ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Track car

Renault Sport clio 172
I've got a ph1 clio that i picked up as a shed for a bargain.

I've just done a track day a Cadwell park (yesterday) and really enjoyed it. Now the bug has bitten me i want to try and improve the car a bit for the next track day.

The car is completely standard apart from stripping out the rear seats, cooksport springs and a set of harnesses.
What do i look at next to improve the handling of the car? I am not looking at spending a fortune as this is only a hobby so am trying to do things in stages.

Tyres?
Brakes?
Suspension?
Strut brace?

Not sure if this is in the correct section so if it isn't could someone move it to the correct one please.

I'd leave the brakes for now (assuming they're relatively new and you're not cooking them) and go for 172 Cup shocks and a Whiteline ARB if you're wanting to do it cheap. Then I'd look at tyres once the suspension is sorted and next up the brakes.

Renault Sport clio 172
I'd leave the brakes for now (assuming they're relatively new and you're not cooking them) and go for 172 Cup shocks and a Whiteline ARB if you're wanting to do it cheap. Then I'd look at tyres once the suspension is sorted and next up the brakes.
Thanks for the comments. Are the shocks a straight swap for the standard ones on a ph1?

Might pop in some new rear pads as they were a bit down already.

I've heard the ARB is pretty good so think that will be on the list.

Yeah 172 Cup dampers are a straight swap for your on a Ph1 and cheap at about £45 per corner. If there's issues with the brakes then push them up the list of priorities. Tyres do make a huge difference as well.

Actually I should add that the Cup 172 dampers are different to your current ones for the front but the rears are the same on both versions. If you want to go for better rears you need 182 Cup rears (182 Cup fronts don't fit your car though).

Renault Sport clio 172
Actually I should add that the Cup 172 dampers are different to your current ones for the front but the rears are the same on both versions. If you want to go for better rears you need 182 Cup rears (182 Cup fronts don't fit your car though).

So 172 cup front struts - straight fit
182 cup rear struts - straight fit

Sorted

Think i will have a look and see what i can find. Thanks for the help.

Clio 172 & BMW 335D
@Jcalver
Did you have a look around my clio yesteray?
I don't use mine on the road at all but mine is done on the cheap I got everything either off her or straight of ebay.
Second hand Gaz Coilovers - £190 cleaned them up never had a problem.
Rear ARB like @tomhunt85 said I personally think is a must but some people disagree about £100-£120.
Leave the brakes as long as you wernt cooking them every 2 mins yesterday?
My engine is totally standard but one think I found made a massive difference is solid engine mounts, now these are a little more expensive but I think he'll massively - £160 I paid second hand.
But yeah all I can say is just have a look on here and ebay see what you can get cheaper. :)

Renault Sport clio 172
Thank you @Josh i'll start having a look.
I've got a birthday coming up so might be able to get a few items from that.

Is an exhaust system worth looking at? @Josh @tomhunt85 ? I'm not too interested in it for a noise reason more if it is going to be worth the return for the money.

Clio 172 & BMW 335D
Yeah not a massive difference but it will free up all the crap that is in the standard one, could try and pick up a 182 manifold then full system but you can get in the queue behind me for one of them haha @Jcalver