves.

pete.

Elise/VX220/R26

Ive noticed it can sometimes be a little slow to get going unless you keep the revs above about 4000 but wouldnt call it a flat spot. If you have a flat spot theres something wrong with your ingition somewhere.

Turbo conversion would be cool but would probably cost about 4 grand, I personally dont think it worth the money. Try £800 for a fully fitted NOS kit, that more like it :)

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

mmMMMm turbo 172.. bring it on..

turbo = dump valve.. *burns voice* excellent..

2005 Audi A3 3.2 Quattro

Theres a mk1 172 in SA with a garret turbo and 50bhp nos

runs sub 12 second 1/4 mile

Dont ask me for details as I was told this from toolmantim

Nissan R35 GT-R

Really though a 172 with a turbo will be virtually undrivable in my opinion. Look at the Focus RS - Boost is limited in first and second gears because its FWD. Theres only so much torque you can put through it.

I know that there are a few 16v turbos about - whats the traction like in them?

i think the issue with the focus is the completely toss torque biasing diff that pulls you all over the road, this is more likely the reason the boost is limited in 1st and second, to stop you getting pulled with the camber of the road off into a kerb or ditch

Thanks for the responce, I agree that in first gear things could go silly, I had a go of a punto turbo and realy loved the feeling of the boost coming in apart from that the car was naff, hopefuly someone with a conversion will reply...

Nissan R35 GT-R

I think the warranty issue is an important one. How many people will shell out £16,000 and invalidate their warranty? I know I wouldnt.

Shame Captain Slarty isnt still around - he was well underway with his 172 turbo project.

EK9 + Mfactory gearing..

fek the warranty, if u got the money for a turbo conversion when it comes around u aint gona worry about it i think...based on a bb conversion for the 1.8 its prob gona cost the same eh? bring it on. Rotrex r currently working on a smaller supercharger, as the regular ones r too big for the 172 engine bay...

cuz after the 80s where every model had a turbo version things moved on. Cars were made to be safer and more economical, the list goes on. You get the idea.