ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Tools required for fitting coilovers

Looking for 182
Hi all,

Sorry for posting another tools thread, but I've checked the two guides within the guides section (http://www.cliosport.net/forum/show...ilovers-Guide-(H-amp-R-s)&highlight=coilovers and http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?541476-Fitting-v-maxx-coilovers-Guide) and they seem to both reference different tools.

I have very few tools, and I would buy a big set (the highly recommended Halfords 150 piece professional set), however it doesn't include any spanners over 19mm, so for all that money I still wouldn't have the right tools.

Because the guides reference different sizes (for example, the V-maxx guide doesn't mention a 16mm spanner, but the H&R guide does) I wondered if someone in the know could confirm an exact list of spanner and socket sizes I need to buy.

Thanks

Looking for 182
This picture suggests it's 24mm socket (based on the spanner having 24mm written on it, is that how it works?)

19.jpg

Can I just use an adjustable spanner for the whole lot?

Artic Blue 182 FF
the 150 piece set will do all of it apart from the top mount bolt. I ended up 'borrowing' a deep reach (swan neck) ring spanner from work to get on the bolt. however for my previous car i ended up breaking more allen keys than I could afford. So took it to a local garage and got the to buzz the two top nuts off. Once they are free or loosen youll have no real issues. Just find something to get some leverage on the top nut.

Looking for 182
the 150 piece set will do all of it apart from the top mount bolt. I ended up 'borrowing' a deep reach (swan neck) ring spanner from work to get on the bolt. however for my previous car i ended up breaking more allen keys than I could afford. So took it to a local garage and got the to buzz the two top nuts off. Once they are free or loosen youll have no real issues. Just find something to get some leverage on the top nut.

Thanks, I think I'll just get the 150 piece kit then for piece of mind and future proofing. I'll get a swan neck spanner as well, two of the guides on here say 21mm, one says 22mm, so I might just buy both to be safe.

Thanks all.

Artic Blue 182 FF
yer I cant recommend that kit enough. Has been the best buy of mine! I bought the two step up's to go with the kit and the silly long Halfords Pro breaker bar. Kit has done all the jobs so far on 3 Clio's a Fiesta and my 106 GTI. you wont regret the money!

Looking for 182
That's good to hear. I've just reserved it online and will pick it up at lunch. £129.99, gutted as it was £99.99 a week ago. Missed the boat on that one!

Just checked elsewhere and the top mount bolt is 21mm :)

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Buzz gun at a garage, they'll touch it and it'll free up, you could struggle for and hour on each side, but you may not have a problem, being a newer 182.

Looking for 182
Oh right, cool. They've been off in the last 4-5 months if that helps?

I'm really sorry for all the questions by the way.

Artic Blue 182 FF
I have a lovely spiralled allen key after doing the top mount bolts.. looks very pretty.. Totally uselss now. But best to just get the garage to do it.

Artic Blue 182 FF
yer definantly most nice peps at a garge would just get you to bring the car in they will just buzz the two nuts lose. then do them up hand tight as long as you only travel a short distance and then ur ready to take the struts out. make sure you leave the top nut on a little bit when you take weight off the wheels so that it make things easier to undo at the buh end. really very simple task once those top nuts are free

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
They do 100% not need to be done up tight. If they've been off that recently, I wouldn't even bother with a garage and would do it myself. Just make sure you take those off whilst the car is still on the ground and the full weight is still on that wheel.

Looking for 182
Ok cool, well I'll give it a go first myself.

As I understand:

1. Loosen top mount nut, but don't remove
2. Jack up, remove wheels
3. Undo hub bolts
4. Finally undo the top mount (which I loosened in step 1)
5. Remove strut
6. Dismantle
7. Put in new strut (reusing the top part from the old one)
8. Do top mount bolt loosely to hold in place
9. Do hub bolts
10. Wheels on and back on the ground
11. Tighten top mount nut

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Robert's your mother's brother.

Only thing, 11. Tighten top mount up, just nip it tight, do not over tighten.

You has a spring compressor to dismantle the existing one?

Clio 197
That's good to hear. I've just reserved it online and will pick it up at lunch. £129.99, gutted as it was £99.99 a week ago. Missed the boat on that one!

Just checked elsewhere and the top mount bolt is 21mm :)

good man - its a decent bit of kit

As said above once you get the spanner for the top of the mounts there is nothing stopping you giving it a go to undo with the car on the ground - failing that you can take it to the garage. You might not even need the allen key in place to crack it off..just the spanner (to give you maximum leverage with both hands) & once it has moved a tiny bit then get the allen key involved and undo

Good luck!

330i. E30 Touring.
No need for spring compressors mate.

As said, standard top mounts are 21mm.

Take it to a garage, and get them to loosen 'em with a buzz gun. I've had two top splines split on me before doing it by hand.

Golf GTD Mk7
WD both the top nut, and both the strut nuts before you do it. They will be tight as :eek: , and leave them for an hour our so.

Artic Blue 182 FF
I dont remember needing to use any spring compressors to get the top part of the strut apart.. might be a little bit of tension but nothing you cant push with your hands. Dont tighten the crap out of the top nut once back on ground not supposed to be silly tight.

Looking for 182
I really appreciate the help everyone :)

I don't have spring compressors as they we're needed when I helped put the Sportlines on.

Sunday is the big day, fingers crossed.

Artic Blue 182 FF
haha im with you there dude WhiteLine ARB arrived yesterday so thats going on this weekend if the weather is good.. Oh and new front wishbones and brakes for the old dears fiesta.. Hope the weather Is kind to us!!

Looking for 182
haha im with you there dude WhiteLine ARB arrived yesterday so thats going on this weekend if the weather is good.. Oh and new front wishbones and brakes for the old dears fiesta.. Hope the weather Is kind to us!!

yeah fingers crossed the weather holds out. Depending on how long the coilovers take I'll also be fitting new front and rear discs. I suppose it would make sense to do them at the same time.

Low!
yeah fingers crossed the weather holds out. Depending on how long the coilovers take I'll also be fitting new front and rear discs. I suppose it would make sense to do them at the same time.

The coilovers will only take you a few hours max, it's certainly not an all day job!

Spooky

ClioSport Club Member
  R5 GTT
If the dampers haven't been removed before its a good idea to WD40/Plusgas all the necessary bolts before you try and remove them.

They will definitely need to be 'cracked off' i.e breaker bar, extension with a socket just to break the seal thats occurred from the build up of s**t on the bolts/nuts from everyday driving.

You can never use too much WD40.

If you were nearby I'd offer to help out :cool:

Looking for 182
Thanks Spooky, shame you're not closer.

The dampers were off no more than 5 months or so ago, so hopefully I won't have that problem. The guy who fitted the Eibach springs when they were off cleared up a load of crap which had formed over the years.

I'll WD40 the top mount bolts the night before :)

Spooky

ClioSport Club Member
  R5 GTT
No worries.

You shouldn't have any real issues as long as you take your time.

Looking for 182
My main concern is getting it set up (ride height and camber) well enough to drive for a few weeks before I get it aligned and set up properly.

330i. E30 Touring.
Properly hit and miss.

Sometimes you'll be lucky and it'll drive alright after. Others, it'll drive like a bag of s**t.

Tread carefully for the first few drives.

Looking for 182
Properly hit and miss.

Sometimes you'll be lucky and it'll drive alright after. Others, it'll drive like a bag of s**t.

Tread carefully for the first few drives.

I'm going to read the Raceland coilover discussion thread (as I understand they're pretty much the same as K-tec coilovers) and get some setups from that as a starting point.

Looking for 182
I went to 4 different places and no one had a 21mm swan neck spanner so I was feeling very disheartened.

However, I went through the mish mash of my Dad's old tools and found one, it had imperial units on it but it fits perfectly. Thanks Dad (RIP!)

Also, I was in B&Q and noticed they had a practically identical 150 piece tool kit, although it was branded Torq or Torx, or something similar. It was £99.99, so just a heads up if anyone is interested.

Looking for 182
Sorry, probably boring now but I just tried to undo the top mounts and they were fine. Tightened them back up for now but will get to work first thing tomorrow :D