ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Tracking problem

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Sup boys,

So recently I hit a rock in the road (was having a play with an SQ5 so didn't see it until it was too late) which flattened a bit of the lip on one of my Ph1 alloys. The tyre held it's pressure but then I was driving in a straight line.

Here is the alloy in question:

YUW52Mb.png

daPRDd1.png

I got out and made sure the tyre still had pressure, which it did and the car drove absolutely fine afterward. I happened to be on the way to see Mike @ Rentech who said I might want to get the wheel looked at.

Took the car to Kwikfit the next week (was the only place that could fit me in before my trackday at Brands) to get new PS3s fitted to the car.
They called me after I left to sell me a wheel alignment, I said sure - it's never a bad thing.

Collected the car and noticed the wheel was on the piss, pointing left by about 15 degrees when driving straight.

Drove to Brands like that and then dipped out of the sighting laps at 8am to goto Kwikfit in Dartford and have it redone, they showed me the before/after figures were massively different.

I've had it like that for a couple of weeks now and it's largely okay, but the wheel still wasn't dead centre when driving straight so figured I'd take advantage of Kwikfit's 28 day guarantee, just took it back there to the original place this morning. Watched the lad do it, watched him line the steering wheel up and it was pointing straight, he adjusted the toe, commenting that the right wheel (the one that hit the rock) was out.

I took it for a drive, now the wheel is pointing to the right by an equally large measure (probably 1 o'clock when driving straight).

I've left it with them and the manager was suggesting they point the wheel left when aligning it, so that it drives straight... Frankly this concerns me and I'm probably going to ask for a refund regardless of what the car is like when I collect it.

I'm ready for them to turn round and blame it on my suspension components (I naively told them I hit the rock in the road). But the point is, before I took it there the car drove straight, and since taking it back each time - they always seem to think it's been out by a large margin.

My guess would have been they're doing something wrong, at the start of a hunter alignment they need to input ride height measurements, which I can only assume affect the calculations that the computer does to tell you where to point the wheels when making adjustments - he did not enter even numbers for both sides, but then it's not a race car that's been corner weighted so I imagine it's perfectly reasonable that left and right have a slight difference in ride height.

Is it really that hard to make a car point in the same direction as the steering wheel, and more relevantly - is it possible there's something damaged in my suspension components that would make it difficult to align the car?

BMW M4; S1000 RR
The more I think about it, the more I think it's that they're just being incompetent.. The place in Dartford had it almost fine - I could have lived with it the way they'd left it.

Just spoken to them (they've had it at their place since 10am and after they close at 5pm is the first time they've looked at it, I was livid). He said they've done it again and it's still not centre, and that the guy that drove the car says it pulls under braking. It 100% does (did) not.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Hopefully what is the last update now.

Just been to collect the car, the manager was super apologetic - I wasn't rude but I had had enough a few days ago TBH. Anyway, he told me that "this doesn't happen" (putting the car on the ramp, setting the Toe, rolling it off and straight back on only for the readings to be out again).

At this point I just asked for my money back (going to follow that up tomorrow) and take it somewhere else, he wanted me to bring the car in this week for his chief technician to have a look at it incase there's anything wrong with a part.

Anyway, I go out to the car, expecting to have an angry drive home, what do you know - the steering is dead center and feels fine. All I can put it down to is 100% user error since they were blaming both sides (i.e. each time they measured it, both sides of the car were out) - my thinking is that if it were related to hitting the rock then it would be unique to the drivers side and that I'd have noticed some funny handling behaviour.

Lesson of the story, never go to Kwik fit in Hove for anything other than tyres.