ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Towbar for a bike rack (yes I am going to get abuse for this!)

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
I have done some searching about and I cannot fit a towbar due to no quoted towing weight for my 172. But I am looking at getting a tow bar bike rack to take my MTB around as I hate boot mounted ones and I don't want anything on the roof and taking it apart each time I want to go anywhere is annoying plus saves wear on the (lack of) interior.

If it is just a bike rack does this count as "towing" as it isn't a trailer. I did see on here that it can be done but as long as it is a bike rack and not a trailer (I don't have a trailer license anyway), is this true?

And yes I am waiting for the abuse of "no, don't do it, looks silly" lol :tongueclosed:

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
Oh and the next question if the answer is "yes", what is the best bar to fit and is it easier / more sensible to get one professionally fitted, or are they simple to fit?

Mate has fitted one to his 182 and had no problems
I think I saw you that said this on my search earlier. Do you know what tow bar it is by any chance? Just so I can have a look at fittings online

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
What's the issue with roof mounted ? My Thule kit is superb and had two bikes on the roof at Autobahn speed with no issues.

https://flic.kr/p/odQnRZ

You can't fit a towbar legally to a 172.
I don't even think it's possible if you negate the law..

Yeah I have seen yours on the MTB thread. I have been tempted, just don't like the idea of it really. But I may have to if it is the only way of transporting a bike on the exterior. It's just me being picky reall, risk of dropping it down the side damaging the car really.

Is it illegal to tow or fit a tow bar is what I am after? As a bike rack isn't towing.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
You make an interesting point... But tow bars look awful IMO and really out of place on a 172 haha.
I'd be more worried about putting handlebars through the rear window on the boot lid with a towball one. Also you're covering lights and plates... Its all a major hassle I wouldn't want.

Bikes on the roof.. It all locks. Boot still opens. Mud is on the outside. It's all just win.

Grab bike from forks and rear end somewhere.. You'll work it out. Unless you're a complete spoon you'll never go near the car with it. You can hold it up and walk away if you're a complete spanner ;)

Look out for low tunnels and keep it under 130 and you'll be fine.

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
You make an interesting point... But tow bars look awful IMO and really out of place on a 172 haha.
I'd be more worried about putting handlebars through the rear window on the boot lid with a towball one. Also you're covering lights and plates... Its all a major hassle I wouldn't want.

Bikes on the roof.. It all locks. Boot still opens. Mud is on the outside. It's all just win.

Grab bike from forks and rear end somewhere.. You'll work it out. Unless you're a complete spoon you'll never go near the car with it. You can hold it up and walk away if you're a complete spanner :wink:

Look out for low tunnels and keep it under 130 and you'll be fine.

Yes, I agree they can look gash. But need some functionality with my car!
hmmm....I think i will look more into roof racks. If I get one and start using it my opinion will change. I've used tow bar ones before on a friend's car and my step dad's VW T5 has one, and I think they are good.
How much roughly for a good roof rack and carrier? +£100's??? or less?

clio 182 black /gold
As said, I would go upwards.
100_0632.jpg

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Err think I paid £180 for the bars for the Clio but already had the bike holders. These are the top Thule ones.. They're about £90 each normally but I think Ford do them for about £60..

You can buy the cheaper ones but I'm a tart and love the ali ones !

Pauleds

ClioSport Club Member
  Merc Dueliner sport
Towbar mounted Thule Eurocarrier, 3 bikes behind the car, no crap on the roof, tilts to still get in the boot, locks to car, bikes lock to carrier, no drop in mpg from drag, no crap on hands or roof from lifting dirty bikes. Bike rack removes in seconds.
Can't knock bikes off the roof when you forget about a car park barrier!! It's been done plenty of times!
Towbar mounted for me every day

ph1 19 16v, ph1 172
I recently fitted a towbar to my ph1 172 for a bike rack. Easy to fit, took me about an hour and a half, plus wiring, another hour or so.
Bought it from PF Jones, £100 all in. I got the Bosal one but there are other make available, all 'much of a muchness'

There is also one from a Polish manufacturer well known on the continent, called 'Auto-Hak' which has a plug in swan neck so it's less noticeable, if you're bothered.

tow-bar-renault-clio-1409.gif

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
I recently fitted a towbar to my ph1 172 for a bike rack. Easy to fit, took me about an hour and a half, plus wiring, another hour or so.
Bought it from PF Jones, £100 all in. I got the Bosal one but there are other make available, all 'much of a muchness'

That does look quite tidy tbh. Then just fit the bike rack to that? Presume it is simple fitting? Remove the rear bumper and bolts onto the subframe? Then somehow magic the electric together? (They are not my favourite thing to do!)

ph1 19 16v, ph1 172
The swan neck bit plugs in, the the bike rack mounts to that like any other. I decided not to go for this type because I felt that if there was any small amount of play in the interface, the bike rack would wobble all over the place. Wouldn't be an issue for a trailer as it has wheels on the ground obviously.

The bosal one I didn't have to remove the rear bumper or even jack the car up. The others are basically all the same. They all mount to the same points on the shell. Then drilled a hole in one of the plastic bungs in the spare wheel well and wired up the loom. Comes with a rudimentary wiring diagram to include the indicator beeper.

ph1 19 16v, ph1 172
One other thing to note about a towbar mounted carrier on a clio is that the towbar is rated to a noseweight of 75Kg.

You need to bear in mind that this means 75Kg load straight down on the towball. A bike rack cantilevered off it is a very different prospect though and in effect you are creating a large moment arm around the mounting points so be very careful how much weight you load the rack up with.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
2 different types of bike holder. I bought one nice new one for myself and borrowed another off my uncle.

Unfortunately my mates bike didn't fit the old one so I ended up using that afterall.