ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Tramlining/following cambers etc

Thought I'd try taking the Clio down my favourite road today and was shocked to find it was probably slower than in my Twingo RS or even my old 1.4 106!

The car seemed to want to torque steer everywhere and follow all the cambers and ruts etc which was not nice if im honest and it felt like the light steering got heavier as I went faster.

Checked the pas fluid and its full almost to the brim. Would that have any effect?

Its a completely standard 172 sport with ditch finder jinyu tyres.

RB Clio 182
It will be the tyres, you will notice s**t tyres more on a more powerful car.

I can walk quicker than i can run on ice, same sort of thing.

MG ZR x2, Polo, CTR
^^ dependant on the roads.

I find I have the same issue on a few roads round here that suffer from heavy traffic and lots of trucks.
@snowey172 does yours do it along the A2 aswell?

Its annoying as the car came with these fresh tyres but they are so crap its unreal. I sort of want to just wear them out well thats what the financial part of my brain is saying. The common sense side says get some rainsport 3's for the winter.

MG ZR x2, Polo, CTR
Ahh, I've got T1-R Proxes all round atm, sometimes on the stretch between Sitt / Fav it feels like it's got a mind of its own lol

I found proxes 4 are good in the dry but not great for the winter. I used to have them on my saxo as the 4's had stiffer sidewalls than the t1r's

That's them t1-r not bad in the dry but the p zero was a much better tyre in wet and dry. It just doesn't seem as planted with the t1-r. My car does hunt on that stretch of road to but my tracking is slightly off which doesn't help

MG ZR x2, Polo, CTR
I was on a budget and had to replace 2 of them, but enough of a budget to avoid some proper ditch finders.

If you want an awful tyre, try a 'Camac'

I read a review on them that suggested even going out in the rain and turning the key in the ignition was taking you life into your hands.

Yeah T1r's are a good compromise. LOL yeah I would actively encourage anyone NOT to buy Jinyu's as all I have experienced is massive understeer absolutely everywhere! I know it doesnt help its that time of year where the roads are permenantly damp and have "leaf crap" all over them too!

I had a set of kumho kh31's on my Twingo once and I replaced them a week later even though I was broke at the time. Same for a set of ebay brake discs. I learnt my lesson then to buy the best or at least close to it.

Before you change the tyre just get your tracking checked. Not saying don't ditch the ditch finders but if your tracking is off it could make things even worse

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
I know where you're coming from regarding the financial part of the tyre thing. I've got two newish budgets on the front of mine but I'm awaiting delivery of some decent tyres. The way I see it is, we spend so much on fuel, tax, mot, general running of the car why waste it all on s**t tyres if we can't use the car to its full potential. To me that doesn't make sense anymore so I've decided to upgrade to some decent rubber. Man maths at its best.

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
Camber on the road used make my car move about a lot when I had a track rod end gone. Jack the front up and see if you have any play in the wheels.

Tracking is a good shout also worth checking.