ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Track day essentials

Clio 172 ph2
Right looking to do my first track day at knockhill on the 28th of oct, as it will be the first time i have ever took a car on track really just looking for things that i should have to check and things that i should have before i go :grin:.

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
The basics really:
Tyres have plenty of tread left
Discs all round are ok and pads have plenty on
Coolant level ok with no leaks
Oil level ok, no leaks.

Torque wrench or wheel brace to check wheel nuts after every session.
I have a small toolbox with spanners, sockets, zip ties etc JUST in case. It's items you'll accumulate over a period of time.

Drivers licence, crash helmet or you can hire one on the day.

Go out and enjoy, I'm sure others will add to the list.

Clio 172 ph2
The basics really:
Tyres have plenty of tread left
Discs all round are ok and pads have plenty on
Coolant level ok with no leaks
Oil level ok, no leaks.

Torque wrench or wheel brace to check wheel nuts after every session.
I have a small toolbox with spanners, sockets, zip ties etc JUST in case. It's items you'll accumulate over a period of time.

Drivers licence, crash helmet or you can hire one on the day.

Go out and enjoy, I'm sure others will add to the list.
Ideal not really mechanical minded but the basics shouldn't he hard. What about brake fluid should i change it or standard stuff ok?

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
Ideal not really mechanical minded but the basics shouldn't he hard. What about brake fluid should i change it or standard stuff ok?
1st question I ask myself is how long since the last change. On my 200 EDC Renault recommend every 4 years, that obviously doesn't take into consideration variables such as trackdays etc. If trackdays become a regular occurrence you could say refresh fluid after every couple, even after every trackday. It's all peace of mind, can't put a price on safety etc, other will quote different timescales. BUT, if you've owned the car and don't know when it was last done ( documented history) I'd have it done now.

And I will say as mines been done today, Renault are doing a deal on a brake fluid change including brake fluid for £40... IMO well worth the money.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
If it's your first TD, just make sure your tyres are healthy (and not Chinese), you've got enough meat on your brake pads, no leaks etc. Then go find the limits of your car for the next one. Tyres and brakes make all the difference.

Clio 172 ph2
Right so just had the car up on the ramp in work here checked the tyres all 4 mil all round. back brakes need new dics and pads. Also there's a small leak coming from i think under neath but will put pics up see what yous think.

Attachments

• IMG_1290.JPG
    IMG_1290.JPG
    254.9 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_1286.JPG
    IMG_1286.JPG
    312.6 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_1285.JPG
    IMG_1285.JPG
    331.3 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_1284.JPG
    IMG_1284.JPG
    493.8 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_1283.JPG
    IMG_1283.JPG
    360.7 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_1292.JPG
    IMG_1292.JPG
    364.5 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_1293.JPG
    IMG_1293.JPG
    496.1 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_1291.JPG
    IMG_1291.JPG
    318 KB · Views: 85

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
To be fair, just take a healthy car if it’s your first day.

I’d recommend a tyre gauge and inflator, run around 28psi hot. So come in with the tyres nice and hot and let air out until they settle at 28psi.

Someone there will have a torque wrench and will lend it to you. Don’t torque the wheels up as soon as you come in when the wheels are hot. Let them cool down properly first.

You can rent helmets but it’s not a bad idea to buy your own if you’re going to keep doing track days.

Maybe a jerry can of fuel because track prices are expensive (assuming knockhill has fuel)

As said, a socket set/general tools wouldn’t hurt, but not a necessity.

The less you take the better. Because once you start taking loads of tools/wheels/spare parts etc etc, it becomes a chore.

-Jamie-

ClioSport Club Member
No Fuel at KH, Couple of options for fuel along the road either way which is also handy for cooling the car down en route.

Always plenty people around with various tools etc. I tend to just take the basics these days, IE Buzz gun, Torque wrench, socket set. If i need anything more than that then chances are its a fairly big problem that isn't going to be fixed there.

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
If you're needing new rear discs and pads @George@RTR_Parts is your man. Only buy genuine rear discs and pads, other makes have inferior quality bearings. Also make sure you have the rear spacer washers behind the discs. Std rear pads will be just fine too.

Water, for you not the car. It's surprising how much you should drink and dehydration leads to lapses of concentration and the obvious results. The one thing to leave behind is your big balls :grinning: Just go for your first day with your eyes open and ready to have some fun near the limits.

I think everyone else above has covered the car essentials, it's a great way to spend a day and chew through some fuel!

Al

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Also, don’t drive in your rear mirror.

If you’re watching the cars behind you, you’ll c**k up.

Focus on the corner then move over as soon as you can to let faster cars past.