ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Trophys Went Bang (Gutted)

MarcB

ClioSport Club Member
  Too Many
I actually want to cry as i type this.

Just dropped the other half off for a night and driving rather gently coming home i come off a round about and hear a loud "BANG", I instantly pull over thinking it was a tyre but no no no, It was the engine.
I moved like flash gordon to get the key out the ignition and and stop the engine and then made a couple of phone calls.

My mate who lives 5mins away from where the car died came and towed me down to his house, He has worked for renault and now is a VW tech and he thinks it could be a couple of things.

He popped the oil cap off and asked me to turn the key and the cam was moving so the belt is still on but he says that it might have jumped a tooth or 2, It could be bent valves as its dropped a cylinder or 2, It sounds like a 1940s War Plane.

After spending as close to £4k in the last few months i really just want to cry and think i would be happier if someone actually stole the car as its got an agreed value on it.

PH2 Flamer
Bad luck chap, I would also be close to tears if it happened to me. From what I see you posting, you really do love your car too.

Hope you get it sorted soon.

George@RTR_Parts

ClioSport Trader
  need BRAKES? PM me
Bloody hell Marc :dapprove:

As George says I'd get engine sorted/replaced as its tidy as. Chin up mate!

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Checked to make sure it's not popped a plug out? Number 3 is a weak point for some bizarre reason. Clutching at straws maybe but worth the check.

MarcB

ClioSport Club Member
  Too Many
Im going to head back to the car and check that just now john.

The garage would have had to remove the plugs to do the cam cover and also seal it surly ?

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I'll put money on the fact it's spat a plug out. It makes a hell of a noise when it does and sounds dreadful once running.

MarcB

ClioSport Club Member
  Too Many
Problem Found And Thank you to the CS FBI straight thinking team i have found the cause of a blown spark plug.

The ONLY thing thats not been changed by the garage is the one and only part thats blew its tit$ out which was the plug.

As soon as i popped my engine cover off my mate seen the HT lead all smashed. We have taken the plug out and have a good look at the piston and we can not see any markings or damage however the threads on the head are totally f**ked and messed up.

IMG_5254.gif

IMG_5258.gif

IMG_5259.gif

MarcB

ClioSport Club Member
  Too Many
That was lucky that it stayed in 1 piece tbh.

Have you tried running a plug down the thread and seeing if it will take?

John as soon as i heard it i have never switched something off so quickly !!!

Yeah as i have 4 new plugs but no joy what so ever. The garage have said its fixable or i could go down the route of a new / used head.
I said im not doing anything till i can arrange getting the car through there to stirling and if its going to cost £££ i might even strip the car and break it

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Na you're just being rash cos its fucked up today. Been there a million times, thankfully never sold it in a bad mood yet!

A helicoil is quite a common fix and if done right is strong enough for you to never know. Unusual to be that one that goes but just the luck of the draw I guess.

100% fixable and afaik shouldn't be a fortune (although I never pay labour so could be well out of touch)

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Turn the car over with no plug in it, that will blow any swarf out. (Tbh it doesn't look like there would be any in there)

Buy a set of GENUINE plugs and leads and re fit, torquing up the plugs as you go. Chances are you'll be fine. I've had this on 3 clios now.

Stop being silly with this chat of breaking the car.

1.7 cdti
Mine went on no 3 and i got it heli-coiled for £20 . not the perfect solution but maybe an option

MarcB

ClioSport Club Member
  Too Many
3 Months + £4K = Now asking myself is it worth it ?

It was
NGK-R PFR6E-10's that where in the car with genuine HT leads replaced about 2 years ago.

If the garage can sort it within a price i can afford then it will all be genuine renault parts like i always do

You might be able to just screw it back in. If not it's a timesert job

Garage have said this is what they are going to do. Im unsure of this as i have never heard of it and i dont want any rubbish going into the piston.​

Clio Cup
Ive had Head Drilled and Helicoiled by engineering firms before and they have given me no trouble there on inwards.

Usually Siezed Zetec Ford ones but none have caused any trouble , dont do anything rash

MarcB

ClioSport Club Member
  Too Many
I'm asking myself the same question.. £5,000 in parts plus the car just up and left.

Glad it was nothing serious mate! Bet your relieved!

Its gutting for me but it must be like someone has ripped your soul out!

£4K is just for the labour of the work, Its another £3K+ on parts.

MarcB

ClioSport Club Member
  Too Many
I'll give you 2k for it tonight, stop it being such a hassle for you ;)

Hows about i give you 12p to get matches and you put it up in flames and i get the agreed value on it :p

As i say im doing nothing and not making any decisions until tomorrow once i have spoken to the garage and then to find out what the price of the repair is going to be as i want it done correctly if done at all

MarcB

ClioSport Club Member
  Too Many
This Timesert thing is exactly what the garage have said they are going to possibly do

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Bit silly with getting rid chat. You've build the car back up with a nut and bolt restoration, you're not going to sell because of a spark plug!

Coincidentally a car did on me, most horrendous noise ever in a car! Seriously it sounded like the engine was eating itself!

Get it fixed, I can't see it being a big job unless they're at it.