ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Torque settings for rear wheel bearing replecement

Clio 172
Hi,

Could anyone confirm the correct torque for a few bolts that need tightening following the replcement of a rear wheel bearing? The car is a Phase 2 172, and is completely standard.

I've read that the central nut that holds the disc onto the stub axle should be 175Nm. Is this right?

What should I torque up the 2x 17mm bolts that hold the caliper to the carrier?

And the 2x 18mm bolts that hold the carrier to the hub? I found out after loosening these that they don't need undoing when replacing the bearing, but it's too late now :)

And finally, do I need to pack the replacement bearing with grease? It's an SKF bearing that I bought from Euro Car Parts. It looks like a sealed bearing but I'm not sure.

Any help would be very much appreciated!

Thanks

Rich

340i
175Nm for the nut on the stub axle.

The rest of the bolts can just be tighten sensibly by hand.

Clio 172
Thanks - does anyone have any torque values from experience of doing this?

I'd guess at something like 80Nm for the 17mm and 18mm bolts - does that sound reasonable?

Rich

Clio 172
Thanks for the replies - I went with the torques I suggested anyway, seeing as I had the tool to hand and I like to be thorough :)

So far so good - everything seems to be bolted on still :p

Rich

Mk4 Mondeo Estate
Possibly could of over tightened them. Personally would of done them up by hand and just give it an extra quarter of a turn.