ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Tuning box for Clio RS 4

Clio RS 4 & R35 GTR
We just purchased a Clio RS 4. While it's a fun car I find it sorely lacking in torque, more so in the upper rev range. So I set about hunting down a remap for it. With it being brand new, a tuning box seemed the way to go so it could be easily removed to go in for servicing and warranty issues.

The only one I can find is by a company called TCM Motorsport. I did a search on here for TCM Motorsport and it returned no results. Had anybody got any experience of these boxes? They're pretty pricey at £400 so don't want to buy a dud!

Also if anybody else knows of a better solution please let me know.

Thanks in advance for any advice :)

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
Not clio related, but the TMC tuning boxes are highly rated in the Fiat/Abarth world. If you google about them being fitted to the 500 abarth or Grande punto abarth you will see a lot of excellent reviews on them.

Can't see them being any worse on the new clio.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Sadly based on what you are saying about wanting more at the top of the rev range I think you will be dissapointed even once proper remaps become widely available, the turbo just isnt big enough to do a lot at the top end, so even a proper remap is going to give far bigger gains in mid range than top end, which if anything will exaggerate the behaviors you already dislike.

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
Is it run in yet?

Markcup posted the other day about how his fiesta ST feels much more lively high in the revs now than when he bought it. Maybe a similar case for the clio.

Clio RS 4 & R35 GTR
Sadly based on what you are saying about wanting more at the top of the rev range I think you will be dissapointed even once proper remaps become widely available, the turbo just isnt big enough to do a lot at the top end, so even a proper remap is going to give far bigger gains in mid range than top end, which if anything will exaggerate the behaviors you already dislike.

Beefing up the midrange is good enough, I just think it needs more oomph. I understand it's probably only got a teeny turbo so top end will suffer, the joys of getting low down power with a turbo on a small engine will usually mean the turbo can't do much top end, just how it works :)

All I've found is stuff about Fiats, like mentioned by Lal B3N if it's good on them, chances are it's been built as well rfor the Clio and its' been out a good few months now so hopefully they've had time to build on it and improve it to a point that will impress.

Clio RS 4 & R35 GTR
I think you'll find anything is lacking in torque compared to an R35 GTR!

Lol yes the GTR has a little bit of poke, especially after the tweaking it's had ;)

Is it run in yet?

Markcup posted the other day about how his fiesta ST feels much more lively high in the revs now than when he bought it. Maybe a similar case for the clio.

Yes it's got a few thousand on it so it should be run in, I think I'm just expecting to much of a 1.6. I'm just used to petrol turbos having matching bhp and torque, so having 200bhp with only 170ft/lb just seems like it should have a lot more to give with a bit of fettling :)

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
On the bright side, you can make your new clio sound like a GTR through the speakers lol ;)

Clio RS 4 & R35 GTR
I went out in the demo at work the other day. They're unbelievably quick!

Yes even standard they're silly quick. Problem is that UK roads just aren't designed for them, they're to quick to enjoy, you ding feel like you're pushing it till you're breaking the law! Hence the Clio RS :)

We went in the GTR to the black mountains run here in Brecon with all the clio boys, we were so impressed watching them zipping about, ok in a straight line they got no chance against a GTR, but give them some tight winding bends and they're right at home.

So a few week later and we also have this

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Big difference between whats the fastest and what is the most fun while staying the "losing your license rather than losing your liberty" zone.

A lot of the very quick modern stuff is a victim of its own success on the roads, you just cant use it properly.

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
Is it run in yet?

Yeah my 200 has just recently hit 15k & it's noticably free'er through the range.

Clio RS 4 & R35 GTR
Big difference between whats the fastest and what is the most fun while staying the "losing your license rather than losing your liberty" zone.

A lot of the very quick modern stuff is a victim of its own success on the roads, you just cant use it properly.

So true! The roads aren't wide enough and it gets to well over 100mph in so few seconds that it just can't be "fun" any more. Hoping the Clio will be good rfor that sort of thing and GTR can be more for other stuff....of which I haven't quite worked out what yet lol.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
So true! The roads aren't wide enough and it gets to well over 100mph in so few seconds that it just can't be "fun" any more. Hoping the Clio will be good rfor that sort of thing and GTR can be more for other stuff....of which I haven't quite worked out what yet lol.

Yeah Ive had similar issues with very quick cars in the past, you end up with a mile long stretch of straight road in front of you, and assuming you want to keep into the realms of just getting a hell of a telling off and losing your license by wanting to say not go over about 130mph, you end up only accelerating for the first quarter of a mile then you just cruise along the rest at part throttle, where as in a slower car you can keep it pinned all the way along which is more fun essentially despite taking ten times as long to get to the same speed.

Clio RS 4 & R35 GTR
2litre mate

I should think they're very different machines. The 1.6turbo seems to have torque from very low down up to about 4.5/5k where as I bet the 2litre doesn't start getting max torque till about 4.5k? So the 2litre loves being high in the revs while the 1.6 runs out of puff up that high