ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Turbo Conversion Reliability?

306 gti6, Clio 182
It's booked to have the 230bhp kit from engine dynamics on the 12th. Because it's low boost i'm hoping it's still reliable enough to drive as a daily to work which is only a 10 mile round trip.
I only say 'hoping' because I was fairly certain it would be until I read this thread. lol.
I had low boost kit from ED picked it up last Saturday it's just ace, love driving it even after 3 + hours drive home still went out for a drive. is your a 172 cup? If so were you there last Saturday?

RB Clio 182
I had low boost kit from ED picked it up last Saturday it's just ace, love driving it even after 3 + hours drive home still went out for a drive. is your a 172 cup? If so were you there last Saturday?

Wish I would have gone for that tbh.

How long did the conversion take?

cjgower

ClioSport Club Member
Glad you're enjoying it mate. Yes mine is a 172 Cup and yes I was. Was it you picking up the silver 182? Looked like a nice car. Does it go just as well as their demo car? If so I'll be more than pleased

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
The low boost clio will also be a lot faster.
How much faster are we talking?

I still have moments when I think a low boost clio would be a giggle but then I get in the Megane and remember how solid it feels...

Lol @chip. I remember that conrod all too vividly. Although I will admit it still went well even though the rod had a chicane in it.

On the other hand that was a case of "it's getting forged this year anyway, let's see how much boost it can take" and all of these cars in here that have had issues, are all running low(ish) boost, 0.8-1.2 bar. Chips was running 2.0 bar of boost, and saw more track time than any of them on here.

Many.
I'm not going to say never had an issue with ED ones, but very minor and they've been sorted! As said, all the issues have been ironed out over the years and even ones that have been done years are still perfectly fine.

@meekings14 just had his done, uses it daily, was done within a week and is over the moon with it lol.

I wouldn't be put off, Infact I'm not lol. Lots of the issues in this thread are people pushing them much further than the low boost conversions do, Low boost is ideal in a Clio IMO, Perfect for the Chassis, its still a proper giggle, but isn't completely f**king mental that you can't use it

-Simon

ClioSport Club Member
  172-E92 M3-ZT V8
Want something turbo charged reliable and relatively quick buy the R26. Want something that is an absolute riot to drive but fragile and more costly in the long run get your Clio boosted. I am keeping mine forever so don't mind it too much when it goes wrong which it does but I went in with my eyes open. When it works it's laugh out loud fun but it does frustrate when things like the fecking turbo nuts continue to rattle loose etc. If it was my daily I'd have parked it in a field and set fire to it by now but it's my toy and I love it!!!

306 gti6, Clio 182
Glad you're enjoying it mate. Yes mine is a 172 Cup and yes I was. Was it you picking up the silver 182? Looked like a nice car. Does it go just as well as their demo car? If so I'll be more than pleased
Yeah that was me, goes very well indeed! I don't think there's any point in going for the high boost kit I almost did but so glad I didn't, any more power is just a waste/not needed in a road car as you just can't put it down!

Dooby

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
Only issues I've had is manifold studs coming loose , recommend k nuts. Although don't have to worry about that anymore :wink:
Screenshot_2015-12-09-10-38-50.png

Dooby

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
Yeah that was me, goes very well indeed! I don't think there's any point in going for the high boost kit I almost did but so glad I didn't, any more power is just a waste/not needed in a road car as you just can't put it down!
Rubbish .. I was running 1.4 bar on GT28RS.
With decent tires in dry conditions no problems at all with power delivery 2nd onwards.

306 gti6, Clio 182
Rubbish .. I was running 1.4 bar on GT28RS.[/U]
With decent tires in dry conditions no problems at all with power delivery 2nd onwards.

yeah because its dry! if damp/wet is just a waste. well most of the time it is
[/URL]

Mk1 1.8 16V Turbo
It's booked to have the 230bhp kit from engine dynamics on the 12th. Because it's low boost i'm hoping it's still reliable enough to drive as a daily to work which is only a 10 mile round trip.
I only say 'hoping' because I was fairly certain it would be until I read this thread. lol.

You wont go wrong with ED, they have been turbo charging renaults for years and know there stuff

turbo 182
yeah because its dry! if damp/wet is just a waste. well most of the time it is[/URL]
Wrong, I have over 300 but with a diff and in the wet it will spin in 2nd after 5k but just gentle on the right foot and into 3rd and your away

ADS_V6

ClioSport Club Member
  Seat Leon
What's it like too drive Hatto,regret not doing stage1 on mine,instead pissed the money into the wind.

306 gti6, Clio 182
Power delivery/diff.
Power delivery/diff.[/QUOTE
Thats a good point, I looked at the dyno graphs for the ED 230 & 280 kit the low boost one dose make it all lower down in the rev range plus it's standard comp so it drives just like did before but with more if that makes sense? No lag at all
I think a diff would be good but there really expensive! Don't think I will bother with one as it's just a road car

306 gti6, Clio 182
What's it like too drive Hatto,regret not doing stage1 on mine,instead pissed the money into the wind.
It's good mate, like I said I feel anymore is just a waste on the road! (Oh s**t forgot shouldn't say that as your not aloud to have an opinion on CS) just wish I did it in the first place and saved money

ADS_V6

ClioSport Club Member
  Seat Leon
It's good mate, like I said I feel anymore is just a waste on the road! (Oh s**t forgot shouldn't say that as your not aloud to have an opinion on CS) just wish I did it in the first place and saved money
Thanks please keep thread updated on the conversion,might look into it soon

306 gti6, Clio 182
I don't see how I'm missing your point? Your saying anymore than low boost is a waste for lack of traction.
Well IMO it is unless your fitting a diff, but can't really see much point in that for the road
If its track car then yeah high boost
If it's road car low boost, save a bit of money and just enjoy it

I've have big turbo, hi boost cars before and there's just little point for the road
I think the maddest yet is my old starlet gt turbo, I had a td04 turbo setup running 274bhp didn't do much until about 4000rpm as it was only a 1.3 quite laggy but when it came on boost was just mega 274bhp and 860 kg but kept braking so just stripped for bits and sold in the end

-Simon

ClioSport Club Member
  172-E92 M3-ZT V8
If a high boost car is mapped properly putting the power down should be fine if you modulate your right foot accordingly. Damp conditions render traction issues in many cars, my 5 series diesel will flicker the dtc light if I mash the throttle when it's damp/wet. A diff definitely helps, along with properly sorted suspension but I personally wouldn't be put off getting more power.

turbo 182
Well IMO it is unless your fitting a diff, but can't really see much point in that for the road
If its track car then yeah high boost
If it's road car low boost, save a bit of money and just enjoy it

I've have big turbo, hi boost cars before and there's just little point for the road
I think the maddest yet is my old starlet gt turbo, I had a td04 turbo setup running 274bhp didn't do much until about 4000rpm as it was only a 1.3 quite laggy but when it came on boost was just mega 274bhp and 860 kg but kept braking so just stripped for bits and sold in the end
Yea I see your point but still even a high boost clio without a diff will have decent traction, it's all about how you drive them, if your foot flat 1st - 2nd - 3rd youl have wheel in the wet, if your smooth on the power in 2nd youl be away a lot faster as no wheel spinning, how many times are you in 2nd gear on a road? Only during town driving and tbh why would you be foot flat in 2nd? The thing with high boost Clio's is that there is so much torque you could be cruising at 60mph in 5th or 6th plant your right foot and you'd be pulling away quicker than most cars on the road there is just no lag and very little weight to haul about.

306 gti6, Clio 182
If somebody dose have high boost clio near me, I'd love a blast in one see how it copes with the power, mite change my mind and go high boost in the future myself

RB Clio 182
If somebody dose have high boost clio near me, I'd love a blast in one see how it copes with the power, mite change my mind and go high boost in the future myself

Ive got a medium boost 182 and tbh the traction in a straight line is just as good as a standard car, its the tight twistys where you have to be careful on the throttle as I dont have a diff.

306 gti6, Clio 182
What clutches can anyone recommend? As mine dose slip now if giving it the beans in 5th
Was thinking paddle plate with standard cover, anyone done this?

Ph1
I had repeated reliability issues after simply getting a cam conversion plus other bits and bobs by the top tuner of the day years ago.
If you don't get initial problems after modding a car I would say you are very lucky. What counts is further down the line when talking about reliability.