ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Toyo R1-R

Qashcow
The above tyre, available from demon tweaks at £77 each, no stock at camskill as Toyota plant is in Sendai.

My question to you lovely folk, has anyone used them? Both on road and track. Not fussed about winter driving but I refuse to spend out £100+ per tyre when I will be eating them at the rate I currently am

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Recaro_182 (chris) has them on his ph1, so might be worth a pm.

As far as i am aware, they are very similar compound to R888, but with more tread, so when it heats up (which it does fairly quickly being so soft), the tread moves around a wee bit.

I looked into these a bit when I had to decide. They seem to have a lot of good reviews from various places.

A lot of people use them in the Tin Tops series too Dave.

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
Great tyres in all weathers, softish thou, but best tyres for the money IMO

172 Race Car
I looked into these a bit when I had to decide. They seem to have a lot of good reviews from various places.

A lot of people use them in the Tin Tops series too Dave.
Ian Collins was running them on his black clio at Mallory and Snetterton. did ok there

BMW M6 & 172 Phase 1
Like Dave mentioned, I have run them on road and 2 track days over the last 4 months or so. I've found them very good, however I haven't driven 888's for comparison, but once warmed up they seem far better than a harder compound road equivlient.

They are soft, they get hot and the tread does move around a fair bit but there is loads of grip in the dry and very predictable. Not driven them hard in the wet as the car doesn't get driven that much.

The only downside I can see over 888's is that the sidewalls don't seem to be anywhere near as stiff so they do roll around a little. However they are much cheaper :)

Qashcow
Yep I appriciate they wont be as dedicated as 888's but then for a set of four they're about £180 extra too, which is another trackday. Tbf, the last few trackdays I've done have been on Proxes4's which are good enough for £30 lol.

well that black Clio in the tintops wasn't hanging around so seems like these are the answer.

Jay, rs2's were my first choice but theyre being discontinued :(

Prada's fall apart with 100bhp less, won't be using those ;)

Jap Shed
lol at comparing paradas with R1rs!!

R1r is a different class, tread is massive when new though, need 1k on them before a trackday.

BMW M6 & 172 Phase 1
lol at comparing paradas with R1rs!!

R1r is a different class, tread is massive when new though, need 1k on them before a trackday.

Completely agree with this. On my first track day at brands, they had only done about 200 miles, the tread was too deep and too soft, felt the car moving around underneath me when tyres were hot. Second track day at Donny after about 1000 miles was far better.

Clio II 1.4 16V
Completely agree with this. On my first track day at brands, they had only done about 200 miles, the tread was too deep and too soft, felt the car moving around underneath me when tyres were hot. Second track day at Donny after about 1000 miles was far better.
I agree. Same thing with Federal 595 RS-R. Both tyres are good - when new - full tread, but are even better when they are half worn.

Megane Trophy Stg 2
We use R1R's on our track **** 182. they do seem to work very well indeed. Don't wear too quickly either. used to have parada spec 2's on my tb'd 106. they were also good. nice medium between sticky on the road, and lasting 10,000 miles.

Qashcow
i can put 1000 miles use on them in a few minutes easily enough :D park it against a wall and nail it.

* I wouldnt really do this

182cup & 172 racecar

This I can confirm.

Clio 182
As stated very grippy tyres but also very soft, I have 2 on the front and 2 pilots on the back... The 2 on the front and pretty much bald after 3 months, the pilots still have about 5mm and they are over a year old!

Qashcow
rear tyres will hardly wear compared to fronts ^

ha, think matt will suggest my car is powerful enough as it is....

64cf9f2c.gif

Jap Shed

Really good then eh?!

VW T4 van, 172 cup
I run these on my 172 track car. use them as wets and the R888 as dry tires. I love these in the wet, bags of grip. the wear rate in the wet is good too :) cant comment how good they are in the dry though

260% JCW
The above tyre, available from demon tweaks at £77 each, no stock at camskill as Toyota plant is in Sendai.

My question to you lovely folk, has anyone used them? Both on road and track. Not fussed about winter driving but I refuse to spend out £100+ per tyre when I will be eating them at the rate I currently am

Last year they were the same price as the R888's

Qashcow
I won't be paying r888 prices and not really after something like them really, they were too much for road use even though it will be occasional.

Always had a soft spot for Toyo tyres, will be happy with an inbetween choice :)