ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Toyo T1R Soft Side Wall

Clio 197 R27 Albi
Sence I've had these fitted Ive found the side walls are quite soft and the car seems to float/roll about alot more now than it used to with my £30 cheap tyres. The tyres grip well but they dont feel stable.

I think Im going to buy some Mitchelin PE'2. Are the side walls harder on these? Ive heard good reviews about the tyres in genral.

Also.... The 4 Toyo's are forsale now. 205/45/16s. Ive done about 50 Miles on them. Pm if anyones interested. Will post in forsale section soon.

Last edited:
  53 Clio's & counting
Also give them a bit of time to wear in, I find G/year F1's are soft for the first 100 miles or so then they get great

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
Ive got 195 40's and know what you mean, mune are even smaller think i should of at least got 205's

Paddy_g46

ClioSport Club Member
T1r's do have soft side walls as i found out. But I find they have great grip in the dry, put a bit more pressure in them and see what you think about 100 miles

S23

The Cleee-O
My T1R's seem really planted on mine, can't say I've ever had any shifting with them on. :S. Mine are stretched though, don't think that should have anything to do with it though?

Clio 172
Do PE2's have stronger side walls? anyone tryed & tested?
Have PE2's on the front of my new clio, and they're a class and a half above t1r's. Stiffer sidewalls, better grip, and harder wearing. Done a hard trackday on mine and they still easily have another one in them.

alien green rs133
pzero nero pirrelli's have lump stiffer sidewall. half way between t1-r and pe2's price wise and i find them excellent. and i have tried most of them

hancock stillto try.

i found the toyo's vague and floaty :(

DCi 100
Didn't like mine at all when I first got them and rear end kept on going out in the wet. Now they're 1-1.5k miles in they've got better.

Westy. MX5
Brand new T1r's have deep treads, you can move the treadblocks with your fingers as they are quiet soft, thats why you think the sidewalls are soft. They come to their best when 2/3rd's worn so need lots scrubbing in, then the handling comes back. If you are not patient and wait for this to happen then you will have to buy some other tyre but at a higher price. The T1r's are cheap for what they are, a good all rounder, instant results, No.

2003 clio 172
ive got pe2's
you have to try very hard just to get tire squeal let alone a slide, they give really tight handling
cant fault them other than the price
never tried the toyos but the are a bit marmite it seems
conti sports get good reviews tough
a friend of mine loves his toyos but he has a 4wd scooby so bit irrelevant!!

More poke than viagr
Soft tyre walls means good for stretching ;)

I found them good tyres, better than last ones

Ph2 172
Old thread bump but i have some - 195-45-15's on at the moment fronts are as new

There seems to be alot of movement even when not driving e.g. pushing the car side to the side, the tyres always look de inflated

Im using 34psi in them, is this normal?

Yanoo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio Williams
I've found the same, T1R's side wall is too soft, independetly of mileage. Now I'm running on 32 PSI at front and 29 PSI at rear but it's still too rubbish especially during hard braking. I feel like the wishbone bushes would be worn or snapped, but they are in perfect condition. The lower the tyre pressure, the higher this awkward feeling. At higher pressure the side wall can't distort so much but in this case the tyre noticeably drops the grip.