ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Trophy TLC

182 Trophy (#27/500)
Hi all,

Am interested in lowering the Trophy. Ive heard all of the bad stuff about dampers needing to be rebuilt and stuff like that but as far as i can see they are quite temprimental anyway.

Was thinking of custom Faulkner's for the front Sachs dampers and some Bilstein springs and dampers for the rear. Have seen some lowered 10mm on cliotrophy.co.uk but i was thinking more like 30mm. I am really just looking to reduce body roll and increase aesthetics a little.

All thoughts welcome but please dont turn this into a Trophy slagging fest:mad:

182 Trophy (#27/500)
Have seen that and no it doesn't which is why im quietly confident about lowering it. Has been sound from new.

Golf GTD Mk7
:eek: removing the sach dampers. que the trophy boys!! I'd keep the dampers considering one is worth more than a set of bilstein coilovers. Change the springs maybe, but the dampers are some of the best around. Ask over on www.cliotrophy.co.uk about what they suggest.

182 Trophy (#27/500)
I never said anything about getting rid of the sach!!! i simply want to change the springs to lower and firm the ride

Custom Faulkner's are just springs

Golf GTD Mk7
I never said anything about getting rid of the sach!!! i simply want to change the springs to lower and firm the ride

Custom Faulkner's are just springs

Ah right, my mistake. 30mm would be the max for me. too low and the dampers will be less effective.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Speak to Mark Fish, IIRC he makes custom springs and supplies adjustable Koni's for the rear, meant to be very good. Still think you're barmy, reducing the suspension travel on a car that lacks it already, but your car.

A ANIMAL
I have toyed with the idea as well. I'm not sure if the dampers would survive the extra strain? let me know what you come up with, i'd be interested to know

182 Trophy (#27/500)
Speak to Mark Fish, IIRC he makes custom springs and supplies adjustable Koni's for the rear, meant to be very good. Still think you're barmy, reducing the suspension travel on a car that lacks it already, but your car.

I know what your saying but thats the trade off for less body roll.

Have been on track with it a couple of times and it just doesnt feel as stiff as my 172 with H&R's did. Plus the pictures taken of it on track also proved this!!lol

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
I know what your saying but thats the trade off for less body roll.

Have been on track with it a couple of times and it just doesnt feel as stiff as my 172 with H&R's did. Plus the pictures taken of it on track also proved this!!lol

That surprises me tbh. i thought the trophy would be a lot stiffer then a H&R'd 172/82.

Clio 182 Trophy
Mark Fish is the guy to talk to. He can sort you out with a custom set, just tell him exactly what your after. I dont think you could get away with lowering the car too much on these dampers witout it having an adverse affect on handling? 30mm is dropping the car quite a bit into the damper stroke. short springs are best matched with shorter stroke dampers.

If this was a good idea dont you think most Trophys would be lowered by now ??

182 Trophy (#27/500)
Fair point or maybe people are scared of destroying something thats already very good.

Cue

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy #274
Fair point or maybe people are scared of destroying something that's already very good.

no, everything's been considered and discussed. George K over on CT works in motorsport - he's a knowledge base when it comes to stuff like this.

Lowering it wouldn't necessarily reduce roll, it'll have to be done in combination with revalving the dampers (as the rates will change) plus by reducing roll you could promote under steer and have adverse effects on braking... Speak to a pro - Mark Fish he'll give you his thoughts, if you choose to follow his advice or not is up to you.

182 Trophy (#27/500)
Appreciate all the comments. This was the sort of feedback i expected. Ive spoken to Mark Fish a couple of times in the past and he even gave me advise about buying the trophy so i know what a sound guy he is. Ill give him a buzz sometime next week, in the mean time its save save save!!