ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Track suspension

172 cup, Impreza P1
I'm looking for a good quality coilover that will turn my cup track car into track weapon. I like the look of KW variant 2's or some AST's but new they are too expensive for me.

Would Bilstein B14's be a good compromise or would I need to change at a later date?

Do you really need need all the adjustments that you have on the KW/AST's for a good track day car or do you end up setting them up and leaving them set that way for good?

Any thoughts?

KWs get a good rep on here. ASTs not so, mainly because people drove them whilst they weren't set up properly.

I was in the same situation as you, as AST are down the road from me I went with them. As you say, they aren't cheap, but my god the car handles epicly (new word). Everyone who's been in my car on track has said so straight away. I got Curtis to set everything up to the exact spec I wanted, then corner weighted etc.

Tbh, I'm not too bothered about the adjust ability. My ASTs are adjustable, but I just find a good compromise and leave it at that, occasionally changing it. As long as you get them set up properly in the first place you should be ok.

I haven't had much experience with other suspension set-ups, so I can't compare.

172 cup, Impreza P1
I know what you mean. I've also got an impreza p1 and the ast stuff gets a good write up for imprezas.

I probably wouldn't bother with constantly adjusting it but if that is what is need to get the perfect set up once then it would be good to know.

The bilsteins are at a very reasonable price from Kam Racing just now but can't make my mind up.

bilsteins are a good option , kam racing are doing them for £709 i think which is a very good price , i was going to have a set but they dont do them for the 182 fitment , IMO i would go for the bilsteins as they are cheap'ish compared to others and always get good ratings about them ,

172 cup, Impreza P1
I am thinking the bilsteins just now but has anyone used them on track before as that is what the car will be used for 99% of the time.

If anyone has and can give me an idea of how they rate it would be appreciated.

Ideally you need to be taken out in a car with whatever suspension you're interested in.

If you ever sway towards ASTs I would offer, but you're a tad far away ;)

172 ph1
Most of the coilover kits come with springs which aren't actually stiff enough for semi slicks, such as the KW V2 kit that I use. So ideally you'd go for something like ASTs with the harder springs option. If you're on a budget then perhaps simply changing the springs to something harder with one of the kits will do. That's something which I'll probably do with my KW kit in the future.

Bilstein B14s are probably the best you can get in its price range.

If you'll be running road tires on track then I'm sure the Bilstein or KW V1 would be fine for track use.

I am thinking the bilsteins just now but has anyone used them on track before as that is what the car will be used for 99% of the time.

If anyone has and can give me an idea of how they rate it would be appreciated.

bilstein test all there kits on the nurburg ring , if thats not track enough i dont know what is ;) , trust me for the money you will struggle to find anything better , the bilsteins are usually between £800-£900 , kam racing have a very good deal on them , just a shame i have a cup pack 182 as i really had my heart set on them

172 cup, Impreza P1
Most of the coilover kits come with springs which aren't actually stiff enough for semi slicks, such as the KW V2 kit that I use. So ideally you'd go for something like ASTs with the harder springs option. If you're on a budget then perhaps simply changing the springs to something harder with one of the kits will do. That's something which I'll probably do with my KW kit in the future.

Bilstein B14s are probably the best you can get in its price range.

If you'll be running road tires on track then I'm sure the Bilstein or KW V1 would be fine for track use.

I will be running toyo r888's and Yokohama advan a048's if it's in the dry and exalto PE2's in the wet.

172 cup, Impreza P1
bilstein test all there kits on the nurburg ring , if thats not track enough i dont know what is ;) , trust me for the money you will struggle to find anything better , the bilsteins are usually between £800-£900 , kam racing have a very good deal on them , just a shame i have a cup pack 182 as i really had my heart set on them

It is a great price. I was a bit unsure why they were so cheap but most other places have them for £100 more.

I'll do a bit more research then make my decision but thanks for all the input!

172 Ph1, Lupo GTI
It is a great price. I was a bit unsure why they were so cheap but most other places have them for £100 more.

I'll do a bit more research then make my decision but thanks for all the input!

I am happy to charge £100 more if you like :D

Golf GTD Mk7
I am happy to charge £100 more if you like :D

LOL

I will be running toyo r888's and Yokohama advan a048's if it's in the dry and exalto PE2's in the wet.

Toyos in the wet mate tbh. They're just as good as PE2's unless it's running a river on track. End of the pit straight at Oulton does this :S Scary!

Go for either KW or AST if you want well made stuff. Out of the box, like Dan mentioned, KW are supposed to be better than AST, but if you have the AST setup correctly then they'll be ace (they aren't as crashy as some people say). Albeit costly as you'll need to respec the off shelf stuff. If zee germans ever sort Freds cup fitment V2's out that's where my money will be going, mainly because you pay less and still get very well made stuff. I've seen pics of bilsteins all rusted up, which you wouldn't really want when you're splashing 4 figures on suspension.

E46 M3
^ This. I took an instructor out at Cadwell on Sunday for 5 laps (free :cool:) I made about 3 seconds a lap just showing me where I could be braver and I wasn't going slowly to begin with.

The instructor also agreed with Dave that Clios are too easy to drive on 888's.

Golf GTD Mk7
^ This. I took an instructor out at Cadwell on Sunday for 5 laps (free :cool:) I made about 3 seconds a lap just showing me where I could be braver and I wasn't going slowly to begin with.

The instructor also agreed with Dave that Clios are too easy to drive on 888's.

Too easy to drive? They grip better yeah, but I wouldn't say easier really.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Too easy to drive? They grip better yeah, but I wouldn't say easier really.

Course its easier.

More grip = less slip = less need to correct
Unless of course, you are going soo fast (in a clio) than you are experiencing not enough grip from R888's.

I'm going to try mine next month, but i reckon it'll just be to prove a point & ill go back to T1R's afterwards.

Golf GTD Mk7
easier probably isn't the best way to describe it then. Better setup to the conditions really. Plus on a track road tryes are gash. Drove the 200 cup round oulton and it wasn't as grippy as I expected.

Golf GTD Mk7
Fare enough. Easy a few seconds per lap with 888s. Miles more capable. Can't wait for a really hot do to see how they fare.

Williams 3
The difference between 888s and T1Rs on my Williams was massive.

That's running the standard 15 year old suspension aswell. Coilovers are next on the list!

Can't wait 'til it's running decent coilovers and the 888s.

Road tyres quickly become the weak link on trackdays.

lift number 1 @ btm
Personally I really don't like 888's they just feel numb and they weigh a ton!
I'd have t1r's first every day and that's just for the feel, never mind the price.

The only time I have cut slicks now is if some proper tarmac tyres come up on ebay for a decent price.

TrackCar & F30 330d
I love semi cut slicks. Been able to go round a corner much faster is great. That's why I how have full on race slicks for this years trackdays.

lift number 1 @ btm
Yeah, proper ones are awesome. Loads of grip and you can still feel what's going on.

Any spare slicks going Chrispy? ;)

172 Cup
I did a track day training course here in Ireland on Mondello park and started to lose grip from the standard tyres on the correct racing lines, so I'll be in track tyres for the summer on track. Clio was the fastest car of the day.