ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Trackday tyres Substitutes

Westy. MX5
As my AO48's are just about at the end of their life and new ones required soon ( They are expensive) are Parada tyres going to be a decent substitute considerering they are about £47 each?

The amount of grip you get compared to the AO48's will be rather noticable to say the least. There is no real substitute for a semi slick, the grip they provide is far greater than your average road tyre.

However I have used spec 2's on track and thought they were quite good, especially for the money. They aren't too clever in the wet, but in the dry they are good. The soft sidewall lets them down a little, but it does give you progressive levels of grip. They also wear fairly evenly once hot, and will do a lot better than a Toyo T1R for instance.

I would definately give them another go if I couldn't afford the R888's that I run.

Hope this helps.

182 cup
Agree the Paradas will not as good but on a light car like the Clio they should be OK.

The V70 from Kumho is a very good semi slick and cheaper than the 048.
The AD08 (yoko) is also good.

As cheeper options

The RS2 from Hankook works well (at around £85 a corner) as does the
595rsr from Federal

Clio Sport Mk1
Hi,

Be careful with the Parada's, especially in 195/50/15. I've tested them on my 172 mk1, for trackdays in december. They are very good for the first laps, but as soon as they start to heat up, the sides become very soft and you loose lot of grip on front wheels. These could be much better if the sides were stronger. Maybe in other sizes like 205/40/16 these are excellent, but in 195/50/15 I would not recommend these for trackdays.

I've tried the Federal SS 595-RSR and I've been very happy with these, even under rain. Sides are stronger. For the price, I strongly recommend these. Never tested R888 or A048 that should be even better, but too expensive for me.

Cheers.

Michael.

I had them in 195/50/15 and found them fine, certainly no major heating issues.

As said though, I have heard good things regarding the Kumho. I have a friend who uses the AD08's on his Type R and loves them.

I am using Pilot Exalto 2's on the Clio at the moment and they were great around Snetterton.

Westy. MX5

I only use the Trackday wheels and tyres on dry tracks and when wet have the road wheels on with Toyo T1r's. The car will possibly be going at the end of the year so hence the cheap alternative. I know the soft sidewall issue on tracks with cheaper tyres but I get on with ok. Thanks for your cheap alteravives I'll be giving one of those brands a go.​

clio 182
i use Hankook RS2's on track just now.

They are very good on track and i would say right in the middle of 888 perfomance levels and general road tire performance levels. 100% rate them better than Prada spec 2's. For example i have done about 35-40 laps of Knockhill on them and they are hardly marked!

Also, i got mine delivered to my door for £220 for 4, thats in 195/50/15. I think i got them from Camskill but if i remember correctly!

Westy. MX5
i use Hankook RS2's on track just now.

They are very good on track and i would say right in the middle of 888 perfomance levels and general road tire performance levels. 100% rate them better than Prada spec 2's. For example i have done about 35-40 laps of Knockhill on them and they are hardly marked!

Also, i got mine delivered to my door for £220 for 4, thats in 195/50/15. I think i got them from Camskill but if i remember correctly!

Thats a good price, I'll see if they are still available.