ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Track day spare parts

Trackslag172

ClioSport Club Member
  03 Clio 172
I have just started to build a clio 172 track car, and so far i've had no problems.
What spare parts would the more experienced of you advise to take just in case?

cheers
tim

Ph1 track slag
Driveshafts, pads, exhaust rubbers, engine mounts. Just things that I've needed while been at a track day

Trackslag172

ClioSport Club Member
  03 Clio 172
I will defiantly take a spare set of pads, I wouldn't have thought drive shafts were on the standard list of spares people carry lol

Dave LM

ClioSport Club Member
  PH1 172
I have just kept hold of parts that I have replaced as I have gone along, coil pack, HT leads, plugs, a set of injectors and a fuel rail that I am having as a swap over item should I need it. I also have a thermostat, crank sensor, extra wheel bolts and a clutch cable.

If I swapped parts as a preventative measure, like the stuff above, I just hang onto it and keep it together for trackdays. Other parts that I take are fluids (and funnel), spare pads and various tools, I find you can never have enough cable ties either.

When I started doing trackdays a few years back I would take a jack and a handful of tools, and I have just added bits as you realise what you might need, and won't cost a fortune to buy and carry as a spare.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Driveshafts at trackdays lol, wouldn't even have crossed my mind.

Spare oil
Tyre gauge
Foot pump
Socket set
Torque wrench
Jack
Towing eye
Brake fluid

There the basics and be fine unless you have a pit crew

As above spare leads etc too if you have them.

Interesting thread & no doubt there will be a range of responses.

It's very easy to be scared into letting things snowball. OK if you have a trailer, less OK if you have to lug all this crap out of the boot and put it somewhere.

Take the driveshaft example. It's useless unless you also take a breaker bar, gearbox oil, a funnel, some tube, a mallet, 300nm torque wrench & arguably string/stands/ruler/bars to do the alignment again lol. Snowballed.

Also important to limit yourself to what you can realistically fix in the timeframe & facilities.

Last edited:

Trackslag172

ClioSport Club Member
  03 Clio 172
Cheers for all the replys, boot space is not a problem, see picture below. But my mechanical ability and time constraints will be. HT leads, coil pack, clutch cable etc are things I can do, but fuel rails, starter motors etc are out of my knowledge. I am learning as I build the car, but for now my list of spare will be short.

IMG_3553.jpg

photoupload

What about suspension/steering. are there any common failures there that are worth preparing for?

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
I really wouldn't worry about bloody starter motors and all that stuff. Out of the list I made I hardly use any of it.

Trackslag172

ClioSport Club Member
  03 Clio 172
On the day...where do you keep all that stuff?
Not sure yet, only done track racing at nurburg, doing my first uk track day in nearly 10 years in the next couple of months. I assume you just leave it with your mrs in the pits :tongueclosed:

I really wouldn't worry about bloody starter motors and all that stuff. Out of the list I made I hardly use any of it.

Can you share your list?

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Not sure yet, only done track racing at nurburg, doing my first uk track day in nearly 10 years in the next couple of months. I assume you just leave it with your mrs in the pits :tongueclosed:

Can you share your list?

Pretty much as above in my post mate

Civic FN2 Track Car
I've done quite a few track days now and always seem to take the same bits.

Spair front and rear pads - just oem cheap ones to get me home if needs be
1 litre of engine oil
1 litre of brake fluid
Track wheels (pro race 1.2s with r888)
Trolley jack
Foot pump
Tyre pressure gauge
Small collapsible table
Kettle
Extension lead
Tea bags - very important
UHT milk - for the tea
Small assortment of tools (torque wrench, swan neck spanners, screw drivers, socket set, impact driver)
Lots of zip ties and gaffer tape
Pair of axel stands

In my opinion there's no point in taking too much in terms of spares like drive shafts and track rods ends and gear boxes.

If you break something that serious track side would you really be wanting to bodge a repair together or call a recovery truck.

If I was out racing most weekends it would be a different story but for track days I just take enough to tighten anything that may come loose, some zip ties and tape if any body work needs sticking back on and a kettle to keep my hydrated

Ph1 track slag
Only reason I mentioned it was I've seen a few people do driveshafts in on trackdays @Fraser.J. I've done one myself and also did one on my previous track car. Cuts your day short either way but where do you draw the line with spares? Just take a spare Clio. Job done!

Trackslag172

ClioSport Club Member
  03 Clio 172
Coil pack, leads and other basic bits I can do myself but injectors and brakes I've never done, so I will probably be asking for help from others in the pits lol

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
if it's anything bigger than that it's the end of the day
Liar. I witnessed you wanting to change Craig's clutch in the paddock at knockhill on my first track day! 😂😂

I don't take much to track days, just the essentials really. A jack, breaker bar, torque wrench, few sockets and spanners. Without a van or other car to take the spares in it just seems more hassle than it's worth lugging loads of bits with you just in case. I do have breakdown cover though.

Clio 182
I take my rac card and some basic tools and brake fluid.
Anything more serious and I won't be fixing it with a audience anyway.

Liar. I witnessed you wanting to change Craig's clutch in the paddock at knockhill on my first track day! 😂😂

I don't take much to track days, just the essentials really. A jack, breaker bar, torque wrench, few sockets and spanners. Without a van or other car to take the spares in it just seems more hassle than it's worth lugging loads of bits with you just in case. I do have breakdown cover though.

Ye but I'm mental [emoji6]

If it happened early enough in the day I would do a clutch change. If in say the first hour, like his did! Would still be a good 7 hours left!

Teg DC5 & Ph2 172
Most of the stuffs been covered here I see! useful post.
I wouldn't overlook Driveshafts, my civic snapped two :/

M.C..

ClioSport Club Member
Just wondering to all those who take driveshafts do you take gearbox oil and a means of filling the box back up if the passenger side shaft needs changing?
I just take basics
trolley jack
spare wheels
spanners and small socket set
pliers
screwdrivers
loads of cable ties
tape, insulation and gaffer
tyre compressor
torque wrench
small impact driver
spare wheel studs and nuts
fuel
oil and brake fluid
glass cleaner
spare front pads
If I needed anything else I would just ask around chances are someone will have what you need.